(I have searched this)

One thing that i want to set straight first - is the Marshall MG15FX REALLY that bad? Ive heard about a general kind of hate for them on these forums, but really, is it totally a no-go?

Ok, this is my situation. I have a crappy starter pack MG10CD, very small, i got it 4.5 years ago when i started playing, along with a Squier Strat. Ive since upgraded my guitar to an Epi Les Paul Standard (which is great) and ive also got a Dunlop GCB45 wah-wah (the original one). so as you can guess, im mainly a rock kind of guy, i like stuff that Slash plays a bit of classic rock, and im also partial to garage blues bands like the White Stripes and Black Keys. So mainly rock, blues-rock etc.

Also, i would sadly admit that im a bit of bedroom hero. It annoys me, but there is almost no opportunity for young bands in my town, and also almost none of my friends play instruments, etc. But i would like to start playing out, so this next amp for me should probably be loud enough for band rehearsals, not necesserily gigging, but also small enough for home practice.

Now ive narrowed down my search to 2 main contenders - the Vox VT15 and the Marshall MG15FX. Both are 15 watt, and can i ask, is this loud enough for a band rehearsal context? Both have a number of FX, which arent totally necessary for me, but they are nice to have and both are big names, well inside my price range (which is about £100-£200).

My question (as well as all the little questions above) is: which one? Vox or Marshall? Or, can you suggest any others from what ive said?

Many thanks,
SMAiTY
Quote by PapaSchumpf
it has to be good. jonas brothers play the bigger version of it

Member of Les Paul Liberators...Click here if you have a Les Paul
Rate my songs... Here
The MG series aren't bad PRACTICE/BEDROOM amps...but there are better amps out there in the price range. I'm not sure 15 watts solid state is going to be enough for you to practice with a drummer though. If you're looking for a practice amp with built in effects...have a look at the Peavey Vypyr. Might be your best bet with that budget...unless you can find a Line 6 Flextone used or something along those lines.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Nov 3, 2009,
No the MG isn't that bad at low volumes... when it starts to get louder or the high wattage version is what gives it it's bad rep mostly IMO. That being said, for a little more money you could find a much better amp. Have you played both of these amps? Also,

Budget?
Genres/Bands?
Nearest major city?

EDIT: Okay so it sounds like you are only open to buying a Marshall or a Vox because that's what Slash uses, right? Marshall and Vox doesn't mean anything... it's just a brand. If you are dead set on 2 different sub-par amps because of their brand then you're not going to be happy with yourself in the long run...
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Nov 3, 2009,
Thanks ^^ But out of the 2? I have just seen another thread on this so much for searching!
Quote by PapaSchumpf

Rate my songs... Here
i wouldnt pick one out of those 2 amps. They are both bad amps, sorry thats the truth.
i recommend something with about 30 watts for what you want.
Check out the peavey range of amps
how flexible is your budget? are you planning any other guitar related purchases soon? what's the heaviest stuff you play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dude you have a LP, a Marshall, and a Crybaby!??

Thats the same rig that Slash uses!! I bet you have awesome tone!?

Get the MG15! Its gonna be the same amp that you have only with more headroom so you can crank it and get a better tone!
Quote by J.J.G.
i wouldnt pick one out of those 2 amps. They are both bad amps, sorry thats the truth.
i recommend something with about 30 watts for what you want.
Check out the peavey range of amps

actually IMO the vox VT series are the best modelling amps out there! I'd reccomend the VT30 or 50, because they have the bigger speaker and also the level control on the back so no volume worries - try and get the footswitch as well!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Dude you have a LP, a Marshall, and a Crybaby!??

Thats the same rig that Slash uses!! I bet you have awesome tone!?

Get the MG15! Its gonna be the same amp that you have only with more headroom so you can crank it and get a better tone!

Peavey Vypyr.
its got great tone and very diverse but id go look into the vox 30 valvetronix also cuz i have heard all good things about it. i got a vypyr cuz it has more distortion and amp models and effects for my style.
but id def at least get a 30w to play over a drummer, but seriously go try your opinions out and pick what u like best
thanks, i suppose my budget can stretch to 30W, so the VT30 is an option.... I dont play majorly heavy stuff, but i might look into the Pavey, correct me if im wrong, but arent they more 'metal' than the others? sorry if im being obnoxious!
Quote by PapaSchumpf

Rate my songs... Here
For classic/blues rock and the like I would personally go for the Vox. Out of all the modelling amps I've ever used this one does mid-gain sounds the best. In your price range I reckon it's the best thing for you.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by smaity
thanks, i suppose my budget can stretch to 30W, so the VT30 is an option.... I dont play majorly heavy stuff, but i might look into the Pavey, correct me if im wrong, but arent they more 'metal' than the others? sorry if im being obnoxious!

so roughly how much in round figures? and what do you mean by "majorly heavy stuff"? sorry to keep harping on at you, but if you don't give us concrete info, we can't help as well as we could.

if you can't stretch too much more than your original budget, the vox is probably worth a look, but if you're really mainly playing blues and classic rock, some tube amps might be within range.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 4, 2009,
Let's make this simpler, eh Dave?

Buget?
Willing to go used?
Styles of music you play?
Where do you live?
Gigging/jamming or just bedroom?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
to be fair, he does have a lot of that in his original post. But he said he could maybe up the budget slightly, so we'd need to know what he means by that, and also what the heaviest stuff he plays is, and how often he plays that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
to be fair, he does have a lot of that in his original post. But he said he could maybe up the budget slightly, so we'd need to know what he means by that, and also what the heaviest stuff he plays is, and how often he plays that.

Yea, but this way everything is all laid out and obvious
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
sure
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?