I am beginning to build up a pedal board, but I am not sure what pedals to get.
I mostly use high gain tone. So obviously I want to get a distortion. But what about a compression pedal? I am not sure what it does, but I hear that it is helpful. As of now I sadly only have a Cry Baby Wah. It is great, but now that I have enough money I want to buy more. Any suggestions? I am beginning to write and I play a lot of metal (ex:Between the Buried and Me) and clean stuff (Red Hot Chili Peppers, and improv. etc.).

Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks.

-frusciante08
Compressions nice, but its more effective with cleans, and tbh if you're just building a pedalboard I'm sure you'd like to go for something more exciting. From your username and OP I'm guessing you like Froosh's tone, so you'll want a fuzz of some sort, a big muff should do the job, maybe get a DS-2 for his distortion, and then an OD of some kind if you need to push if further for metal.

There's plenty of other pedals you should have a look at; delay, chorus, phaser, flanger, etc, have a look at those, see what you like.

Also, what amp/guitar are you using? And what is your budget?
Last edited by greenwoodfan93 at Nov 3, 2009,
Don't forget a noise gate as you are into high-gain playing. It will kill the feedback.

Why so sad with only a Cry Baby wah? Hendrix used only an octavia, a fuzz face and a cry baby and look at what he accomplished. You are well on your way.
Quote by FatalGear41
Don't forget a noise gate as you are into high-gain playing. It will kill the feedback.

Why so sad with only a Cry Baby wah? Hendrix used only an octavia, a fuzz face and a cry baby and look at what he accomplished. You are well on your way.

Oh I Love the wah haha do not get me wrong!
After about 2 years I am looking for a little new, you know?
But yeah, thanks for the noise gate suggestion!
on a high gain tone with a good amp, you probably wont really need a compressor. most high gain tone will be naturally compressed, so unless you will be playing a lot more of the clean stuff, you can take that one off your short list. however, you probably do want to get an overdrive of some sort. a lot of people use a tubescreamer style overdrive to get a little extra tightness with a high gain sound. the mid-hump and some of the other characteristics of that style pedal help even things out a bit with those modern high gain sounds. bad monkey is a low cost alternative, BBE green screamer is another option, as well as the classic ibanez/maxon ts-9.

other than that, id say get one modulation pedal. always nice to have, so pick your favorite. a chorus is a nice first choice and works well on both gain and cleans. i prefer phasers myself, but most things like chorus, phaser or flanger can give you a bit of a thicker sound on some song segments if used subtly. or you can just go balls to the wall and make noise, which is fun too. recomendations would depend on budget and which kind you feel you would use/like.

then i would suggest a delay. overdrive and delay are my two main pedals these days, and delay is always nice on some leads. works well for just about any style of music, pick one up. lots of variations, so its hard to recomend something without know what you like and your budget.
I'm just going to hijack your thread if that's ok. It might be helpful anyway.
I have a crybaby and a little big muff and the crybaby just disappears before the muff in the chain. Does anyone else have this problem? And do you have any solutions/mods/replacements?

So frusciante08, I suggest u get a distortion, and I've heard that the bad monkey and even the Danelectro cool cat distortions sound good. I would also suggest some kind of delay, maybe a boss Digital Delay, or something more expensive with true bypass. If u want ultra-manipulation over the delay times, get digital. If you want a more organic (and to my ears better) tone, shell out a bit more to go analogue.

Hope this helped.
Quote by Tay-ron
go listen to the sound of grass growing. then play it.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||| My Music
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||