I am a former guitar player who has really been intrigued to learn Bass. I know you guys have probably heard this before a lot on here, however I just need some advice. I think a 5 string bass would be the way to go because I vary from enjoying modern metal to softer music. I went to the store and tried a few Ibanez and LTD models and found it hard choosing between models. I know a lot about electric guitars but I am brain dead when it comes to bass pickups/woods but I did read the FAQ posted above.

Long story short any recommendations for a 5 string bass within the $300-$450 range? I don't want to go all out yet because I want to make sure I enjoy it and I will just be ruining it through a toneport for some recordings. Thanks for the help
if you're willing to spend a bit less a good recommendation would be the Rondo models. I just got a Douglas WOB in 3TSB and it is both beautiful and is a great bass. Also I hear good thing of the SXes. Many people say they rival if not beat many basses in your range.

But if not, the Cort Curbows are supposed to be pretty good too.
Dude, if you ever want an extented range guitar or bass(as in it has a longer scale length or more strings than a regular guitar or bass) then i'd suggest you go to Rondo music website. They sell high quality ERGs and ERBs for low prices(they have a 7 string guitar with almost the same specs as a schecter hellraiser for like $500). Unfortunately, they don't have a large bass selection and i'd assume that they probably have less 5 string basses. But you still might want to check em out.

Other than that, I'd say check out either LTD or B.C.Rich basses. I know a lot of people say B.C.Rich guitars are overpriced(and they truly are) but their 5 string and 6 string basses are good(although im not sure how expensive they are). LTD always has good guitars and basses but again i'm not sure of the price.

And then there's always Ibanez. I'm sure you could find a cheap Ibanez 5 string bass either second hand or possibly new. I've never really played an ibanez bass, but their guitars have crappy pickups so their basses might have that problem too.

So overall i'd say get a Rondo music bass. But if you would rather get one from an actual store(or you don't like the rondo ones) then i'd say LTD or B.C.Rich depending on how heavy you want to be(LTDs are more versatile).
Ok, first off, ESP/LTD basses are generally ok/good, but you can do much better. SX's seem to be a love it or hate it thing, but many people highly recommend them. Do not go the B.C. Rich route as suggested above, 5 string B.C. Rich basses in production are out of your price range, and B.C. Rich's generally have dubious quality on anything low-end.

You best bets would be an Ibanez SR305, a Peavey Millennium 5, a Cort Curbow 5, or a Schecter Stiletto 5. All are great basses, although the ESP/LTD's are ok too. Go try out as many as you can, see what feels best to you

EDIT: try going used too. If you look hard enough you may be able to grab a higher end Ibanez (like an SR505 or an ATK), a higher end Schecter, a Traben Array 5, or even a Fender if your lucky
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Nov 3, 2009,
Rondo? eh.

look at craigslist.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I have had many sx and agile guitars. Usually great guitars but I have had inconsistent experiences with the SX line. Thing is too I'm in Canada so usually it can be up to 100 for shipping and duties so sometimes they are not always the best value. BC Rich has never done anything for me guitar wise, but I have had good experiences with esp/ltd/ibanez/schecter. I will check out the models mentioned. Thank you very much
Quote by Tostitos
Ok, first off, ESP/LTD basses are generally ok/good, but you can do much better. SX's seem to be a love it or hate it thing, but many people highly recommend them. Do not go the B.C. Rich route as suggested above, 5 string B.C. Rich basses in production are out of your price range, and B.C. Rich's generally have dubious quality on anything low-end.

You best bets would be an Ibanez SR305, a Peavey Millennium 5, a Cort Curbow 5, or a Schecter Stiletto 5. All are great basses, although the ESP/LTD's are ok too. Go try out as many as you can, see what feels best to you

EDIT: try going used too. If you look hard enough you may be able to grab a higher end Ibanez (like an SR505 or an ATK), a higher end Schecter, a Traben Array 5, or even a Fender if your lucky

I disagree, B.C.Rich basses are pretty okay as long as you are playing downtuned stuff(for some reason no b c rich guitar i've ever played sounded good in E standard) and LTD basses are freakin great(again, catered more towards metal but still good overall). ESPs are a lot more expensive so i doubt you would get one of those. Ibanez basses suck IMO the bassist in my band has one and it's crap.

As far as Peavey goes, i'm more into their amps than their guitars so i haven't played much of their stuff and i've never heard of cort. Shecters are good for their price, but their necks are like wide as balls.

In the end, i'd agree with this guy though: try used guitars. I doubt you will get a fender(but if you can fidn a cheap one, buy it) but at a guitar store you can get a used schecter or ibanez for quite cheap and i'm sure it's cheaper from a regular person, so try craigslist or ebay.
I'm going to back up the recommendation for the Ibanez SR305, it's a good 5-string intro bass, and seems to be tailor made to your needs.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
What would you guys say about Brice basses? I'm considering a 5 or 6 from rondo.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
A Schecter Omen Extreme-5 just hits the mark at $450. I own one, and I love it. Feels great and isn't too heavy either.
For that you may be able to score a used 505 Ibanez. Or a 305 used. If you are not bothered by the tight string spacing they are really great basses for the price.
Quote by LogasV2
A Schecter Omen Extreme-5 just hits the mark at $450. I own one, and I love it. Feels great and isn't too heavy either.

Question here, I tried a Omen 5 and Stiletto 5 in that price range, the omen was mahogony and the stiletto i think was basswood. With my past experiences with elec guitars, mahogony was usually always better than basswood. Same general rule of thumb with basses?
I own a stilleto and it's mahogany. Unless they changed the spec it should be mahogany. I've heard some users on here dislike mahogany for bass but I like it. The schecter sounded a bit bright for my taste but that was because of the pickups, I believe. My Ibanez btb775pb is mahogany and sounds very deep.

The general rule of thumb(as I understand it) is: The denser(heavier) the wood the deeper the tone will be.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Nirvana00125
I disagree, B.C.Rich basses are pretty okay as long as you are playing downtuned stuff(for some reason no b c rich guitar i've ever played sounded good in E standard) and LTD basses are freakin great(again, catered more towards metal but still good overall). ESPs are a lot more expensive so i doubt you would get one of those. Ibanez basses suck IMO the bassist in my band has one and it's crap.

As far as Peavey goes, i'm more into their amps than their guitars so i haven't played much of their stuff and i've never heard of cort. Shecters are good for their price, but their necks are like wide as balls.

In the end, i'd agree with this guy though: try used guitars. I doubt you will get a fender(but if you can fidn a cheap one, buy it) but at a guitar store you can get a used schecter or ibanez for quite cheap and i'm sure it's cheaper from a regular person, so try craigslist or ebay.

From almost all of your statements, I'm assuming your a guitar player, in which case I'm not going to bother defending my previous statements and recommendations/argue (I mean no disrespect towards your opinions, forgive me if I come off as harsh here).

On the more pressing question of mahogany and basswood, basswood is light, and almost transparent. It doesn't "color" the tone really. Mahogany is warmer and deeper, and much much heavier
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
because one company makes good guitars does not mean they'll make good basses. ever hear that drummer joke about the Fender Les Paul with the Fried Rose bridge?

it is not just drummers.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I hate to hijack a thread but this is hardly enough to warrant a new thread.

These are three rondo basses I'm considering because I'd like a 5 or 6 string (Slightly on topic) but can't spend a whole bunch. One 5 string and two 6'ers, one of which is fretless. I have two 4 stringers and one is fretless. I'm quite partial to a fretless but having frets is nice too.
http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb406blkq.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb406blackqfl.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/HXB405NATSPALT.HTML
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Revelation
The general rule of thumb(as I understand it) is: The denser(heavier) the wood the deeper the tone will be.

I always thought of it as the other way around. The denser the wood, the brighter the tone. Think of an all-maple bass and how bright it would be. Maple is a very dense wood and has a very bright tone, whereas mahogany is noticeably less dense and has a much deeper tone.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I believe tighter pores (wrong word?) give a brighter sound. So pretty much, more dense wood.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
the tone wood thread gives a description. its more than density, its about silica and density and ring tightness.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by anarkee
For that you may be able to score a used 505 Ibanez. Or a 305 used. If you are not bothered by the tight string spacing they are really great basses for the price.

I have decided to get a 4 string instead. I like the look of the SR300, but I used to always hear agathis often referred to as deadwood lol. Any comments on this? Would I be better off getting either a basswood or mahogony Schecter such as the omen extreme 4 or stiletto extreme? All have felt good too me, I didn't have a chance to plug in however.
the wood agathis, while it does not enhance, neither does it take away. Ibanez made pickups that perform well with that, go ahead. get it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I need to figure out one, if I'm getting a five or six string then what to get. I wouldn't mind another fretless either.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Hey guys I came across a used Ibanez SRX590 for a fairly cheap price (around 350 Canadian).Anyone have any experience with this bass, I know it is not currently made.
I don't have experience with it but I would think it's a good bass.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Tostitos
From almost all of your statements, I'm assuming your a guitar player, in which case I'm not going to bother defending my previous statements and recommendations/argue (I mean no disrespect towards your opinions, forgive me if I come off as harsh here).

On the more pressing question of mahogany and basswood, basswood is light, and almost transparent. It doesn't "color" the tone really. Mahogany is warmer and deeper, and much much heavier

I play both guitar and bass. I started playing bass, but quickly switched to guitar, and then I figures I'd just practice both. So I mainly play guitar, but can play both and know a lot about both. And I defend all of my statements. I personally think Ibanez guitars and basses suck unless you feel like forking out the money to switch the pups or you are buying their ERG's or ERB's(just because ibanez necks are thinner than any other brand i've found except maybe Agiles).
I love a lot of Ibanez basses for the pickups.

Anyone want to help me with decided if I should get a Brice or not and which one if I do?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Nirvana00125
I play both guitar and bass. I started playing bass, but quickly switched to guitar, and then I figures I'd just practice both. So I mainly play guitar, but can play both and know a lot about both. And I defend all of my statements. I personally think Ibanez guitars and basses suck unless you feel like forking out the money to switch the pups or you are buying their ERG's or ERB's(just because ibanez necks are thinner than any other brand i've found except maybe Agiles).

I'm sorry if I caused offense. Too each his own, I do not mean to criticize, and I'd rather not get into an argument. At least we agree that searching used instruments is a good idea eh?

BladeSlinger, whats your budget look like? The low prices on those Brice models worries me that the hardware or quality control may be sketchy, although I have heard good recommendations about those basses
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
300 USD is about the limit. I want a 5 or 6 string but at the same time I don't want something that's going to fall apart. I've considered more name brand stuff like the Squire 5 string J bass or an Ibanez SR305. I'd probably replace the pickups of whatever I get eventually.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Nirvana00125
I play both guitar and bass. I started playing bass, but quickly switched to guitar, and then I figures I'd just practice both. So I mainly play guitar, but can play both and know a lot about both. And I defend all of my statements.

Well you're probably the only bass player on this site that like lower end BC Rich basses
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Forgot about this thread. Anyone want to help out? I've found some used MIM 5 strings on eBay and I should be going to Guitar Center soon to test some stuff out. I'm kind of leaning toward the newer but lower models unless I can find a really cheap MIM soon.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The BC Rich WMD Widow, even though I have never actually played one, is supposed to be a great 5 string for playing metal
Quote by tbirdblue42
The BC Rich WMD Widow, even though I have never actually played one, is supposed to be a great 5 string for playing metal

Trust me, they're not. Most people on here hate anything that isn't the Zombie Classic when it comes to BC Rich
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Hmmm... Well, I was pretty intrigued by the long neck it has, which keeps the stings taught at lower tuning. That's probably the thing I hate most about my Thunderbird.
1 inch actually doesn't really affect it very much.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard