I am having no luck what so ever trying tp get a sound close to a Beatles bass sound.

-My Lows are up as high as they can go, and my highs are off.
-My highs are punchy and not rumbly.
-My neck pick-up is nearly touching the strings.
-The horn is off.
-Using Flatwound Strings.
-Big stubby Pick.
-Rouge Violin Bass (Solo Mode, Volume 1 up. Volume 2 off.)

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help?
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
Last edited by basser4ever123 at Nov 4, 2009,
Ok, number one, you can't get a sound that can be compared to The Beatles'. With that in mind I must say your cleverness with the title in relation to the subject made my day
hahaha...

BUT SERIOUSLY!

I need help!

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
Firstly there's no need to bump your thread after 10 minutes.

Secondly, which period sound are you looking for?
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
all of it.

If anything, the begining and the White Album

Put some foam under those strings at the bridge, Don't cut all the highs, you can leave a little for the slight muted bark that will come with the foam. I'm not saying that's how sir Paul went about getting that tone, I'm just saying it'll help you get closer to it fast.

Now get to the craft store and pick some foam up!
is there any other way?

How about amp settings?

And i don't need -

Boost lows and mids, take away highs

i really need help

don't bump your own thread after 2 and 1/2 hours . . .
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
*bump*

If you'd made the thread title a little more informative, you probably wouldn't need to keep bumping your thread. Just be patient - the bass forum isn't as fast as say, the EG forum.

stratkat
The way Paul usually got his tone is with DEAD-sounding strings and playing with a pick. Leave your amp set relatively flat, if anything with a slight cut to the mids and highs. Also, the foam under the bridge is a good idea. Do all of the above and let us know how it goes.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Sir Paul used his Rickenbacker almost exclusively by the time of the Sergeant Pepper album. Rotosound TruBass 88 black tape flatwounds would be appropriate. As for amplifiers, he used a specially made amplifier called a Coffin with 2x15 speakers and very rudimentary EQ. He also used Fender Bassman amplifiers. A fair amount of his sound was the result of post-production tweaking in the studio. The engineers frequently put his bass up front in the mix, which was very unusual back in those days. There are probably several websites that go into great detail about every piece of equipment that McCartney ever used during his time with The Beatles. Check them out.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Nov 5, 2009,
Dead strings, eh?

So I need to play the crap out of 'em?

Im sure your not going to want to go out and buy the complete rig Paul used, so the best advise I could give is to start your tone at the complete middle and slowly adjust your tone until you get as close as possible. Dont just turn up or down any knobs completely. Tone adjustments affect differently for diffferent amps. Having a volin bass is probably the most important aspect because that is the real character of his sound, so your most likely closer than you think. but as for matching tone may be definately harder. Factor in the recording, engineering of the recording mastering, not to even mention the source of where your listening to it, whether its your car or ipod, bass sounds much different from different places. Not to even mention the room your playing in!
Quote by basser4ever123
Dead strings, eh?

So I need to play the crap out of 'em?

buy the foam. it helped me a LOT!
(btw, this is hilarious)
East Lansing High School
Class of 2013

Loading Haters
████████████████]
99% Complete
I will try the foam eventually.

any other ideas?

Last edited by basser4ever123 at Nov 11, 2010,