Hey everyone I have a question as to where to start I've got a squire and I'm playing on a vox 15w. I've been tryn to teach myself some chords and have been practicing switching chords. Should I take lessons or keep doing what I'm doing.
If you can afford lessons, take them, because a teacher can put you under right direction.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Well, lessons would be good but are definetly not necessary

I'd say stick to learning all your open chords ( C A G E D and their minor variations)

Then try learning the A Minor Pentatonic Scale (You'll find plenty of lessons in the web), while little by little work on getting some Barre Chords done, start with the fifth fret, then go descending until you can easily do a F Major Chord...Also keep an eye out for the fact that the shapes are movable (Mostly A, E, and sometimes D, but any open chord is movable )

Learn that every Fret means a semitone, and That there is no E# (in terms, for the classical musicians who would come on bashing me ) nor B#
Quote by Juninho2v
Learn that every Fret means a semitone, and That there is no E# (in terms, for the classical musicians who would come on bashing me ) nor B#
Although the point you are trying to make is correct, don't say there's no E#. It exists, it's just enharmonic to F. Same goes for B# with C.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Tomguardiola
Hey everyone I have a question as to where to start I've got a squire and I'm playing on a vox 15w. I've been tryn to teach myself some chords and have been practicing switching chords. Should I take lessons or keep doing what I'm doing.

these days you can teach yourself as much as a teacher could. there are tons of books and online lessons outhere. you just need the drive to improve yourself. i just started out with learning some songs from tab. just some riffs and stuff. then i got a chord book and learned all the basic chords and some barre chords. then i learned songs that used them. then i learned the pentatonic scale. from there i began to just play around with it over some songs. from there i learned the major and minor scale. i learned to play them in every key. i kept learning songs and kept improvising and got to where im at now.

imo, a good teacher is a good thing to have. but they can be hard to find. some people learn better on their own, like me, and some learn better with a teacher. a teacher no matter what will help point out playing flaws and bad habits. for me, i just watched the greats and watched myself and corrected my technique. not everyone is up for doing that though. BUT, not all teachers are created equal. ive seen very experienced players who have bad habits and techniques, and they teach people guitar.

i might have taken lessons when i started if it was an option. but it wasnt for me. lucky for me i had the drive to improve and i learn well on my own. look around for lessons though. but i encourage you to teach yourself too. dont just leave it all to the teacher. go on youtube, listen to CDs, whatever. i think thats something people tend to forget. they leave it for the teacher.