Hey,

I have a noobish question for y'all. I notice when I play guitar, or hear other guitarists play, it's very common to hear some pick noise - especially when high gain is being used. I'm talking about that not completely unpleasant "tackity-tackity" sound when your playing some rapid triplets, for example.

I'm confused because I never seem to HEAR this sound on the radio. Johnny Famousguitarist never seems to let his pick noise creep into his album recordings/ broadcasted music.

My question is: am I just not listening hard enough and the pick noise *is* there, or do they know something about technique I don't know, or is it somehow taken care of in post production...or WHAT?

Thanks for the answers!
dont they record some of the guitar parts with the guitars plugged into computers, therefore you wouldnt hear the pick noise?
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by TomG10-7
dont they record some of the guitar parts with the guitars plugged into computers, therefore you wouldnt hear the pick noise?

Not all the time, but I'd assume you still here the pick noise. A lot of virtuosos have eliminated the pick noise while performing live. I suppose its about technique.
It's called a noise gate and it tends to remove things like that.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
don`t forget your pick(material and thickness) and the way you attack the string are part of your tone, recordings are greatly compressed and filtered so the pick noise is often hidden.

if your playing withe alot of stacatto(shortend notes) you`ll hear the pick noise come through more.

EDIT:- reading the thread title i thought you were hearing a radio station through your amp.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Nov 3, 2009,
Quote by axxchor
My question is: am I just not listening hard enough and the pick noise *is* there, or do they know something about technique I don't know, or is it somehow taken care of in post production?

All three, really. It's mostly technique, but some of it is either compressed or edited out, or covered up by the other parts so you can't hear it. I would also imagine that you usually play your guitar louder than your radio.
Thanks for the answers. My technique isn't bad and my pick noise is manageable -- but it's good to know that noise gates and compression affect things too.

Here is an (amusing!) vid of P. Gilbert doin' his thang. I can hear the pick noise in there...which I suppose also supports the idea that fancy electronics and recording equipment are a big factor in removing these noises from pro recordings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE
It's eliminated in most recordings by the likes of post production and noise reduction effects.

I've noticed the picking sound is VERY apparent on the more intricate guitar riffs on "The Blackening" by Machine Head. In a way I like it. Reminds me it was done by humans
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
well some guys use Legato... its when doing triplets or something like that and they only pick the first note and the rest are pull-offs or hammer-ons thus eliminating the pick from the equation for part of the lick... and tapping... but its a little more obvious if they are tapping...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Sometimes the edit the song and take it out.

If its recorded by computer you will still hear it because its from the pickups also.

It's the sound of the pick hitting the string. Ussaly only happens when you do string skipping, single notes, or anything of that kind.

It happens to me because I play cky songs and thats all they use is single notes not chords, and its fast.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Quote by CKYIbanezParker
Sometimes the edit the song and take it out.

If its recorded by computer you will still hear it because its from the pickups also.

It's the sound of the pick hitting the string. Ussaly only happens when you do string skipping, single notes, or anything of that kind.

It happens to me because I play cky songs and thats all they use is single notes not chords, and its fast.

It's still about technique. I honestly don't hear, if rarely, any pick noise from Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, or Eric Johnson. They play everything from fast runs, to single slow runs, to chords and power chords.