My band is playing at a battle of the bands on the 22nd and one of the songs we're planning on playing is a little on the long side (8 minutes, but we shortened it to 6 for this) and I was wondering if that would be a faux pas at a show like this. It's one of our favorite originals and our friends say that they really like it too, it'snot a boring or repetitive song at all, it's in three parts, the middle being an instrumental. I think that it would be good for us because one of the things we're being judged on is 'songwriting'.
But anyways, would it be a bad decision on our part to play a long song?
well if the audience doesnt like it, it could be because they have to sit through a longer than average song that their not interested in, which could be bad when it comes to deciding the winner, however if its something they really like it could go the opposite way.

its a gamble but if your confident enough i say go for it
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
If its like any other battle of the bands I'd be worrying about how many tickets you sell because thats all it all come down to.
Thanks, that's kinda how I was feeling about it too. I was a little shakey and felt like I needed someone to agree with me :P
And yeah, we know how these work, but we're really just doing this for some experience.
I've heard bands play Free Bird and Stairway to Heaven in shows like that and they both went over really well. Then again, it was my school BotB and they expectations are pretty low.
Quote by thecrowing33
i would say it wouldnt be a bad decision because most bands get complimented for being able to play an original for that long.

No. Most of the audience leaves if a new band plays an original song for that long.

In a Battle of the Bands you have a limited amount of time to make as much impact as possible. I would place more emphasis on short punchy songs with hooks to keep the audience engaged rather than showing them the first half of your opus.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
No. Most of the audience leaves if a new band plays an original song for that long.

In a Battle of the Bands you have a limited amount of time to make as much impact as possible. I would place more emphasis on short punchy songs with hooks to keep the audience engaged rather than showing them the first half of your opus.

Well, keep in mind that the song's only about 6 minutes long. Most of our songs are 4-5 minutes.
Well I guess maybe you shouldn't start out with it so you can develop some kind of feel for the crowd and get them interested in you before you play something longer than "normal". If the crowd likes you there's no problem. If they don't like you they aren't going to like anything you play and you have little to no chance of winning the competition at that point... so who cares? Seems like a win-win-neutral situation.
Quote by editthesadparts
Well, keep in mind that the song's only about 6 minutes long. Most of our songs are 4-5 minutes.

If you have a standard BOTB set, it's 25 mins long including set-up. If you have 20 mins to play, would you want 1/3 of it taken up by one song? It would slow down the momentum of the set.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud