Poll: Do you want a version 5?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you want a version 5?
Yes. It will own
346 92%
Nah, version 4 is fine.
31 8%
Voters: 377.
Page 1 of 2
Logz
UGs UGing UGer
3,634 IQ
Hey guys, so its that time again where the beginners song program should be updated.

A couple reasons why:
1) The program is getting hard to maintain due to the amount of AJAX being used within it!
2) Theres quite a few bugs, and to be honest, it's probably better starting a new version of it!

Version 4!
The old thread covering version 4 can still be found by clicking this link!

Wishlist
Ok, so first i wanna see if this is something people actually want to keep using. If not, ill leave version 4 online, but not develop it further. However, if enough people want me to make it better, then ill go for it.

This thread is for you to vote on whether you want a new, better, more efficient version of the program, and if so, what you want on it.
after a while, ill take a look at the suggestions and see what I can do with them.

Things to think about:
  • Do you want AJAX to still be used on it? - AJAX stops the whole page reloading, and only refreshes certain bits of the page
  • How do you want it designed? What do you want on the homepage?
  • What information do you want with the songs?

Add anything you want in this thread.
General forum rules still apply, IE no flaming, no spam etc etc.
Been away, am back
xBrando
Uhh...idc.
429 IQ
Never actually tried the Beginner Program, but sounds interesting.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

~ Kurt Cobain ~
Rocketface2112
Face of rockery
502 IQ
i dont think the submit a song should be on the home page i got confused when i first when on lol. I'd like an upgrade, its a nice progam
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
revoh
Tone Deaf
402 IQ
Yah mate, version 4 helped me out alot when I began but it took alot of time to get used to the interface, vers 5 will won!
tandyman21
10 IQ
It would be nice if you could offer some sample programs for beginners that might not know a good progression of songs to learn.
prockress
10 IQ
Quote by tandyman21
It would be nice if you could offer some sample programs for beginners that might not know a good progression of songs to learn.

I agree!! this could be done if there was a way to sort song by difficulty.

I am actually in the process of compiling a list of the easiest songs to learn on guitar for my students. I only got 3 songs right now but i'm going to be doing a lot more tabbing. Eventually i'll make 3 catagories, easy med and hard. Please check out my website and let me know what y'all think... www.prockressacademy.com/tabs

I just found this program and i'm gonna start using it for myself and my students to see how i like it. There is my one suggestion for now... make a way to sort songs by difficulty.
radioluck
35 IQ
what is this 'beginners program'? I have no idea what it is for. oh, I signed up for it(total newbie on guitars)
Logz
UGs UGing UGer
3,634 IQ
Ok guys. Design wise, its complete. Just working on the programming side of it now. Should take a few days *hopefully*

Any more ideas of what you want etc?
Been away, am back
Dawnwalker
UG Addict
2,466 IQ
How ´bout including the songs key or something like that.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Yugguy
Rubber Chicken
137 IQ
Quote by Rocketface2112
i dont think the submit a song should be on the home page i got confused when i first when on lol. I'd like an upgrade, its a nice progam

Yeah, it's a cool program but not immediately obvious what it's actually for.
poomahloo
168 IQ
Noticed on v4 a lot of quite trickey songs were only rated as 1 or 2. Could v5 have some kind of ref, eg
Difficulty 1 time of your life
Dfficulty 2 teen spirit
Ect

And would it be possible to make it mobile friendly?

Anyway just an idea,
ariakerry
Banned
10 IQ
Hello everyone!
I'm using beginner version as well.
Please post some sample programs for beginners
Thanks
Waylander
Droog
283 IQ
Is there presently an option to differentiate between acoustic and electric? That would be nice if not already in place.
I've neveradvocated alcohol, drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Sicon
UG's Resident tatoo artis
1,179 IQ
version 4 really confused me......I think that deviding he songs on a easy/med/hard level system would really help
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Austin174
1,849 IQ
um maybe add a section on the people useing it can request songs they would like to learn an sorting songs by difficulty
adam.summers
Banned
20 IQ
Hi guys, for beginners, learning to play should just come first into the most basic, playing scales first, callouses, and strength and endurance.
stringmaniac26
10 IQ
ive never been heard of it before, if those will hepl me improve my skills why not try both
DeathByDestroyr
EDM
953 IQ
I think it is important for beginners to have as much fun as possible. Early on is hard, sucking sucks and its rare to hear any encouragement from anyone except yourself. Some of the more monotonous parts of playing guitar (scale grinding, chromatic exercises) might be a turnoff early on.

But it will make the transition from suck to rock faster!
'81 Ibanez DT400
'69 Bassman 50
Marshall 1960a
Austriaal_
Salad Dodger
43 IQ
I've been doing a lot of 'grinding' with scale exercises as I suck and need to suck less.

So is this program basically just a search engine for tabs and lessons on UG?
Genov1
142 IQ
As a beginner guitarist I would really like to see more under the lessons in version 5
MeadowHenry
Banned
10 IQ
I only got 3 songs right now but i'm going to be doing a lot more tabbing. Eventually i'll make 3 catagories, easy med and hard. Please check out my website and let me know what y'all think.
luis6268
Banned
10 IQ
I don't think the submit a song should be on the home page i got confused when i first when on lol. I'd like an upgrade, its a nice program.
Mmmm...donuts...
3,342 IQ
I've been here for over 2 years and I have no idea what this is.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z
Ibanez SRX430
Alesis Core 1
GR5/ReValver 4

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Ultraussie
I have a user title now!
1,834 IQ
What exactly is this?
Some kind of beginner song program?
MY browser couldnnt load it..
Its not an offical UG thing..
METAL!
chananl1
Banned
10 IQ
Thanks for the nice article. It is very useful.

2,295 IQ
I'd like to see this program... however the link seems broken.

I haven't played much and I think its time to dedicate some serious time to guitar and I have to really start with some beginner stuff that will hook me again. Trying to play Master of Puppets after not playing it for almost 10 years makes me feel stupid especially since I used to be able to play it without an issue.