I am thinking of going into a trade electrician/plumbing/joinery etc. Does anyone have a relative or a friend in a trade? Do you know if they like their job/or like the money in other words? Also does anyone know what course is required for basic plumbing?
My old man runs an electrical union and he hates it. He say's that it isn't worth it to practice a trade these days.
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram
You'll make most of your money off of coins you find while on the job. It's generally a good trade, but there could be problems related to reptiles and fungi if you end up in the wrong place, and you'll probably end up in the wrong house about 7 times before finding the right customer. If it's too much, just bring your brother along; he should generally be better at jumping and he gets none of the credit afterwards, so it's a win-win situation.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by Ndelle94
My old man runs an electrical union and he hates it. He say's that it isn't worth it to practice a trade these days.

what is that?

sorry i was referring to the UK. i know there was a lot of interest in trades in the last few years but i phoned 12 plumbers recently and not one of them turned up to do the work.
My dad was a coal miner.
The good times are killing me.

Quote by UG TinyChat
meelad: I know this guy "entity0009" and "mike50227"
meelad: They're the best people there

Above Divine
My Dad is a steel fabricating contractor. Tough shit, did 3months during the summer. i got €10 an hour, which was the lowest being offered.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

My dad works for a big company fitting the electrical thingies, and he is pretty much the head electrician and it pays pretty well. Hes been doing the same job for 20 years though, so it's not a quick promotion.
my dad's a joiner. he works for the local council. I don't actually talk to my parents about their money. It just seems a bit of a strange topic. He goes around the same buildings constantly doing similar jobs. It must get boring but they're not difficult and one advantage of going to the same places over and over are that you know they are relatively safe (asbestos free etc.).

He gets on with his colleagues (the jobs he does are usually 2 man jobs) and doesn't often come home in a mood, but I don't think he's content. He's does quite a few courses and he keeps looking for higher paid jobs, but we always get by. we've never (as far as I'm aware) struggled for money.

Private contractor's experiences will vary though. They'll usually be a smaller company and will have a less formal atmosphere.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Karvid
You'll make most of your money off of coins you find while on the job. It's generally a good trade, but there could be problems related to reptiles and fungi if you end up in the wrong place, and you'll probably end up in the wrong house about 7 times before finding the right customer. If it's too much, just bring your brother along; he should generally be better at jumping and he gets none of the credit afterwards, so it's a win-win situation.

Funnnnny man

My dad's an electrician. Doesn't seem to mind it, except for tendinitis.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
I worked as a electricians apprentice for a bit my first year of college, it was ok I guess, the good thing about jobs like that is that the jobs rarely dry up.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
of the ones listed, i would look into the electrician field. i have a friend doing it and he's making $23ish an hour just as an apprentice. after his 3 years of apprenticeship is up, he'll be making a lot more than that.

it wouldnt hurt to take some business courses at a community college/online if you can to eventually try to open your own business with whatever trade you go into.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
of the ones listed, i would look into the electrician field. i have a friend doing it and he's making $23ish an hour just as an apprentice. after his 3 years of apprenticeship is up, he'll be making a lot more than that.

it wouldnt hurt to take some business courses at a community college/online if you can to eventually try to open your own business with whatever trade you go into.

I have my own business at the moment. Unfortunately its in music tuition and performing and the credit crunch has made it difficult for me to get my 3 Carribean holidays a year
My Dad is an electrician and owns his own business. He likes his job. He has one employee and usually makes over $100,000 a year. That's in the U.S though. I didn't see what country you live in. Anyways, things have been pretty slow for the past year due to the economy, but are starting to pick up again now. One thing I have noticed is that there seems to be less and less of younger generations going into trade-jobs. My dad always talks about how there aren't really many new guys coming in to take the place of all the 40-50 year old plumbers, electricians, and carpenters that will soon be retiring. I don't know how it is where you live but this shortage of tradesmen could make you a rich man. I'm stupid for not apprenticing with my dad and going into that field. I just don't enjoy it and am not very good at it. I have more of an art-type brain.