I was practicing my alternate picking the other day and I noticed that my pinky tends to move away from the neck far. My other fingers seem to move just fine when I alternate one string/note to the other.

Any suggestions on how to make my pinky closer to the neck from note to note would be greatly appreciated
Relax all of your muscles as much as possible, and keep all of your fingertips close to the strings as you play.
Quote by blue_strat
Relax all of your muscles as much as possible, and keep all of your fingertips close to the strings as you play.

Ha ha, I don't know about you, but keeping my fingers close to the fretboard and relaxing don't happen together.

It's more like the more I keep them close, the more it hurts my muscles and the more tense I need to be. But of course, this all comes to muscle memory and how our bodies work I guess.

Best idea, imo, would be to do hammer on and pull off excercizes that involve your pinky. This will train it to be ready to be close to the fretboard. Especially for POs I'd say from personal experience.
I agree, use your pinky more when doing exercises...scales....hammer-on's....pull-off's...etc. Even on arpeggio's.......your pinky is like the utility finger....
ok, cool I'll try all these suggestions and experiment.

Hopefullt I'll find a solution with these, Thanks guys.