toic, on the ibanez website, they just mention is an HLM pick up without naming it, does anyone know the pick up of the Egen 18?

from the way it looks, is like an Evo pick up. can someone verify this?

thanks in advance
It's a custom Dimarzio specifically for him and only for the EGEN18. It's probably similar to Evos since that's what he used before.
pretty much the entire guitar is to hermans specs, its a custom dimarzio coincidentally called the HLM. it prob wont go on sale cause they tweaked it specifically to work with his sig.
oh crap!!

i went to the local guitar store and jam with this guitar and i just fell in love with the pick up they have on it....my intention is to buy those pick up and installed on my S prestige and most probably on my j custom, i'll rather spend my money on the J custom rather than his sig guitars.

thanks!!
Quote by S4V10R_X
oh crap!!

i went to the local guitar store and jam with this guitar and i just fell in love with the pick up they have on it....my intention is to buy those pick up and installed on my S prestige and most probably on my j custom, i'll rather spend my money on the J custom rather than his sig guitars.

thanks!!

i gotta say id fall in love with the amp and wood type before the pickup unless it was something radically different from what i was already using or was familiar with the aforementioned contributors to the tone.

Edit: im pretty sure the HLM is based off of the evolution but tweaked a bit. plus it will sound different on the J custom due to the different wood type.
but j customs come with dimarzios stock anyway... nice ones.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Nov 3, 2009,
Quote by stephen_rettie
i gotta say id fall in love with the amp and wood type before the pickup unless it was something radically different from what i was already using or was familiar with the aforementioned contributors to the tone.

Edit: im pretty sure the HLM is based off of the evolution but tweaked a bit. plus it will sound different on the J custom due to the different wood type.
but j customs come with dimarzios stock anyway... nice ones.

hm....the amp that i use isn the store is the same amp that i have at home which is AC30 all tube head with marshall 120 watt cabinet and they use the same wood on the sig guitar and the S prestige right?
Quote by S4V10R_X
hm....the amp that i use isn the store is the same amp that i have at home which is AC30 all tube head with marshall 120 watt cabinet and they use the same wood on the sig guitar and the S prestige right?

ok cool, well id go with evolutions then, if you watch herman talking about the HLM he says he really corrected for the extra frets and loss of wood from a normal S. Evolutions for the S i mean your J custom should be fine with (i imagine) tone zone and paf pro
Quote by S4V10R_X

The EGEN18 is an S5470F with different inlays, scalloped 20-24 frets, and scalloped lower horn, HLM pickups, and an Edge Zero. Everything else is the same. I would call Dimarzio and ask which pickups are most similar.
Quote by stephen_rettie
ok cool, well id go with evolutions then, if you watch herman talking about the HLM he says he really corrected for the extra frets and loss of wood from a normal S. Evolutions for the S i mean your J custom should be fine with (i imagine) tone zone and paf pro

the new version of the S series comes with the 24th fret and i know the older model comes with 22. thinking about the J custom, i guess i'll leave it as it is as i'm worried that the guitar does not have any value once i modified it.
I believe I also remember reading/hearing that HLM's are just slightly tweaked Evolutions. You'll probably have to go for something other than the HLM's anyways as Dimarzio doesn't sell them retail. They're only available on the EGEN.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by JELIFISH19
The EGEN18 is an S5470F with different inlays, scalloped 20-24 frets, and scalloped lower horn, HLM pickups, and an Edge Zero. Everything else is the same. I would call Dimarzio and ask which pickups are most similar.

thanks for the explanation, i will call dimarzio to find out and my S series is the S5470F, i feel that his sig guitar is over priced!!!
Quote by ch0
I believe I also remember reading/hearing that HLM's are just slightly tweaked Evolutions. You'll probably have to go for something other than the HLM's anyways as Dimarzio doesn't sell them retail. They're only available on the EGEN.

that's what the general manager of that guitar store told me and when i play it, it sounds like evo but a lil different. either way, i was thinking of getting this pick up for my S series or seymor duncan black out. this is the only 2 p up i use as i hate EMG to the core!!

honestly why lots of people like EMG?

i guess is because of metallica.
Quote by S4V10R_X
that's what the general manager of that guitar store told me and when i play it, it sounds like evo but a lil different. either way, i was thinking of getting this pick up for my S series or seymor duncan black out. this is the only 2 p up i use as i hate EMG to the core!!

honestly why lots of people like EMG?

i guess is because of metallica.
I don't actually hate EMGs, that would be silly. I'll just never buy them or recommend them to anyone.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
I don't actually hate EMGs, that would be silly. I'll just never buy them or recommend them to anyone.

lol...i hate it to the core, my jackson japanese dinky comes with EMG and i switch it to seymor duncan pick up. seems u have the original Ibanez 550, u lucky bastard....how much did u buy it for?