Hey, my neck is pretty thick, and is just natural wood on the back, would it be safe to sand the thing down a bit?

Also, how would I go about doing it evenly, so it still plays nice.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

No, because there is a finish on the wood that keeps moisture and dirt out. If you sanded away a layer of it (even on the neck), you'd have to re finish it. ur welcome
I guarantee it's not raw wood. It's probably just a thin coat of clear.

Anyways, take some 80 grit sandpaper in your hand and sand down the neck lengthwise in long motions with your hand sort of cupped around the curvature of the neck so it's even. Leave on the strings and just go until it feels good.

I wouldn't go crazy and make it thinner than an Ibanez neck because you run the risk of hurting the structure of the neck (there needs to be 1/4 or 3/8 (can't remember) inches of wood under the truss rod).

After that it needs to be refinished because the wood will get damaged if left raw. Your options are clearcoat (some work), clearcoat with color underneath (lots of work), or oil (pretty easy and simple) which is what I recommend. Here's how to do a tung oil finish. Ignore the part about how I never check my inbox. I posted it in another thread.

Quote by end_citizen
What wood is it?

With maple, a finish isn't necessary. If it is something else, you can. You'll just need to refinish it.

Maple isn't protected by itself. It's not COMPLETELY necessary, but leaving it unfinished makes it more prone to warping and moisture damage, plus it gets filthy when hands are touching it all the time.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Last edited by salsawords at Nov 3, 2009,
You also need to take into account the truss rod and insure you know exactly how deep it is and then say leave 1/4" extra wood so it doesnt come through the back of the neck.

Quote by end_citizen
What wood is it?

With maple, a finish isn't necessary. If it is something else, you can. You'll just need to refinish it.
Maple needs a finish, especially on a neck, you need to stop moisture getting in and the wood moving because of that, also maple gets very dirty very easily, finishes keep it clean.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man