Hi,
Whenever i play in front of people (whether a gig or not) i always get nervous. And when i get nervous, my hands shake. Then, i mess up when i play guitar and look like a total d-bag. What can i do to prevent this?
Do more gigs. I'm not joking. The more you do it, the more you will get used to it. Also, practise more so you can play your songs blindfolded.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
Confidence....

Alcahol
Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Laney VC30
Boss DS-2
best thing is to just go out and play.. the more gigs you play the more confident you will get...less shakey hands... then all youll have to do is thank me for sharing great advise
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
But won't doing more gigs just continue my failure to keep calm?
Quote by 1120

no ... it will get you used to playing gigs... cockups are good too... youll cockup and people will be still be apauding ... no matter what... just get on stage and do what you have to do
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Play more gigs
play infront of people as often as possible
practice untill you can play the songs without looking at the fretboard
adopt yngwie malmsteen's additude. ie. I am zee vastest in zee vorld. Youll be kind of an asshole, but youll have confidence.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by richard_edwards
Do more gigs. I'm not joking. The more you do it, the more you will get used to it. Also, practise more so you can play your songs blindfolded.

i'd actually recommend playing blindfolded, since it's what you need to get better at. Or, if you don't want to be blindfolded, learn to do another thing at the same time as playing guitar.
In addition to playing without a blindfold, you can also try practicing infront of a mirror. Because guitarists love watching themselves play in the mirror, it gets them out of the habit of looking at their hand.

As others said, play more gigs and it becomes easier. The practice thing is really important, you should play the songs so much that they almost become "boring" because you've played them so many times. At that point you can relax and do whatever on stage without thinking about what you're playing.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by 1120
It could, if you remain focused on the negative.
Or if you continue to "practice your mistakes".

Stage fright can actually be your friend. The adrenaline rush gives you a ton of energy. This can come through in your performance and stage presence. Don't fight it. Learn to channel that energy and excitement.

Prepare yourself though rehearsal so you know the material cold. Then stop looking at it from a "fear" perspective and see the gig for what it is. Another opportunity to seize the day and lay down a performance that was better than your last. You get to go where others dream of. On stage, where the girls want to be with you and the guys wish they could be you. How cool is that?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I find that most stage fright comes from not practicing enough. You need to practice the songs ALOT! If you feel that you might screw up, the stage fright hits you right in the face and you´ll be too focused on playing wrong, that it actually happens. The songs should be nailed into your fingers when you´re on stage, that way it comes totally natural and you dont have to worry much about it.

Another tip is enjoy the gig! Gigs are supposed to be fun, so go nuts and have a great time.