Hey, I'm relatively new at bass, and I'm trying to get down Run To The Hills by Iron Maiden to play with a drummer friend. How can I get fast with using just 2 fingers?
Practice triplets at the fastest speed you can, then back the speed down and spend time working up to the speed of the song. It will take patience though, especially if you're just starting out.

Also, it will be much easier/efficient for you if you pick like I-M-I, M-I-M, etc.
Last edited by edgeyyz at Nov 3, 2009,
i started playing that song galloping with three fingers and after a while i was fast enough to play with two fingers. dont know if that helps but it worked for me
There's nothing wrong with doing it with three, especially if it works better for you.
use a metronome
start slow (80ish). play that for 30 seconds, then move it up to 90. play that for 30 seconds, then move up to 100 bpm for 30 seconds. repeat until you have your desired results.
East Lansing High School
Class of 2013

Loading Haters
████████████████]
99% Complete
Quote by Swannie
yeah I can gallop with three fingers, I just need to get it down to two

do you plan on losing your third finger anytime soon or why cant you just stick to gallopping using all three? :p
yeah, just do it with 3 fingers, and on the plus side you won't get tired as easily than playing it with 2 fingers
Quote by aaron_masta
use a metronome
start slow (80ish). play that for 30 seconds, then move it up to 90. play that for 30 seconds, then move up to 100 bpm for 30 seconds. repeat until you have your desired results.

this, but before you move higher, play at 80 again.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
A lesson I wrote has something that would probably be good for you.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/bass_lessons/conveying_rhythms_with_right_hand.html

TL;DR flick your index finger back up across the string after playing two notes with the index and middle. It's quite easy to do as it's basically using the space between playing a note and then moving back to the point from which you would first play a note.
just something i do to help with my speed, or it's become a habit lol, when im not near an instrument, or just sitting somewhere, i practice by tapping on a desk or something near me with my 2 fingers in whatever rhythm i want to get better in. And then i apply on an instrument.