i have a peavey classic 30.
i was playing go with the flow by queens of the stone age and when i listened to the recording, the lead parts sounded terrible.

they were way to thin and annoying. I was using a Hondo II strat copy on the bridge pickup.

obviously, i should use the neck pickup next time but should i get a new guitar to.
I am looking for a QOTSA type tone. not exactly, but comparable. A new amp is out of the question.

wat do i need to make my amp sound more like that.
right now it sounds terribly thin.
would a guitar with humbuckers fix that?
like an SG or something(i've been wanting one anyway)
Yeah, I'd say you'll need some humboogers to get QOTSA done decently.

But ... try using your other pickups and and messing with you're EQ (less treble?)
Last edited by Flann at Nov 3, 2009,
and + on mids, volume
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Feed it. The extra calories should beef it up a bit.
Quote by imgooley
Feed it. The extra calories should beef it up a bit.

high-protein diet. If it takes creatine, make sure you give it plenty of water.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
right now my EQ is Bass 6, Mids 10, and Treble 8.
i play with a drummer and a bass so idk if that means anything at all.

my other guitarist pointed out to me how thin it sounded...
any EQ suggestions?
Quote by The_Bosstone
Peavey Classics in general sound very thin and don't cut through.

surely there are some ppl that gig with this amp right?
there is nothing at all i can do to fix it?
What tubes do you have in it? What pickups/guitar are you using? What effects are you using, if any?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Peavey Classics sound thin because of the crappy speaker that's in them. Blue Marvel's are really trebly and lack bass.

Change it out.
Quote by mmolteratx
What tubes do you have in it? What pickups/guitar are you using? What effects are you using, if any?

I'm using a Hondo II strat copy. its cheap but i put it against a squier and it sounded way better.
the pickups are stock and probably crap.

I'm not using any effects at all. i plug straight in.

I have the high gain JJ tubes from eurotubes.

It also feeds back alot on high volumes with the pre gain on like 10 of 12.
Pickups? or am i standing to close to the amp.
I play at gigging volumes in my bedroom
play with a neck/middle combination and definitely +those mids.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Thats a good amp you've got there.
Try it through a different speaker/cab, this helps alot sometimes especially if you have a bright amp & have speakers that lack in low end.

Also, lower the treble from 8 to somewhere around 5 or less. Keep the mids at 6 or 7 & the bass at 8 or 9 and see if it changes a bit It may also be the pedal if you are using any with it, try fiddling with the EQs on them

EDIT: i missed a post above, oops, nevermind the pedal part above
Yes buckers would help........but a EHX LPB-1 would help fatten things up for not alot of $$
some reverd might help, dont know if you have though
i have my reverb on three.
wat would be a good speaker for my amp?
i know absolutely nothing about speakers or anything. I just know celestion and eminence seem to be big names....i'm clueless about everything else
This is the exact problem that I had with my Classic 50 before I traded it. I loved my tone, but it didn't cut through live and feedback was a major issue. It also has limited headroom...

I would suggest changing the speakers, although honestly I'm not sure how much it will help.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
First of all, a Strat bridge single coil pickup I find is often so bright, it's unusable, especially through a bright sounding amp - maybe try turning down your tone knob, definitely look into some humbuckers if you're looking for a thicker tone, or I know lots of people who just use the middle pickup of their strats instead of the bridge - also, for QOTSA type sounds, look into a fuzz pedal, like a Big Muff Pi - EQ'd right, it'll nail you a sweet stoner rock type sound.