When alternate picking, does the beat determine whether or not I use an up or downstroke, or should it always be up followed by down? i.e. is it downstroke on downbeat always, or just up down up down, etc.?
Surprised nobody has answered you already but the general stance on it is always alt pick. I didn't when I started learning and it has caused a few problems in places, took a few months to sort out the bad habit of down strumming every note.
On certain songs though, let's say Master Of Puppets for being incredibly generics sake (), I find down strumming the
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----2------3-----4------3------2-2-----2-----3-------5\4---5\4---5\4---------|
|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-0-3\2-0-3\2-0-3\2---|

section to not only be alot easier but also produces a more 'accurate' output. Of course, this is coming from someone who adapted the down-strum habit so others views may differ greatly.
Last edited by Nemm at Nov 3, 2009,
i think if you are good enough at downstroking to do the above riff accurately and make it sound good, then thats cool. i play the above riff and the verse to creeping death in a D-D-U-D-D-U type pattern and i can get it sounded pretty consistent like that.

legion, to answer your question as to whether you always downstroke on the downbeat, every so often, ill find a riff thats easier to play starting with an upstroke. again with the metallica, lets look at Through The Never

..............................x3
|-------4---------3----|------5
|-0-2----2-0-2----2-|0-2-3

when i hadnt been playing guitar for very long, i played this riff U-D-U-D-U-D-U-D. now its either D-D-U-D-D-D-U-D or all downs. if a riff is a whole lot easier to you starting with an upstroke, then do it that way until you're fast enough to do it all down. unless its a really fast riff which you have to alternate pick.

i dont know if there's really any rule to it. when i think of downstroke, i think of the downbeat. but if upstrokes remind you of the downbeat, then by all means, do that.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Nov 3, 2009,
Hopefully I am understanding your question correctly.
In Rock Discipline, John Petrucci says to practice everything starting with a down-stroke AND an up-stroke. That way you are able to play (whatever it is) no matter the situation. He was talking about strict alternate picking, though.
Whatever is easier, that's the way I put it. Or whatever sounds better to you.

For an example, there's this part in Rose of Sharyn by KSE where I just like to go D U D U D U D U

D|----------------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------|
F|----------------------------------------------------------------|
C|-------------------------------------------------------10----10-|
G|--5-7-8--5-7-8--5-7-8--5-7-8--5-7-8--5-7-8--5-7-8--7-8---7-8----|
C|-0-0-0--0-0-0--8-8-8--5-5-5--0-0-0--0-0-0--8-8-8----------------|

When its usually all down picked. I just find it easier, so I do it.

When it comes to MOP though, you HAVE to learn it all down picking. It's a tradition.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by ZeroCS
Whatever is easier, that's the way I put it. Or whatever sounds better to you.

For an example, there's this part in Rose of Sharyn by KSE where I just like to go D U D U D U D U

D|----------------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------|
F|----------------------------------------------------------------|
C|-------------------------------------------------------10----10-|
G|--5-7-8--5-7-8--5-7-8--5-7-8--5-7-8--5-7-8--5-7-8--7-8---7-8----|
C|-0-0-0--0-0-0--8-8-8--5-5-5--0-0-0--0-0-0--8-8-8----------------|

When its usually all down picked. I just find it easier, so I do it.

When it comes to MOP though, you HAVE to learn it all down picking. It's a tradition.

Same here with the Rose section but all down picked for me. One strange thing is, with that section or the MOP one, sometimes I find myself D/U picking it, not realising I was doing it before, stop for a second then am unable to do it again. Weird huh.