I recently bought a Vox 50vt about a month and a half ago, and about a week ago the amp starting to make static, cutting out sort of noises. After a day or two it got even worse and now the only time the amp will make sound is when I put pressure on the patchcord down into the input jack.
When I push a little bit it starts to make noises but constantly cutting out, but when I push it even harder the noises stop and it sounds normal.

The strange part is if I plug my amp into my computer with a line in cable, the sound always comes out normally from the computer speakers but as soon as I unplug the line cable from the amp the sounds stop until I push in the patch cord.

So does anyone know whether this problem is occurring because of a faulty input jack?
and if not what else could it be?
The fact that its fine when pushing on the cable indicates its probably the input jack. Its odd that it works fine through the line-out, so it could possibly be something else, but the input jack is the first place I would look.
Is there anyway other way I could check if the input jack is broken before I try to replace it?
I opened it up and fiddled around with it some more, and it seems like the sound isn't clicking in when the input jack is pushed in, but rather when the whole left side of the top part with the knobs and buttons is pushed in...

So when the whole left side where the input jack is is pushed in. When I opened it up if I held the panel with the buttons and just pushed in on the input jack nothing happened, but when I just pressed in the whole left side, regardless of whether I was touching the input jack the sound would return to normal. I also tried fiddling with the metal part that grips the patch cord but it doesn't return the sound.

I'm really confused here
Does anyone have any clue what the problem could be?
I'll take it to the guitar store eventually if I can't find a solution but I don't have much money to spend right now.

p.s. I also tried moving the wires inside the amp around a bit to see if they could have a break in them but it didn't seem like it because the sound would never come on when I moved them.
Last edited by Avs at Nov 4, 2009,
Sounds like a bad solder joint or connector. Unless you are handy with a soldering iron and poking around circuit boards, it's probably best to take it to a shop. Sometimes you have to get a magnifying glass and really study every solder point up close. It could even be a cracked circuit board trace that makes/breaks a connection with flexing of the circuit board.
Quote by fly135
Sounds like a bad solder joint or connector. Unless you are handy with a soldering iron and poking around circuit boards, it's probably best to take it to a shop. Sometimes you have to get a magnifying glass and really study every solder point up close. It could even be a cracked circuit board trace that makes/breaks a connection with flexing of the circuit board.

+1