So you have one of your favourite albums and decide to listen to it all the way through, how do you feel when you listen to it? Do you just listen to each song as a single thing, or do you think of the album as a whole kind of story.

This came to me the other day, because i thought of some of my favourite albums, some aren't my favourite artists but the albums just remind me of certain times in my life, but i sort of associate each song with a time of day or a place or something, so the first song of the album might be morning time or daytime, then as the album goes on, it seems like the last songs are where it is sort of getting onto night, and i wasn't sure if people thought about things in a similar way.

TL;DR-Does anyone else listen to a full album and associate it with a certain timespan like a day, month or year?
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Me personally I'll listen to an entire album only thinking about each individual song that i'm currently listening to.
I'll only think of the album as a whole while listening if I know that the album i'm listening to is meant to be a concept album. Even then, I'll still listen to each song as a single thing first before expanding into more detail.
Quote by Lindsay47
Me personally I'll listen to an entire album only thinking about each individual song that i'm currently listening to.
I'll only think of the album as a whole while listening if I know that the album i'm listening to is meant to be a concept album. Even then, I'll still listen to each song as a single thing first before expanding into more detail.

+1. I do that, too.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
i don't listen to whole albums because i don't like all songs by a certain artists. but i put my iPod on a certain artist and it reminds me of my life and how the song has been there for a major part of it.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
Sometimes, yes.

I can pick one album off the top of my head at least that starts out all happy and upbeat, then sorts of does whatever for a while, then the last two songs always remind me of a dark, half-asleep mood.
Any album starting with Thunder Road and finishing with Jungleland is worth listening to from beginning to end.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Really deepnds on the album, since I listen to whole albums regularly (listening to all of The Cancer Conspiracy's "Omega" again, at the moment).

And, usually,I don't think of certains times of my life, but I do, at times. Usually I take in the atmosphere of it all, and start getting vivid imagery of the songs looks like in my mind. Whether it be some sort of scenery in the world, or some type of situation, like a music video, etc.

My thought patterns while listening to music are kind of odd, and I absolutely love it.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Karvid
Any album starting with Thunder Road and finishing with Jungleland is worth listening to from beginning to end.

No way man, the last album was WAAAYYY better
I usually listen to them as seperate songs, unless they're connected. For example the latter side of Abbey Road, I don't really listen to the songs separately.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I think of each of them as classic works, essentials, sort of the same way you might treat literature. Even albums that others consider okay (i.e. Hail to the Thief).
I always think about when I discovered said band, if I listen to the album.

EX - Hybrid Theory, grade 4.

EX - The Wall, grade 7.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
I usually try to especially if its an album that I bought. For example i recently bought the new Atreyu album, Congregation of the Damned. I like listening to the album in full instead of the individual songs. When I think of the songs like on the end of the album i don't really like them, but when i listen to the album as a whole the songs at the end are real good.

p.s. eff off i like atreyu