Just felt like sharing this. I've been experimenting for months for a good sound to play Santana songs. Now, there's no way to get that sweet vintage tone he used to play but there is a way to get a Strat to sound close to his current tone.

Settings on Strat:
- Pickup switch on position 2 and position 4 for some parts depending on song.
Both tone knobs all the way on 0. Play with volume halfway and use it as a boost for main licks or choruses and for single notes like when he does extra long single note feedbacks.

Settings on Amp:
- Turn gain up almost full, leave bass and treble at about halfway and crank the mids all the way up. Add a little bit of reverb and there you go!

If you want to hear his current tone, it sounds like this:

Samba Pa Ti
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzSayxVM_E0

Europa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frcA6Hk7Mfo
Last edited by ramodkk at Nov 3, 2009,
thanks, ill give it a try!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
^No prob, hope it works for you, too!

Quote by stephen_rettie
the ultimate settings thread would be riveted by this information

Well, my settings are a bit different and are more so concentrated on what to do with the guitar.
Well, every amp has a different EQ on it so your point is fairly moot.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall

ive always wanted to say this in the UST, unless 2 people own the same amp and guitar your settings arent gonna be the same.
^You're right, you seriously can't. The purpose of this thread though is to get as close as you can, well as I can. If someone has a better sounding setting, awesome!

Quote by Sid McCall

Yeah, and it's very true. But it still helps to know for example if you should put a lot of mids or not, or maybe lots of highs or not. I guess you can't really put it in numbers (I agree with you guys on this, putting the actual numbers is kinda pointless) is not going to make everyone's setup sound the same but it will give a rough estimate. If you know what I mean.

In other words, it still helps to know how you can put the EQ to sound close to it. Meh..