This is a symphonic/melodic black metal song my band has been working on, everything is essentially final apart from the guitar solo and the lyrics. We have a finished version of the lyrics and are recording it when I get home for my college break later this month. It's in the vein of Dimmu Borgir or later Emperor I would say. If you have any critique that would be awesome and I'll be sure to check out your song also

Peace,

Jake
Attachments:
I Am the Plague.gp5
I Am the Plague.gp4
Last edited by Nergal22691 at Nov 8, 2009,
This to me is no where near black metal!
id say more medolic metal if anything!
what you have is alright but its a bit repative and the riffs dont really make me what to listen to more.
i do like the instrumental section tho that first riff is awsome
6.5/10
Thanks for the crit. It is Symphonic/Melodic Black Metal though, listen some of Ihsahns solo work or the band Dreamscapes of the Perverse (both black metal that influenced this piece). The riffs weren't meant to be the point of the song. It doesn't come through so well on GP (does anything) but it is supposed to be more about creating a certain atmosphere with keyboards and the composition style. I approached it as a classical piece more so than stringing a bunch of riffs together so it's more about the various melodic and harmonic aspects then necessarily writing bad ass riffs. When we get it recorded i'll try to put it up so that you can hear what I mean...and thanks again! are there any songs you have you would like me to check out?
In my opinion this is a pretty solid song. Nothing really amazing(Expect the first riff in the instrumental section) and it certainly wasn't bad. I liked the chorus and the solos.
I don't really listen much of black metal so i can't compare this song to other black metal songs.
Intresting take as black metal.
It's very melodic and symphonic, maybe too happy for usual black metal song.
I know vocals will fix that problem .
It's heavy and dark, reminds me of winter and darkness. But the main thing is missing; Satan. This doesn't remind me of satan . Chorus has influence from metalcore. That's not either good for black metal, but you made it sound pretty dark, credits! Nice lyrics. Good guitar solo! Instrumental section is best part of the whole song!
8.5/10! Crit mine?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22183917#post22183917

Crit mine of the same genre ?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1209702&highlight=Melodic+black+metal
yeah i tried to avoid the Satan aspect and focus more on a dark atmosphere and winter a la Immortal haha and the metalcore thing was completely coincidence as I've never listened to metalcore really. Thanks for the crit and yeah I was for sure trying to get my own take on black metal haha
I loved this. I'm a huge fan of Dimmu AND Emperor

Nothing really to crit here (you're going for your own style anyway, right?)
Also yeah, the Satan thing gets old after awhile so it's probably good that you avoided that

9/10
Last edited by Z3r0747 at Nov 3, 2009,
Hmmm not much to say, you nailed the whole symphonic black metal thing lol.

I think the solos could use a bit less shredding, but thats just my taste, they are well done and go with the song.

i like the instrumental section alot, but i think you could go through the chorus once more before ending the song.

nicely done ^_^
mind looking at mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224551
Argh! My ears!

Please don't pan everything so extrememly, espeicially not the drums. I honestly can't think of a reason for it. It's just plain bad.

Now, with the pan set on '0' for everything, I'll begin my crit.

I'm not a fan of using Timpani for the vocals, so I turned that down.

This is a really good piece. there's not really anythng to criticise, apart from what I've already said, and that just came down to 'production' rather than the actual music. All of you riffs and melodies were top notch, but the standout was the start of the instrumental section.

The piece is quite short and, as others have said I think to tie it all together it needs the chorus again at the end. I would also like to hear a bit more from the instrumental section before the lead at 57. It's fine how it is, but I think something more along the lines of the first riff in there would provide a bit more contrast, and emphasise the climax.

Crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1225684
Any one who listens to Dimmu Borgir will understand how this piece fits into the genre. I personally think it is top notch. The solos were interesting because you don't usually hear those types of solos in black metal, even in this style of black metal. The riffs were all top notch. My only problem was it ended very abruptly. The instrumental section just ended then 3 chords later and its all over. I would be tempted to say it would be a lead into an acoustic guitar section personally.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
nothing was panned at all and I used the timpani for vocals because it's screaming and that just worked better because it's a more neutral pitch
it wans't that bad.But it's not blackmetal for me.If you wanna hear what blackmetal should sound like go and listen to Gorgoroth-Building a Man.You should get the idea from this song
I dont agree with all of the people saying it isnt black metal. It kind of calls to mind Emperor and Immortal a bit.

However, you need to pan things better. Some left, some right, not all right. And the timpani vocals were just annoying and got in the way. So I turned them off.

Most of the song was good, but some things kind of came out of nowhere... Like the ending, both solos... The solos were much too widdly-woo, nothing memorable about them. Sure, they were technical to an extent, but they need more melody and catchy licks, memorable parts. And the ending, came from nowhere, so the song felt rather incomplete.

Meh, personally, for melodic BM, I much prefer In Lingua Mortua, Kvist, and Artefact.
Yeah it's black metal...and I've already listened to Gorgoroth before and hate them..so writing in that style is not appealing to me at all. And as I said in my first post the solos are not how they are going to be recorded, its basically just filler because the guitarist is going to mainly improvise. I am adding an acoustic section where is ended and then the chorus again. I don't know why people are commenting on the panning. i have it set so that they are all at 0 exactly in the middle...and the timpani vocals are just to give a general idea of the rhythm of the vocals not pitch or anything (screaming) thanks for the crit though
Hey all i've done some adjusting and moving and adding of parts. i think i like it more but the ending is rather abrupt to me at least. If anybody has any thoughts on ways to improve it feel free to share. The new version is attached to this post in GP4 and GP5 (and the solos are still just filler because our lead guitarist will be improving them and my drums parts are essentially filler too because I don't feel like transcribing all the extra things I do) and I have it set so only the guitars are panned nothing else is so if it doesn't show up like that for you, thats not my fault.
Thanks to everyone who's given Helpful advice thus far...
Attachments:
I Am the Plague.zip
Quote by Nergal22691
nothing was panned at all and I used the timpani for vocals because it's screaming and that just worked better because it's a more neutral pitch

Well that's unusual. I was using the GP4 version and the drums, one guitar and the bass were all extremely panned to the right.
yeah the same thing happened when i opened the GP4 haha but not the GP4 i was just like well whatever what the hell haha
i liked the 2nd version more than the first.
the acoustic part was good, and the part after but i think the solo after that was unneccessary as like the chorus is.
it's too much
but in both version:
pros:
-intro
&verse, they are both atmospheric
-the instrumental section - best part imo.
-drums, simple but effective
-the phrasing of the vocals

cons:
-the bass - sounds off of key, and since it's supposed to be symphonic black metal it doesnt fit
-the same with the keys, despite the fact that its quite impossible to play it doesn't sound good with the chorus for example.
-needs some more variations, it would be enough to change the drum pattern, since there'll be vocals

all in all it wasnt bad, but there is still much to improve.

hm.. i think these are the major facts.
it seems that you could like my first song in the sig.

i could post you some ideas for your song, if you want.
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Holy shit nemesis, that was depressing.
Mission accomplished!
...i agree with most of what you say but I'm a piano major and I can say for sure that the keyboard parts aren't impossible to play. thats just how they would be recorded by me and then we have someone that plays the parts in a more stripped down version but with the same general chord structure. and the bass part in the chorus is meant to be dissonant i got tired of it following the guitars so i just ****ed with it a little and it actually works better with real instruments. and the keys of course sound bad because its midi. the drums are just filler (i'm the drummer) and that isn't how i actually play it i just was to lazy to transcribe my actual parts. but yeah if you have any ideas just post them that'd be great! and i'll check out Abyss Winds
I've never liked neoclassical stuff nor symphonic black metal, but you mix the orchestra pretty well here. Black metal? No. Dark metal, yes. Reminds me of Catamenia times to times. This is a good piece but definately not black metal.

I liked the rif***e, but the guitar solo was too long. Guitar solos don't even belong to black metal, and this one was way too upbeat.

As a black metal song: 6/10
As a melodic metal song: 8½/10

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1227704
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
there are plenty of guitar solos in black metal. Emperor plays guitar solos, Dimmu Borgir plays guitar solos, Immortal plays guitar solos, Dreamscapes of the Perverse plays guitar solos, Opeth who while not being strictly bm are bm influenced have guitar solos, I could go on but I think that will do now granted most bm solos are not like this one but at the same time why would I want to do something thats already been done?
Quote by Nergal22691
there are plenty of guitar solos in black metal. Emperor plays guitar solos, Dimmu Borgir plays guitar solos, Immortal plays guitar solos, Dreamscapes of the Perverse plays guitar solos, Opeth who while not being strictly bm are bm influenced have guitar solos, I could go on but I think that will do now granted most bm solos are not like this one but at the same time why would I want to do something thats already been done?

Yea but that's not a black metal guitar solo, that's a rock guitar solo.

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
it's a neo classical guitar solo yeah, but it works over the progression and it works with the song, and just because most black metal solos are a certain way doesn't mean I have to write them that way. it's not a rock solo because it's not in a penatonic scale. but the point of music isn't do write something a certain way because thats the way its always done, thats stupid
and if you read the thread I say several times that the solo is just filler as i'm the drummer and not the guitarist so I just threw in a bunch of classical violin type stuff. the lead guitarist will be the one doing the solos and he usually improvises so it doesn't really matter what the solo sounds like in guitar pro
It did seem more hardcore to me I have to say Maybe 'Blackcore' I liked the guitars and the drums mostly but the bass really seemed off. The instrumental part was good.
I'd say 7/10

EDIT: TYPO!!!!!!
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Nov 8, 2009,
I didn't write the bass part , the bassist did (and yes I am planning on revising that behind his back) Blackcore? oh s**t what have i started lol. thanks for the crit
Quote by Nergal22691
I didn't write the bass part , the bassist did (and yes I am planning on revising that behind his back) Blackcore? oh s**t what have i started lol. thanks for the crit

Good idea

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1227975
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Haha i just checked out your new song and gave it a crit. And i'm working on revising the song overall in terms of structure. Thanks again for the crit! You are one of the few helpful responses I got that wasn't just like well this isn't traditional black metal. So thanks for that
Hey dude I said it's a nice song but definately nowhere near black metal.

Quote by Sami Philadelph