Page 1 of 2
Anyone hear this story on the news this morning?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1224906/First-1000-UK-train-fare-Newquay-Kyle-Lochalsh-sparks-outrage-soaring-prices.html

A first class ticket from Newquay to a place on the west coast of Scotland will set you back £1002. Is it any wonder that the first-class carriage is ALWAYS empty whenever I get on ANY train.

Bit of a disgrace in my opinion.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
its bloody expensive going anywhere on the train now

My day out to London on saturday is going to cost me 75 quid alone in train fares

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by BlackLuster
My day out to London on saturday is going to cost me 75 quid alone in train fares

Loser.
For some reason I can usually get a 1st class ticket from Sheffield to Scarborough or vice versa for a few quid cheaper than standard class. Which makes little sense to me

Not that has any bearing on this conversation, but it is another similar story of UK train madness
Quote by BlackLuster

crap. a trip across the state for me is about 7 bucks...
but we're in minnesota, and it's probably a shorter trip than yours
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
It costs £7.10 just to get to Southend

Would honestly be cheaper to drive.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by mikko 9119
crap. a trip across the state for me is about 7 bucks...
but we're in minnesota, and it's probably a shorter trip than yours

It's about 300 miles, but most train fares in this country are just extortionate.

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by BlackLuster

if you book up more in advance it will be alot cheaper
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan

Yes, but that relies on one making their plans weeks or months in advance. That's just ridiculously inconvenient.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by rancidryan

It was a surprise that I was able to go, so I only had about 3 weeks to book it.
Even if you book it months in advance, you don't often get that much discount.

It might be because I have to travel with North Eastern Trains, but the cheapest I've ever got to London and back is for about 50 quid.

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by freddaahh
Yes, but that relies on one making their plans weeks or months in advance. That's just ridiculously inconvenient.

Never quite understood why people rail at paying more when they could simply go at the time that, chances are, they'd go anyway for about a third of the price. I got from Derby to London and back for £30 the other day. I'd say that's pretty convenient.
Quote by BlackLuster

You need to book in advance mate, theres massive saving to be made
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Kumanji
Never quite understood why people rail at paying more when they could simply go at the time that, chances are, they'd go anyway for about a third of the price. I got from Derby to London and back for £30 the other day. I'd say that's pretty convenient.

I find £30 pretty steep, actually. It cost me around £30 to get from Bath to London and back, with a student discount anyway, and I think that's far too much.

Quote by Kumanji
Free-for-all privatisations = bungling and costs to the end user.

Not exactly. If there were more competition with train companies, then prices would fall - look at aeroplane tickets and how cheaply one can fly now. That's the logic behind a lot of privatisations, keep costs down through competition.

But with trains, it's very difficult to have multiple companies competing due to the fact that trains are limited by rails, and too many trains on the rails would lead to crashes, or just very tricky arrangements of time tables. So what's happened is one company pretty much has total control over their region, First is dominant, and since there's no competition, they can hike up prices. So yeah, with trains, nationalise them, but not all privatisation is bad.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by xander307
You need to book in advance mate, theres massive saving to be made

As i said, didn't have any advance warning so I've just had to book it recently.

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by freddaahh
I find £30 pretty steep, actually. It cost me around £30 to get from Bath to London and back, with a student discount anyway, and I think that's far too much.

Not exactly. If there were more competition with train companies, then prices would fall - look at aeroplane tickets and how cheaply one can fly now. That's the logic behind a lot of privatisations, keep costs down through competition.

But with trains, it's very difficult to have multiple companies competing due to the fact that trains are limited by rails, and too many trains on the rails would lead to crashes, or just very tricky arrangements of time tables. So what's happened is one company pretty much has total control over their region, First is dominant, and since there's no competition, they can hike up prices. So yeah, with trains, nationalise them, but not all privatisation is bad.

Far more often than not, there are cartels and rings that form around post-privatization companies. Look at the gas suppliers in this country. Wholesale gas has fallen to around 1/3 of what it was, and customers have seen little appreciable difference in prices. It has always been thus...

But yes, nationalize the railways again! We're damned if Cameron will, mind.
It's getting bad here in Canada too. Costs 25 bucks to go to London from here (100 km). So 50 bucks there and back, for a 1 hour ride...

And it's like 100-150 to get to Toronto and back (300 km there, 600 both ways)...
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Any price to get out of newquay.
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
I'd say just take a greayhound. They are pretty cheap, although very uncomfy.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Ah well... I guess they just have a strange way of saying they want the whole rail network to be closed down; keep it up!
404: Sig not found.
Quote by Kumanji
Oh, and two words.

DAILY FAIL.
Two more words.

DAMN STRAIGHT.
404: Sig not found.
lol it cost me £40 to go from Edinburgh to Aberdeen about 6 months ago standard off peak imagine what thats like when it peak time its pretty despicable.

Also from where i live from Linlithgow to Glasgow is about what £12 now its totally horrendous if you are like me and love to gig a lot now the train costs more than my Set your goal's ticket rofl its pretty pathetic and they moan at us for not using public transport?
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Ridiculous, my dad and I have booked return flights for two to Spain for a penny each, (6 months in advance) then paid about twenty quid airport tax. In Italy I've gone on a 100 mile+ train journey (and back) in a warm, clean train for under 10 Euros, bought the ticket on the day with no weird discount.

Privatisation = epi fail.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
You can complain about rail fares all you like, its still the cheapest (and greenest for you hippies) form of medium-distance travel around.

The only realistic alternative for the distances involved is the car - but not only do you actually have to buy a car, you have to insure it (not cheap), and you have to fuel it (which really is expensive). Added to that the economic and logistic ramifications of 200 people travelling in 200 cars as opposed to 1 train ie carbon emissions and traffic volumes.

Anyway, the reason behind all this is not directly because of Privitisation, rather the way train operating companies are run on a contract basis. If you run a train operating company whos on a 10 year contract to operate a certain francise, wheres the incentive to improve services, attract more people onto trains and ultimately give people value for money? The short answer is there is none, because in 10 years time youll have to hand the francise back anyway...

Personally i think we should all buy horses. Doesnt cost much to run, and if you fill it up on grass in Carlisle, by the time it crosses the border itll be sh***ing all over Scotland. Two birds with one stone.
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Depends on which service you use.

I got a return ticket to Norfolk and it only cost me £27, which is reasonable to me.
I can get train tickets for a tenner usually, provided I leave at a certain time.
Went from Dublin to Cork last week for that price.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Costs like £36 on a motorcycle if I calculated correctly (3 l/100 km, 1140 km according to google directions).
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Costs like £36 on a motorcycle if I calculated correctly (3 l/100 km, 1140 km according to google directions).

Bear in mind that it's always raining and cold in Scotland.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Unlike england

Looks quaint as hell, I wouldn't mind going there.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Ur all $h1t

looks outside.Nope no rain here today.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Kensai
Unlike england

Looks quaint as hell, I wouldn't mind going there.

Pssh, they wouldn't know quaint if it bit them in the ass.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Page 1 of 2