i noticed these guitars have 3 humbuckers. havent seen one in person so i havent had the chance to try one out. but for those who have, what did you think of the HHH configuration? i dont know if ive seen that on any other guitar so maybe its not a real winner of a setup? if all 3 pups were 4 conductor, then it seems there's a lot of potential there for lots of different tones.

thoughts?

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

theres a black beauty at my local guitar shop that only has 2 humbuckers maybe they arent all the same
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
most of them that i've seen are HHH...and they sounded pretty good too. The only complaints that I see from people with them is that the gold wears off the hardware really fast.
tbh, im not a fan of 3 humbuckers because i fing the middle one gets in the way with picking as i use quite a lot of the pick. i tried out an epiphone nd i thought that it sounded pretty good but i was struggling to play because my pick kept on hitting the middle humbucker
its great if u want to pop in 3 completely different pickups for 3 sounds. but to be honest, i never use my middle pickup. i got the black beauty over a regular custom just because i like how the 3rd pickup looked.

^theres an edit button for a reason...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
The original Black Beauty was introduced in 1954 when Les Paul asked for a guitar to match his stage suit. The Bridge pickup was a P90 and the Neck one was a P90 sized Alnico V single coil commonly knows as the Staple. After the Humbucker was introduced in 1957, Les Paul Customs were given 3 pickups with the middle and neck permanently wired together, possibly out of phase. That made the sound more like the earlier Alnico V magnet one without the hum. When the Custom was re-introduced in the early sixties, after the SG shape era, it had only two pickups as standard but 3 pickup versions were often available.
Current 3 pup models have a rotary switch to allow separation of the middle pickup but the contortions needed to switch around in the middle of a song probably do little for their popularity. Maybe we'll see the middle on a push-pull one day.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I have a Dean Cadillac with 3 humbuckers & love it...but can't compare it to the H/S/H or S/S/H setups because I don't own a guitar like that.

I use it mainly for playing in Fripp's NST- C/G/D/A/E/G- and I get a nice variety of tones out of it. I don't notice any less sustain vs other guitars I own.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I agree with the guy that mentioned the middle humbucker getting in the way a lot. I do it with any three pickup guitar but at least with SSS/HSH configurations I can work around it.
Les Paul Traditional '08
Fender American Strat '99
Martin D16
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
535 Crybaby-Whammy-Small Clone-DD7 Delay

"I have a very high EQ--something like 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz." Harrison
I have had several Gibson 3 pup LPs including 2 Ace Frehley Custom Shop ones over the years and I have to say I don't think I ever used the middle (mid) pup. I loved all of them it broke my heart to sell of the Ace custom shops. It still brings a tear to my eye when I think about seeing them go to new homes.

I am pretty sure two pup all Black with Gold hardware LPs were called Black Beauties as well. The three Gold pups do look sexy as hell though.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot I had a Silver Blue Epi version of it too.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Nov 3, 2009,
the way i pick, the mid pup on SSS strats gets in my way. i dont know what id do if there was a humbucker there instead! it would still be interesting to try to see what different tones i can get from it. thats interesting about the rotary switch. i never knew how these things were wired up.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

I used to get hung up on the middle pickups shortly after getting my Dean (and a later S/S/S Jon Kammerer guitar)- but the more I practiced, the less it happened. I almost never have that occur anymore.

So, just out of curiosity, I ask those who have this picking issue- how much practice have you had with a 3 pickup guitar?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
if the middle pickup gets in ur way u can lower it in all the way level with the mounting ring, or even get a thinner ring. i did the first and i have no problems. i had more problems with the middle pickup on a strat. its just the way the body is, it just doesnt get in my way.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC