I am into alternative/punk rock. Need something that takes pedals well. I play obscure stuff like Nirvana (not so obscure) Meat Puppets, Sonic youth etc. I would really enjoy having decent cleans to. It needs to be able to produce good feedback (controllable) Preferably a tube halfstack. I would like the head to be able to produce practice levels and gig levels. However at the moment i don't play gigs seeing as how its an online band.

Approx. Price Range - 500-650ish its Christmas so not sure.

hopefully tube but it doesnt really matter..

Willing to go used.
Last edited by WinterEagle5 at Nov 3, 2009,
Blackstar HT-5...I know this is the cliche response around here but it is a great amp. You def don't need a halfstack though (granted this is a half stack..but mini). It has great tone and is right in your budget.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
find a used marshall plexi head and cabinet on craiglist. you might have to wait to find this in your price range, and together they might go up to $750, but it would be perfect. alot of people will tell you that a plexi at less than $1200 or so is impossible, but i once bought a 93 (?) reissue for $600. (i of course sold it for $1300, but it sounded great!)
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Quote by chuckmehh
Blackstar HT-5...I know this is the cliche response around here but it is a great amp. You def don't need a halfstack though (granted this is a half stack..but mini). It has great tone and is right in your budget.

i was looking for a halfstack so that i could power my floor moniters, or a cab, and its not really bedroom levels, i have my own studio.

i havent looked much into a Blackstar but i reckon i shall.
dont hold me to this, but a pre amp is what the signal runs through before the EQ. the power amp actually amplifies the signal before it goes to the speakers/cabinet
Are there any mid size tube amps? my 25 watt SS is good enough for me but I'd really like to get a be able to achieve more articulate stuff like the stuff off in utero. Idk why but i've just always wanted a half stack... lol

so you could have this setup

Pre-Amp
Power Amp
Cab

as opposed to

Head
Cab
?
Quote by WinterEagle5
Are there any mid size tube amps? my 25 watt SS is good enough for me but I'd really like to get a be able to achieve more articulate stuff like the stuff off in utero. Idk why but i've just always wanted a half stack... lol

so you could have this setup

Pre-Amp
Power Amp
Cab

as opposed to

Head
Cab
?

Yes you can definitely do that instead...That's what a lot of pro musicians do any why you don't see heads on top of their cabs many times. They have a power amp and pre amp separately in a rack off stage.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Wouldn't this be the more expensive route?

could i use a pre-amp with my combo or not?

thanks btw.