Since July, I have felt incredibly unmotivated to do basically anything. Last year, I was a B+ to A student (to 85-100). This year, not only have my academics have been bad, but I feel that everything in my life is a waste. Every day when I wake up I wish I was sleeping or doing something with myself. I felt very bad about this until a few close friends admitted they have had the same problem. We all feel unmotivated, like the full time job of school is not worth the hassle. Last year we all planned on going to college, now we're forcing ourselves as it is to stay in High School.

As of August, I am of legal age to drop out of school. I really don't want to do this. I would most likely hate myself and feel like a bum. The only thing I feel motivated to do is to create music- as cliche as it sounds. This past Sunday I jammed with a friend of mine and I was never happier in my whole life. His mother came to our practice space four times to tell us we were good, and actually asked us if we would like studio time.

"Oh no, a 16 year old hates school and wants to play music!!". As much as it sounds like that, I can assure it that it's not like that. I don't plan on becoming famous or rich, I just want to create something. To be remembered. Everything else in my life is insignificant now, boring. I feel like I'm slowly falling apart, becoming something that I don't want to be, but artistically I feel better than I ever had. I feel somewhat accomplished for some reason.

TL;DR: I feel different, unmotivated, and feel like nothing matters really. Many people I know have also suddenly felt this way, Does anyone else here feel this way?
Whatever you do, don't drop out of school. That's a terrible idea.
"On this life that we call home
The years go fast
and the days go so slow...

the days go so slow
."
Things to try:

Play thru Pokemon Red
Create a custom synthesiser (easier than it sounds!)
Circuit bend EVERYTHING
Take up cycling, explore your area.
Go somewhere scenic and read every dawn
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Welcome to the rest of your life.

I sincerely hope you're not finding University like this. Not one person I know in blighty is disappointed with university.
thats how i feel man,all i want to do is get stoned and write/play music.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Quote by Stormx
I sincerely hope you're not finding University like this. Not one person I know in blighty is disappointed with university.

I'm positive UK colleges are way better than American ones. You have no idea, it's basically high school version 2.
I don't have that problem per se.

My problem is that there is a level of excitement that I want from life, and life just isn't providing.

It's like going to see Saw 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Sure, you get that thrill of watching somebody's body get mutilated, but it just isn't the same as that first time...
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
exactly how i feel except im not sure if droping out of college is a good idea
that's like a description of my life, except the happiness in music thing, and I don't get anything less than an A.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
I'm positive UK colleges are way better than American ones. You have no idea, it's basically high school version 2.

That's insane. it couldn't be more different here. I have a condom over the smoke detector in my room, and I've only had 3 days where I haven't been stoned for lectures in my 5 weeks or so here =D
Quote by Tedward
Welcome to nihilism, friend.

I wasn't aware that apathy brought a fundamental misunderstanding of Philosophical principles.

It's probably just school to be honest. Don't drop out, drag yourself through. Dropping out would be idiotic in the long run. If you're sceptic on whether or not you should go to college or not, take a year out doing whatever before you make the commitment to more years of education.

You'll be fine, lad.
Quote by Stormx
That's insane. it couldn't be more different here. I have a condom over the smoke detector in my room, and I've only had 3 days where I haven't been stoned for lectures in my 5 weeks or so here =D

Oh, I get ****ing blazed almost everyday, I'm in Nor Cal for ****s sake.

But school itself and the way its run/the way everyone thinks it feels like I'm stuck in high school.
Quote by divinecrossfire
I don't have that problem per se.

My problem is that there is a level of excitement that I want from life, and life just isn't providing.

It's like going to see Saw 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Sure, you get that thrill of watching somebody's body get mutilated, but it just isn't the same as that first time...

I still think 2 was the best, but 5 and 6 were surprisingly good
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Oh, I get ****ing blazed almost everyday, I'm in Nor Cal for ****s sake.

But school itself and the way its run/the way everyone thinks it feels like I'm stuck in high school.

Ah, i was referring to the whole experience. My uni's very good for my course (fourth in the country) which must have something to do with it. The teaching is very good, relevent and concise.

I have lectures (turn up if you like, take notes/do what you want so long as you don't disturb) and labs, which are marked. It's nice because I know I'm only pissing off myself if I don't work. My school seems well organised too. High-school was very different, though I hear education below uni level in the states is pretty poor (zero tolerance and all that shit)
Yeah, I do. I'm doing terribly in English for no reason other than my teacher's a stupidly hard grader - if I had a more reasonable teacher I'd have a high B+ or a low A-, but instead I have a C+. Not quite sure why.

I can't really change it though, so...
I just put up with it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Same thing for me.

This is going to sound dumb, but ever since I lost my highspeed, and no longer play xbox live, I've been doing shittier in school, and just haven't felt the need to do anything

Before, I'd come home, play games till dinner, then after do homework. When I finished the work I'd go play some more games.
Now I just sit here on the computer, unable to get myself to work, though I've gotten pretty good at guitar, so that's a plus.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
This is why music colleges were invented.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
go to college and create music whilst there. Get a degree to fall back on..
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
Yee. I'm feeling the pressure to get a job/go to school now being a high school grad. It doesn't help that I'm 9km away from the nearest bus stop or any civilization for that matter, and I can't use anyone's car to learn how to drive. More of a rut than a wreck, but I'm not exactly sure how to get out.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
I've felt pretty much the same way since sophomore year. Now that I'm a senior, I'm doing everything I can so I can leave for college. Just get away for college and become active in the area, thats my plan. I'm also making as many things as I can in my free time, whether it be building stuff, writing music, whatever, just force yourself to be creative and then whtever it is you really wanna do will show up in the middle of it all. Once you know what it is, just fight for it and don't stop.
Peace is Possible.

One Thought,
One Action,
One Person at a Time.
well, in 9th grade i left public school for "home schooling" which consisted of mom nagging me to do my work and me procrastinating so much that I ended up months behind and then I just stopped completely.

i got a job for about 8 months at a grocery store at 17, got my GED towards the end of my job their with scores higher than anybody the teacher had seen (I didn't study) then I just sat around the house and jamming with my band for almost a year, doing nothing. then I enrolled at a community college, went for a couple of months and dropped out because I decided I wouldn't enjoy the field I was going in to as much as I thought I would.

and here I am almost a year later still doing basically nothing but playing with my band. I have started looking for a job again, but probably not as diligently as I should be.

I feel the same as you about my music, but I know I need to get some kind of income because this sucks. my parents don't mind me living at home, and they don't mind giving me gas and food money (as well as money for occasional cheap stuff, but I can't buy anything that i really want and I hate having to constantly ask for money. so yea, I feel pretty shitty too.

my plan right now is to get some kind of job that's not too horrible and save up to buy a couple of things that I really need gear-wise (enough to buy that stuff and still have some left over in the bank account) and then start saving up and maybe take some courses or go to a vo-tech.

but it's really hard to find the motivation after sitting around doing nothing for so long. I've applied at 5 or 6 places (one of which seemed really promising) but it seems like nobody is hiring, and I kinda got intimidated by the task of finding somewhere that wasn't on the mcdonald's level.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Nov 3, 2009,
Get a car. Get a license.

Go explore the world on the weekend.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

i really need to stop sitting on this forum during all my down time