Hi,
i was wondering whether anyone knew whether a guitar valve stack e.g. Marshall, would be able to be heard over full mic'ed drumkit, mic'ed vocals and mic'ed bass amp. The hall is probably slightly larger than your average gymnasium hall, and it would be full of people, so would the audience be able to hear a un mic'ed valve guitar stack?
Thanks
If it's not loud enough just mike the amp too.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
How many watts is the amp.

I'm guessing 100?

Even if it was 50 you might not have too much of a problem but you would more than likely want to get you cab miced up too.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
The loudest I've ever had to turn my amp up at a gig is about 6 on the master and 5 on the channel volume. You really shouldn't need to go past 8 in any case. But, people may have a hard time hearing you on the other side of the stage from you.
I have a huge fear if rays.
well the reason i am asking this is because i am having a sort of argument with my friend, i think that a valve stack would have to be mic'ed however he thinks it would be loud enough, i just want to settle it and find out!
thanks for the reply though JesusCrisp
ok thanks, yeah its a 100watter, i just thought that if the guitarist wanted to be heard well like a lead guitarist then the stack would have to be mic'ed
You should be fine, in my opinion.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
It would need to be mic'ed regardless.

If it was not mic'ed it would be super loud near the front of the stage and not near as loud far away from it. The PA system doesn't necessarily make you amp louder, it simply distrubutes the sound through the hall so it doesn't need to be louder.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I'd mic it. Even if it gets through the mix, it'll sound very one dimensional compared to the stereo PA system.
EDIT:
Quote by Doodleface
It would need to be mic'ed regardless.

If it was not mic'ed it would be super loud near the front of the stage and not near as loud far away from it. The PA system doesn't necessarily make you amp louder, it simply distrubutes the sound through the hall so it doesn't need to be louder.

This guy puts it better than me .

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
If you have a 100 watt tube amp, you don't need to be mic'd to be heard. Sure it would be a bit better, but it's not completely necessary.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Haha. Depends how much they like your music. If you suck you'll have plenty of volume.
You would blow your band off stage. And kill anyone stood infront of the stage. I'm sure the singer would complain about the volume within 5 seconds.... I have a 15w tiny terror and I've never had it past 3/4 volume.
only a moron would opt for an unmic'd amp in a venue of any considerable size. i don't care how good your rig is, it'll sound like ass from 50 ft. across a large room at deafening volume if unabetted by PA.

and yeah, i've known / played with a few morons like that. Professional Beavises all...and none of whom went on to make any impact whatever in music, other than incurring the uniform hatred of bandmates, soundmen, and audiences.

i play either through a hiwatt DR103 or a carvin x100b into a 4x12 - can get bone-crushing volume out of both, but I never wind up turning the master up past 3 on either. I get it loud enough for good tone and good stage volume, then let the PA do its job and get the sound out to the crowd. my band sounds good, i sound good, and people generally have a pleasant experience without being subject to unnecessary volume-wankery.
---
Only assholes vote Republican.
---
1988 Gibson SG Deluxe
1975 Hiwatt DR103
Carvin X100B
Quote by th3yn3v3rsl33p
only a moron would opt for an unmic'd amp in a venue of any considerable size. i don't care how good your rig is, it'll sound like ass from 50 ft. across a large room at deafening volume if unabetted by PA.

I never wind up turning the master up past 3 on either. I get it loud enough for good tone and good stage volume, then let the PA do its job and get the sound out to the crowd. my band sounds good, i sound good, and people generally have a pleasant experience without being subject to unnecessary volume-wankery.

He's spot on. As soon as you have enough PA to start to mic up then you need to keep the stage level down. Everyone else will be playing at levels to just reach the front of the stage but will then be boosted from there by the PA. If by a miracle you are in balance at the desk then the people at the front (including the rest of the band) will not be able to hear anything else much and at the back of the room you won't be loud enough. The engineer won't be able to mix you and your sound is going to spill into every mic on the stage.

Have a read of the guide to PA in the columns.

Cheers