i had a mackie onyx satellite and the piece of crap die on me completely stopped working i troubleshooted it and also called technical support and they basically told me to pay for the repair when i almost never used it >_<. i also had trouble with the drivers that they released they took months before they could release a driver for vista and even when it was released it sucked.

so im in need of a new recording interface my budget is around 200$ i dont need anything too professional just to be able to record at home for my own enjoyment.
and that the interface has drivers for windows vista 64 bit.

also im thinking of getting a preamp engl e570 to be exact so do i need a special interface for the preamp?

any help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Do you need to use with Pro Tools? Important because if yes it changes the game completely, if not it'll be pretty simple.

Do you need mic preamps on it (to use microphones)?
How many tracks do you want to be able to record at the same time?

All pretension aside, I know my shit very well in this domain so feel free to ask.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Do you need to use with Pro Tools? Important because if yes it changes the game completely, if not it'll be pretty simple.

i dont really need to be use with pro tools i hear the hardware of pro tools only seems to work with the software of protools

Do you need mic preamps on it (to use microphones)?

i dunno what you mean by mic preamps but yes i need to use the microphone i have a SM58 shure

How many tracks do you want to be able to record at the same time?

since is going to be mostly for me to do experimenting and creating ideas and maybe a friend i guess 2 at the same time

if possible also that interface works with guitar rig 4 i used to use the mackie satelitte and use the effects on guitar rig

besides that i think that's pretty much it
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
i just bought guitar rig session and it came with an interface off craigslist for $100. also came with cubase le 4 . the interface aint nothing too fancy, just 2 input jacks, 2 outputs, and a mic input, but it does the job for me. plus it was hella cheap
I have a better idea that will get you great tone for about $3. Download Reaper, but a 1/8in to male to 1/4in female adapter, plug that into your computer, and us the send FX on your amp, which is basically a preamp anyway, download some impulses, and you have instant great tone for $3. This only works if you have an amp with a FX loop.
i still need a recording device because i have to hook the E570 ENGL preamp to it

but in meantime i will try this whenever i have chance to stop by radioshack and get connectors
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
have a better idea that will get you great tone for about $3. Download Reaper, but a 1/8in to male to 1/4in female adapter, plug that into your computer, and us the send FX on your amp, which is basically a preamp anyway, download some impulses, and you have instant great tone for $3. This only works if you have an amp with a FX loop.

i got the adapter and thing but i wasnt able to get it working like that >_<.

so right now im trying to test why it doesnt work. so i plugged my guitar
and this is connection

guitar>cable>adapter>computer microphone input

is not sending any signal but when i remove the plug from the audio on the back i heard the pop sound when removing the device.

how do you guys configure this in vista?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
the suggestion above didn't work well >_<

what is the difference between this one
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FireStudio-26x26-FireWire-Recording-System?sku=620681

and this one
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FIREBOX-24bit96kHz-FireWire-Recording-System?sku=184133

anybody have some experience with them or suggest other device?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Quote by stefan1988
i got the adapter and thing but i wasnt able to get it working like that >_<.

so right now im trying to test why it doesnt work. so i plugged my guitar
and this is connection

guitar>cable>adapter>computer microphone input

is not sending any signal but when i remove the plug from the audio on the back i heard the pop sound when removing the device.

how do you guys configure this in vista?

Trust me, it works, you have to have a recording program for it to work though, its not going to play it through your computer speakers, it just records the incoming signel. Download Reaper, install it, go to preferences, click recording devices, and tehn click on the mic imput option. And then it should work. You can do this with any other recording software, you just have to enable the mic imput option in your software so it will record.

All my recent recordings are done using this method, and there not half bad.

EDIT: better instructions on how to use this method in Reaper.
Go to Options
Go to Preferences
Go to Devices
Click the drop down arrow on Input Devices and choose microphone
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Nov 11, 2009,

Trust me, it works, you have to have a recording program for it to work though, its not going to play it through your computer speakers, it just records the incoming signel. Download Reaper, install it, go to preferences, click recording devices, and tehn click on the mic imput option. And then it should work. You can do this with any other recording software, you just have to enable the mic imput option in your software so it will record.

All my recent recordings are done using this method, and there not half bad.

EDIT: better instructions on how to use this method in Reaper.
Go to Options
Go to Preferences
Go to Devices
Click the drop down arrow on Input Devices and choose microphone

i know that it doesn't play through the speakers.
i got the software and chose the mic input i plugged in there and was checking the level through the volume control to see if a signal was being send and it just doesn't respond at all besides that i also tried other software to see if it was the software but not signal is being received or detected. for some reason there is no signal being sent to the computer and i also tried the line in on the sound card and it doesnt pickup any signal

let me explain what im doing maybe im doing something wrong or missed a step

i got cable that goes to the RETURN and then i plug converter and put it on the back of the computer on the mic plug. next i turn on amplifier make sure guitar is connected make sure volume and everything is there

i hear nothing when cable is plugged in to the return and i thought maybe signal was send to computer but i see nothing on the levels of the mic?

any other suggestion?

either
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Well, first, you should plug your cable into the send jack on your FX loop on your amp, then run that cable(which should be a 1/4in guitar instrument cable) to the adapter peice which is plugged into your MIC IN 1/8in input jack on your computer, and you should at least have something. It works for me very well. Let me give you the Exact steps I use.

Peavy Valveking 112 FX Send>Instrument Cable>1/4in female to 1/8in male adapter>MIC IN>Reaper v3.13

Thats how I have my set up. If you dont have any volume going on your amp then you wont have any signel. The more volume, the stronger the signel. Dont worry about it being too loud of a signel, your ears will bleed long before the singel strength is too much for you sound card.