Hey guys.

Ordered my Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, now I'm looking for an amp to match. Sadly, I spent more than I wanted on the Hellraiser, so my budget is down to about $600 to match this guitar.

As you can see from the title, I'm kinda into Progressive metal. The biggest two being Between The Buried and Me and Dream theater, with another being Protest The Hero. But, I'm also into metalcore/post hardcore kinds of stuff like Every Time I Die, Bring Me The Horizon, Escape The Fate, A Day to Remember, and Inhale Exhale.

Anyways, I just listed those so you can see what I'd like to play, but the main one currently is Between The Buried and Me. Because of the varying types of music that there are in their songs, I need something that's high gain, but still clear, jazzy cleans.

Also, I just saw this on my craigslist. Tell me if it's a great deal like I think it is:
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/1443441278.html

I don't believe I need a cabinet, but with a deal like this I may buy it anyways. I'm not really sure what exactly I need, but I'm currently at the stage where it's for practice with band/gigging in the future. I don't neccesarily need size I guess is what I'm trying to say. I'd like to go with tubes also.

TL;DR

• Amp appropriate for Between The Buried and Me sound
  • Not sure if I need a combo or Head/cabinet
  • Tubes preferred
  • $600 budget
Well a tube for $600...What I can think of is buy a Peavey Valveking 112 for around $450 and spend $150 on an awesome speaker and tubes for it. Apparently that can give it an awesome metal tone. You MUST swap out the speaker though, the stock one is bull crap.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
check my thread
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by SkyValley
Well a tube for $600...What I can think of is buy a Peavey Valveking 112 for around $450 and spend $150 on an awesome speaker and tubes for it. Apparently that can give it an awesome metal tone. You MUST swap out the speaker though, the stock one is bull crap.

The fact that you said that makes me think that you've only heard this. I'll consider it, but I'm not entirely convinced that it will make it that much better by changing those.

Thanks. Keep them coming.

Oh, and I've checked out your thread. I've looked through a lot of the options, There are just so many that I wanted to make a thread with my specifications.
hmmm

Sounds like you need a 6505+ for all the metalcore I see there.

If you insist on a DT tone... you're gonna need a Mark IV... which I'm afraid... is not gonna happen (even considering Used).
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Well...BTBAM used 6505s on the last album and now use Mesas. Two alternative amps at a good budget with nice cleans would be the Carvin v3 which is very mesa (with 6l6s) like and extremely versatile and can be purchased used cheaply, and the Bugera 6262 which has very nice cleans, but you take a risk buying it due to its versitility. Alternatively the new 6505+ combo (but this may have similar issues to the Bugera). If you are using a shred guitar you're never going to get amazing cleans. Get a cheap G&L tele lol.
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Nov 3, 2009,
Quote by Kryaxysa
The fact that you said that makes me think that you've only heard this. I'll consider it, but I'm not entirely convinced that it will make it that much better by changing those.

Thanks. Keep them coming.

Oh, and I've checked out your thread. I've looked through a lot of the options, There are just so many that I wanted to make a thread with my specifications.

I have the Valveking, just not modded yet. I've heard from tons of people on here that it's a killer amp with a new speaker, but I have not had the time or motivation to do it yet (I play almost exclusively classical guitar nowadays). I just joined a band though and I'm considering a mod, I'll let you know when I get that done.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by ragingkitty
hmmm

Sounds like you need a 6505+ for all the metalcore I see there.

If you insist on a DT tone... you're gonna need a Mark IV... which I'm afraid... is not gonna happen (even considering Used).

Thanks. But is the 6505+ really in my budget? I for some reason thought it was a lot more than that.
Quote by Kryaxysa
Thanks. But is the 6505+ really in my budget? I for some reason thought it was a lot more than that.

The new combo is retailing at $599.99...

That's before shipping though.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-Plus-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=582106
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Thanks, I did see that after i did a search a few minutes after posting that. But have many people heard that yet since it just came out? Will it be about equal to the head in terms of tone?

Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Well...BTBAM used 6505s on the last album and now use Mesas. Two alternative amps at a good budget with nice cleans would be the Carvin v3 which is very mesa (with 6l6s) like and extremely versatile and can be purchased used cheaply, and the Bugera 6262 which has very nice cleans, but you take a risk buying it due to its versitility. Alternatively the new 6505+ combo (but this may have similar issues to the Bugera). If you are using a shred guitar you're never going to get amazing cleans. Get a cheap G&L tele lol.

This is basically what I'm looking for! I guess if they use 6505s, then I'll be able to get a pretty similar sound. And I don't really think of the hellraiser as a "shred" guitar, I think i'll be able to get a fine clean sound out of it with the correct amp.
Last edited by Kryaxysa at Nov 3, 2009,
Quote by Kryaxysa
Thanks, I did see that after i did a search a few minutes after posting that. But have many people heard that yet since it just came out? Will it be about equal to the head in terms of tone?

Can't comment on it as I'm not interested in the amp.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 3, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
No comment as I'm not interested in the amp.

Fair enough, I'd prefer you tell me you're not sure or not comment if you don't really know.
Quote by Kryaxysa

This is basically what I'm looking for! I guess if they use 6505s, then I'll be able to get a pretty similar sound. And I don't really think of the hellraiser as a "shred" guitar, I think i'll be able to get a fine clean sound out of it with the correct amp.

It's not gonna sound like the head since you won't have a seperate cab and it's only 60 watts but it comes close enough. It still needs a speaker swap IMO. And if that's the one with EMGs, you won't be getting a decent clean out of the 6505. With low output pickups the cleans are barely acceptable.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
It's not gonna sound like the head since you won't have a seperate cab and it's only 60 watts but it comes close enough. It still needs a speaker swap IMO. And if that's the one with EMGs, you won't be getting a decent clean out of the 6505. With low output pickups the cleans are barely acceptable.

While this may be true, our ideas of acceptable cleans may be different. And what if the EMGs are coil tapped? Will that create a slightly better clean? My current amp does clean sooo well, it's just a lot smaller. But, it lacks in the distortion and has no effects.
Quote by Kryaxysa
While this may be true, our ideas of acceptable cleans may be different. And what if the EMGs are coil tapped? Will that create a slightly better clean? My current amp does clean sooo well, it's just a lot smaller. But, it lacks in the distortion and has no effects.

It'll be slightly better but the cleans are still going to be crap IMO. I'm the pristine type though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
It'll be slightly better but the cleans are still going to be crap IMO. I'm the pristine type though.

Okay, well I understand where you're coming from. The cleans aren't what I'm necessarily worried about so that's fine. Thanks though.
be mindful that the guitar you will be using and the voicing of the amp are important. for example a black hellraiser with mahogany and ebony with a 6505 sounds way too dark (for my tastes). If you have a maple cap it wont be so bad.
All I can say is-
1. 6505+ is not what youre looking for. Cleans are not good.
2. About $150 put into a Valveking makes it amazing. I did a side by side test with my friends modded one and a stock one. The difference is really noticable.
3. In general Peavey cabs are badly constructed and have bad speakers. I wouldn't consider the one in the link you posted unless the speakers have been swapped out for better ones.

As for a good amp, I suggest that you continually look on the used market to see what pops up.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by Kryaxysa

Anyways, I just listed those so you can see what I'd like to play, but the main one currently is Between The Buried and Me. Because of the varying types of music that there are in their songs, I need something that's high gain, but still clear, jazzy cleans.

Mother****in Triple XXX. I tested out the 3120 (same amp) today, and I nearly jizzed over the tone. The cleans were jazzy and sweet, the rhythm channel was tight and bright, and the lead channel... well I admit it could use some boost, but then again, I was playing it turned up all the way to 1, so...

You can buy the 212 combo all day on Ebay for 600 bucks. If you look hard, you can get one for 450 or so. I am buying that amp and I suggest you do too. I tried it right next to the 6505 and I just went right back to the 3120.

EDIT: By the way, even with the EMGs, the clean tone was really really good. I tested it with this schecter guitar loaded with what I believe was an EMG 81/85 set. I'd dare to compare it to a fender. It wasn't quite as bright and sparkly, but it was excellent in its own way. Nice and jazzy and very shimmery.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Last edited by woodenbandman at Nov 4, 2009,
Quote by woodenbandman
Mother****in Triple XXX. I tested out the 3120 (same amp) today, and I nearly jizzed over the tone. The cleans were jazzy and sweet, the rhythm channel was tight and bright, and the lead channel... well I admit it could use some boost, but then again, I was playing it turned up all the way to 1, so...

You can buy the 212 combo all day on Ebay for 600 bucks. If you look hard, you can get one for 450 or so. I am buying that amp and I suggest you do too. I tried it right next to the 6505 and I just went right back to the 3120.

EDIT: By the way, even with the EMGs, the clean tone was really really good. I tested it with this schecter guitar loaded with what I believe was an EMG 81/85 set. I'd dare to compare it to a fender. It wasn't quite as bright and sparkly, but it was excellent in its own way. Nice and jazzy and very shimmery.

Yea, this sounds kinda like what I'm looking for. I'll check that out too. I'm just looking for used equipment in my area right now.