I have been getting like a sore pain in the thumb of my fretting hand and i have a feeling its from the position of my thumb. My thumb almost always wraps around the neck but when I do put it behind the neck, it looks almost like a hitchhikers thumb going perpindicular to the neck and probably under arond where my first finger is. I have a feeling that this is wrong but i dunno for sure.

Also, when I try to fret higher up with my thumb behind the neck it is very uncomfortable and sometimes not possible.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
the problem you experience as you move up the neck might not be from your thumb, but rather from the placement of your guitar. dont try to go crab-core on us. pull that guitar up a bit, son. no one's gonna laugh

much
Quote by JeanMi36
No you're doing it right! Want me to give you my balls so you can snort them?
My guitar is definately not too low. The middle of the back of the guitar is either at or above my belt.

Putting the thumb against the neck really doesn't solve my problem. At all.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
that is still kinda low. why don't you learn to play above the neck when you go higher? it's cool looking and more comfortable haha or when you go higher just don't use your thumb. let it hang to the side, and if you feel you need to, use the bottom of your palm on the back of the neck
What do you mean above the neck?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
to tenfold: Yes it look salmost esactly like that. It will go away by itself or do i have to do something different?

to eddievanzandt: i can't watch that video yet my computer is being dumb. please describe a little?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
I also learned to play like that - thumb propping the guitar up against my fingers. It feels weird to not use my thumb.
Guitar: '85 Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Edition
Amp: Line 6 Spider III 30
Pedal: Line 6 FBV Footswitch/Wah/Tuner

I love Jesus! Thank you Lord, for allowing me to play my instrument with the talents you have given me for You.
instead of using the face of your thumb, try using the side. meaning your thumb is facing toward the body of the guitar.

above the neck just means that instead of putting your hand below the neck and reaching up with your fingers, your hand is above the neck and you're reaching down with your fingers. It's good to learn this way of playing anyway because it gives you more proper technique and balance among your fingers.
Quote by Polystant
to tenfold: Yes it look salmost esactly like that. It will go away by itself or do i have to do something different?

It will go away a little, but you should change your position to get rid of it completely. Eventually the thumb will strengthen and be able to hold itself relatively straight. My thumb looks kinda like that, but straighter. I recommend trying the classical position (top-right-most) and keeping the wrist quite straight.