I would rather shop at Musician's Friend for my music needs
10 10%
I have no preferences
25 25%
I would rather shop at a different music retail chain
8 8%
Voters: 102.
Hey everyone,
I am a student at st. John Fisher college in Rochester NY and working on a project for PR class where I hypothetically suggest ways for Guitar Center to improve its customer service and image. I do not work for GC (I am a musician though) and was hoping if you guys would be nice enough to take my poll.

The point of the poll is to first gauge some public opinion on GC. I will probably go to some other forums and ask around just so I have some sort of evidence to show that yes..Guitar Center may have a bit of an image problem.

thanks,
BigDMcgee
I would rather shop at the local music store. It's closer than the guitar center to my house anyway.
Last edited by skaterskagg1 at Nov 3, 2009,
sure GC is a pain in the ass to go to, but they have a load of stuff and decent prices (especially if u can haggle, or ur buying used, their used priced are amazing). musiciansfriend is good too if u know what u want to buy and have already tried it in real life. local shops just cant compete. if i had the money, i would support the local businesses, but i dont, so GC for me.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
From my experience, and i been to a couple of Guitar Centers.
Everything in guitar center looks horrible taken care of and usually the people working there have no idea what they are talking about.

I vote for Ebay.
I usually go to my local place for stuff like setups, strings, picks, etc. But if I'm gonna buy a new guitar or amp or something I usually go to GC.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
TS- perhaps you should have made one choice "I'd rather shop online"

Where I am, it's like 35 minutes to the closest music store, so online always wins.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
There's a GC down the street from me so it's convenient to just buy things like strings and cables from there when I need them. As for gear and guitars it's best to try them out at GC and buy them online somewhere
They should have a quick check register that always has someone at it, for accessories/strings, picks, all the stuff they keep behind the counter, and for people who know what they want. They should provide on line consultations and offer appointments.
Theres no guitar center near me (I dunno if theres any GC's in Canada), but if I apply the poll to the big chain guitar stores around here, my vote goes to 'I'd rather shop at a local store'

mostly because I work at one

but it really depends what I'm buying. If I need parts for modding/building, I buy from the small shop. the owner gets retailer discounts, and he usually makes an order at the same time I do. I pay shipping for both, so he just saves the shipping cost of his own parts, really.
obviously he wouldn't do that for everyone, but in general, for parts, the small shop is where to go.

for expensive items, the small shop is a better deal, as well, even to normal customers.

but for pedals/straps/strings/anything under $200, he big place is usually cheaper.

so.. tl;dr: I like shopping at a local store

but I don't see how that relates to your question.

I like shopping at a local store, and for GC to improve their customer service, they should ...become a small buisness?
The cool thing about GC is they match prices of on line stores. You can get the same prices as musician's friend, without having to pay for shipping and wait a week for it to arrive.
GC can improve their image by ceasing to hire arrogant, self-important, pompous assholes as salesmen. Too many either end up making customers feel insulted, or they piss people off by trying to rip them off even though the customer may know what's going on.
They should hire people who actually know what they're talking about, what they're selling, and how to respond to technical questions. The biggest issue I have with GC is that almost every time I've gone into one, the people I've talked to have no clue what they're talking about and/or selling.

They should also teach their employees NOT to hover around potential customers. It's well known bad business practice.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Nov 3, 2009,
huuh... I don't know if this applies to me since I don't live in the US, but I voted for I have no preferences.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
I've never had these GC problems that everyone else seems to have, Its most convenient to me to fulfill my musical needs at GC.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
the local store near me really sucks. they have like 3 guitars that are way overpriced, and the guitar center's only about 20 minutes away, and a sam ash across the street, so for me, gc wins

as someone had already said i like going to the local store for little things like strings and picks etc but if im gonna buy a new amp or guitar or cymbals i'm gonna go to gc or sam ash
I have a local shop I use. I avoid chains when shopping for anything. Local business ftw!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
No preference. Everyone who works at a music store for comission needs help, and the guys at my local GC are good, better than Haight Ashbury music, which is full of tards.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
You guys must have crappy local music stores if you prefer guitar center.

Here in Albuquerque we have a music store called Grandma's. They don't cycle employees like chain stores do. Most of them have worked at the store for years and they are both great musicians and know their gear. They are also really friendly and many of them recognize me now. Also, their prices sh1t all over the prices of other stores, online outlets. I got a Schecter C-1 Bloodmoon their for $450 over there. The average asking price of GC and most online retailers of that same guitar is about $600. That's the average price difference between them and the internet/GC. And if against all odds you do find a lower price somewhere else, they will match it.
i live in Canada and i dont believe we have GC's here
i go local anyways
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Local is nice since the GC's in my area all carry pretty much the same things with little variation. Its nice to be able to find some good used instruments and gear of the "rare brand" type. But if I need new strings or a strap, GC all the way, its usually cheaper. Instruments/amps, local shops.

Might go to GC more if they did a better job with their employees/training ect. They cycle employees too much it seems, and they don't always know what they're talking about. Hell, at my local GC I've sold 5 or 6 basses and a couple amps to people while I was just chillin in guitar center, and I don't even work there. The only thing the GC employees had to do was ring them up
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
1) Go to local music store.
---They have what I want. Done.
---They do not have what I want. Proceed to step 2.
2) Go to guitar center.
---They have what I want. Done.
---They do not have what I want. Proceed to step 3.
3) Buy it online (preferably musician's friend).
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Nov 3, 2009,
I would shop wherever I could get the best deal.
Quote by BladeSlinger
If I was 21 I'd buy you a crystal decanter full of 100 year old brandy to commend you.
Quote by renk
another one of these GC threads this time disguised as "Class Project" ..

Yes....because thats what I do in my spare time....disguise posts as other posts rather than just say what's on my mind

BTW one of the huge things I'm pushing for in the paper is to try to suggest changes in the commission structure. Although GC would initially balk at how that would hurt their bottom line, what they should understand is that even the largest companies will go under if they keep going on the track of bad PR begetting bad PR. In the best interest of the company's future, they really should downplay commission.
Last edited by BigDMcgee at Nov 7, 2009,
ive been to multiple guitar centers, and multiple local stores, and usually guitar center has been way more helpful to me, plus they have a wider selection
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!