Ok well, i'm a major stickler for my tone with a limited budget and i need suggestions.

right now my rig is as follows:

ESP Alexi 200 (getting it within the month)

1987 Epiphone Spotlight with stock Passive EMG's (Select)

Peavy Rage 15w amp (an amp as old as the guitar)

Boss ML-2 Metalcore pedal

Its pretty basic as you can see, i've been playing for about 3 years and it's getting to the point where i care really about the sound of my guitar and it frustrates me that i can't get the sound that i want. It's really a money issue, being kinda poor and all but i'm looking to get a stronger tone out of my set up. I play alot of metal, anything from Metallica to Iron Maiden to King Diamond, so my tone needs to have a strong lead to it but still have that nice mid ranges but well... i don't know it gets very sludgy almost and doesn't have that kick...

To make it simple... what should i invest in, New pick ups for the Spotlight, a whole new amp (suggestions?) Or maybe is the Metalcore too much for my set up? any tips help

(if anyone is wondering how i equalize from the amp to the pedal just ask)
i love my alexi-200. it's neck is accautly a little thinner than my 600, the 200 really plays nice, some poeple rag on it cause it doesn't have all these fancy features, but i like mine alot.

I agree a new amp is in order, the metalcore is very midrange based, i have a metal zone and here's the tone i can convince it and my crate to give me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDL_lLCsS18

But, as stated, a new amp is in order...

also an EQ pedal is nice, as you really can get some good tones, the kind you want....
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
New amp is in order, I have the Peavey Envoy 310 (the next step up from the Rage 158) and it was great back when I had no distortion at all, but now I've outgrown it. The bass is too loose and it can't go above about 5 without farting, so I'm getting a new one. What's your budget?
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
New amp is in order, I have the Peavey Envoy 310 (the next step up from the Rage 158) and it was great back when I had no distortion at all, but now I've outgrown it. The bass is too loose and it can't go above about 5 without farting, so I'm getting a new one. What's your budget?

The Envoy model is "110". I use to own one and I could crank that thing and never had any problems with the low end.

TS: The ML-2, like most of Boss' dirt pedals, is pretty "meh" stock. You could either get rid of it and add a little bit of cash to your budget or save it and send it to Keeley or Analog man to be modded in the future when you have the money.

You definitely need a new amp if you're unhappy with your tone. Like 311 said, the Rage is a nice practice amp (as is the entire Transtube series, imo) but it definitely sounds like you're ready for bigger and better things.

You may wish to hold off on the LTD and add the money you're gonna spend on it to your amp budget - those things are around $400, aren't they? That right there is enough to get you a nice amp if you buy used.

Right now, what's your total budget?
keeley does an ML-2 mod?

TS, you need a complete overhaul as far as amp/fx goes... best advice i can give is to start saving.
Quote by GrisKy
keeley does an ML-2 mod?

TS, you need a complete overhaul as far as amp/fx goes... best advice i can give is to start saving.

Haha you're right man. I was thinking of the MT-2, my mistake.
If you like the Epiphone...I'd consider holding off on the new guitar and buy a new amp first.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Haha you're right man. I was thinking of the MT-2, my mistake.

hell, you might be right... i'm sure you could send damn near anything to the guy and he'd figure out something to fix on it.
Yeah, new amp dude, but that pedal is fine as it is, it'll work great with a tube amp and a Tubescreamer as a boost. I actually perfer the ML-2 over my Ds-1, its more crunchy. I'm thinking about getting one here soon.

But for an amp for your application, I would look into the 6505 112 combo, whenever it decides to come out into market.

Tube Amp+Boss+TS9=Awesome