I'm wondering what the Edge has above the ZR system. So far what I've heard is that the ZR system has a better resistance against losing tuning when bending strings, the fine tuners have a larger range, and that it has the zero point thing going for it. The Prestige models and I think any other Ibanez at that range all use the ZR system, but the really high models like the Jem or the JS models all use the Edge. What's it got?
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
reported no vs threads

JK

The ZR is more reliable because it has no knife edges, and therefore isn't nearly as prone to wearing out as the EDGE III. I think they are made of the same alloy though, contrary to popular belief.

ZRs are used on all S guitars. Edge III on all non prestige RGs. Edge on most Prestige models, and the Edge Zero on some newer higher end Ibanez, not sure if they are Prestige or not.

There are a few other Ibanez Trems but are mostly model exclusive, like the SAT or the hollowbody Trems, and the bigsby trems. And also the one on the SV prestige.
It stays in tune better. The only reason the ZR is in the cheaper guitars is because it can be made with cheap materials but still hold tune well, unlike with a traditional floyd rose design. The edge bridges are made with top quality materials and craftsmanship which makes them a step above the ZR. And by the way, only the S series use the ZR trem, the other prestiges that don't use the edge pro use the edge zero, which is like a ZR trem but with the knife edges of an edge pro.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
First of all, it's the Edge ZR. It's an Edge trem. The trems that Ibanez currently use are the Edge 3, Edge ZR, Edge Pro, SynchroniZR, Edge ZR2, and Edge Zero. The last 4 are exclusive to Prestiges. The Edge ZRs' range isn't as great as the Edge Pro and Edge Zero. The Edge Zero is like an Edge Pro mixed with an Edge ZR2.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Nov 3, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
First of all, it's the Edge ZR. It's an Edge trem. The trems that Ibanez currently use are the Edge 3, Edge ZR, Edge Pro, SynchroniZR, Edge ZR2, and Edge Zero.

since when?
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
So which Edge models are used in high end Ibanezes? (Say $1300 and up).

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
So far what I've heard is that the ZR system has a better resistance against losing tuning when bending strings
Only with the Zero Point System in place. Take it out, and it'll flat out on bends like any other floating bridge. ZPS in itself might be a boon or a bane depending on what you want to do with your trem.

Quote by JELIFISH19
First of all, it's the Edge ZR.
Why would it be an "Edge" ZR if it has none of them edges?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I have the Edge ZR2 bridge on my S prestige and to be honest with u, i've been abusing that guitar with dive bomb and so on for an average of 2 hours everyday, it's been 3 months now and I never even tune that guitar from the first day i bought it while i agree that the the Edge pro does not stay in tune as long as Edge ZR.
Quote by Metlhead443
since when?

Wow, I never noticed that. They're often called the Edge ZR, guess I have to stop trusting people.

Quote by Guitar2theface
So which Edge models are used in high end Ibanezes? (Say $1300 and up).

It depends on the guitar. Ss use the ZR2, RGs use Edge Pros and Edge Zeros. Sigs use whichever they like. That's why JEMs, and JSs come with Edge Pros and the EGEN has an Edge Zero. None of those are really better than the other, they're just different.
So what about the Edge Pro model makes it good compared to the ZR models?

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
It has flutter and it feels like a traditional trem. The thing about trems are that the limitations are seen as positives for a lot of people. Ibanez took all the negatives associated with trems out with the ZRs and Edge Zero. But a lot of purists hate them. When you remove the ZPS, it still doesn't feel like a regular trem due to the design. A lot of people buy RGs for radical whammy antics, but the Edge Zero isn't as good as the Edge Pro for it. The Edge Pro isn't good for double stops though. They're both great trems that have different strengths and weaknesses.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Nov 3, 2009,
So can a ZR not flutter whatsoever, or is it just more difficult to?

Could I put in an Edge Pro into a cavity made for a ZR if I ever wanted to switch them out?

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
So can a ZR not flutter whatsoever, or is it just more difficult to?

Could I put in an Edge Pro into a cavity made for a ZR if I ever wanted to switch them out?

It can when you take out the ZPS, but then it probably won't stay in tune as well, the bridge will move with bends, and it will be more susceptible to worble. You can't put an Edge Pro into an Edge ZR routing. You can put one in an Edge 3 route though. But honestly, if you're planning on doing that, get an RG1550M or RG1570 or used MIJ.
Well I"ll try both and see which I prefer. Thanks.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I just tested out my RG2550Z without the ZPS and I never noticed this before, but there's a huge difference tonally. Without the ZPS, the tone is a lot warmer and fatter. With it in, it's much brighter and has a snappier attack similar to Paul Gilbert's fixed bridge PGMs. That was something that always bothered me since it's not what I thought an RG should sound like but I learned to love it since it gave me almost perfect PG tones. I was blaming it on the pickups but it's the ZPS. The sustain is a lot longer with the ZPS though. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just very different. I don't know how it affects Ss, but the ZPS really affects the tone on RGs, so that's some other useful info. I'm actually getting an RG1550M as my next guitar with the Edge Pro for flutter and more traditional whammy abuse.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I just tested out my RG2550Z without the ZPS and I never noticed this before, but there's a huge difference tonally. Without the ZPS, the tone is a lot warmer and fatter. With it in, it's much brighter and has a snappier attack similar to Paul Gilbert's fixed bridge PGMs. That was something that always bothered me since it's not what I thought an RG should sound like but I learned to love it since it gave me almost perfect PG tones. I was blaming it on the pickups but it's the ZPS. The sustain is a lot longer with the ZPS though. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just very different. I don't know how it affects Ss, but the ZPS really affects the tone on RGs, so that's some other useful info. I'm actually getting an RG1550M as my next guitar with the Edge Pro for flutter and more traditional whammy abuse.

ergo...i prefer the ZPS on my guitar because of the sustain and the brighter sound the ZPS provide. jelifish, you should try the ZPS with scalloped frets on any guitar and it will blow your mind away just like me trying the herman li sig guitar.
WIthout the ZPS system, is the performance comparable to an Edge?

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
with the ZR your not getting alot of physical information from the trem as the ball bearing eliminate some of the positive feeling imo, sig models don`t have original edge they have the edge pro except on anniversary models and the artists actual guitars.

the edge, edge 2 and edge 3, very much like a OFR
lo pro and edge pro, similar design to the above trems but far better imo with the edge pro being the best system on the market for my needs
edge zero iot`s in a league of it`s own it `s a hybrid of the edge series and the ZR series and it shares the top spot with the pro.

never used the TRS series so won`t comment.
But if you take out the ZPS system, is the performance similar to an Edge's?

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Bump =/

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I rather have a floyd rose lisc. IMHO.
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
The main reason the ZR1/2 and Edge Zero lose sustain without the ZPS is because to fit the ZPS in there they had to remove nearly half of the sustain block.
IMO the Original Edge and Lo-Pro are best, followed by the EP, EZ and then ZR's.
The ideas behind the Edge Zero and ZR are good, but they still need to be refined. Plus, in 20 years, when my Original Edge is still kicking, lets see how good the bearings in the ZR's are doing
Quote by Guitar2theface
But if you take out the ZPS system, is the performance similar to an Edge's?

Not really, it's similar but not as good. But it's designed to be used with it. I wouldn't get an Edge Zero if I was planning on removing the ZPS. The EGEN18 comes with an Edge Zero without it but I'm pretty sure a lot of it has to do with the size of it. But if you're talking about the ZR, then you have no choice of trems. If you like the S, you're stuck with it. I wouldn't get an RG over an S or any other guitar just because of the trem. The ZRs without the ZPS definitely won't feel like an Edge Pro because of the mechanism. They're all good the way they are.
Ok. With the fine tuners on an Edge/EP, could you go from standard to drop D like on a ZR?
And I really want an RG model, but I can't find a Prestige that doesn't have the ZR.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
You wont be able to go to drop D on any floating trem, it will make the trem fall into the recess, and all the other strings will go out of tune.
The only way to do that would be to block the trem and tune manually, or get a D-Tuna, but they wont work with any Ibanez trems.
Quote by Guitar2theface
Ok. With the fine tuners on an Edge/EP, could you go from standard to drop D like on a ZR?
And I really want an RG model, but I can't find a Prestige that doesn't have the ZR.

The RG doesn't come with the ZR, only the S.
The RG1550M and RG1570 come with the Edge Pro. The RG3550Z and RG3570Z come with the Edge Zero. You can probably (not sure if the fine tuners have that much range) go from standard to Drop D with the Edge Zero with ZPS, but not without out or on an Edge Pro since the change in tension will affect all strings. You also can't do that with the ZRs unless it has th ZPS installed.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Nov 4, 2009,
Oh. I heard somewhere that the ZR had finetuners that were wide enough that it could go from standard to drop D.

Well now I pretty much want an Edge/Edge Pro but the Ibanez RG Prestige only comes with a ZR. =\

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Are the 1550M/1570 models comparable to the 3550Z and the 3570Z models? They're $500 cheaper, and the Z models are prestiges, (which, if I'm right, are better than standard models).

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
Are the 1550M/1570 models comparable to the 3550Z and the 3570Z models? They're $500 cheaper, and the Z models are prestiges, (which, if I'm right, are better than standard models).

RG1550M and RG1570 are both Prestiges. They're the same quality as the RG3550Z and RG3570Z. The difference is that you get real Dimarzios, better finishes but not higher quality, better inlays, the Edge Zero, and the Super Wizard neck.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG3550MZ-Prestige-Electric-Guitar-582718-i1463470.gc

Wait what, there's a difference between the ZR and the Edge Zero? God DAMN IT!
Whats the difference between those?

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Edge Zero is a traditional knife-edged trem and the ZR uses ball bearings. The Edge Zero has a greater range. Both use the ZPS.
So the Edge Zero has the same flaws that the ZR system has (different feel, stiffer arm, lack of flutter)? I'm assuming its higher quality though.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
So the Edge Zero has the same flaws that the ZR system has (different feel, stiffer arm, lack of flutter)? I'm assuming its higher quality though.

Those aren't really flaws. Those are flaws of other trems and Ibanez sought to fix them and it did. People just got used to those flaws over the last 30 years.
Alright. Finally, are there any differences between like the RG3550Z and the 1550M besides the bridges? Is the Z model higher quality?

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
How'd I miss that? What's the "Super Wizard" neck? Thinner? Better quality?

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
It's a millimeter thinner, that's all. Still Prestige quality. The difference wasn't noticeable for me.
So for $500 less, I get lower quality pickups, a different bridge, and some pretty ugly looking inlays?
Tempting... Ok thanks for your help.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt