I'm gonna get a wah pedal for x-mas. Me and my dad were talking about them and my mom heard me say that I "should tottaly get a wah pedal." Shes been asking me about them since then so Im like 95% confident Im getting one. But the thing is I don't know which one to ask for.

I play many styles but would probably use the wah for a distorted punk kinda sound, either as a soloing tool or as a tone pedal to make it overly trebely. I've tried to look up demos on youtube but all I could find were people playing all those classic rock wah standards.

So would you guys suggest a dunlop crybaby wah or a vox V847 (Ithink is what its called) for a distorted tone.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Nov 3, 2009,
They're both crap for distorted tones stock. Get the Dunlop to save your parents money then mod it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
They're both crap for distorted tones stock. Get the Dunlop to save your parents money then mod it.

the dunlop is only 10 bucks cheaper. And is there a better wah for distorted tone?
Quote by the_perdestrian
the dunlop is only 10 bucks cheaper. And is there a better wah for distorted tone?

How much do you want to spend? The Dunlop 535Q is okay for just about everything. It's not great at that but it's definitely a huge step up from the stock one. I believe it's $130 new.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Well I think Im getting a wah for x-mas so I don't know how much they're willing to spend. But I'll look up the 535Q

EDIT: also what do you guys think of the weeing demon?
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Nov 3, 2009,
I've heard amazing things about the weeping demon.

My bro has a crybaby and I like it a lot. I think the vox works better for clean tones, while the crybaby is better for distorted.

Weeping demon seems to get the best reviews of the 3 though.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
damn... take whatever you get.... i get groceries for christmas....
Peter Frampton: "Homer Simpson wrecks my pig, Cypress Hill steals my orchestra.... and Sonic Youth is in my cooler! Get outta there you kids!"

Thurston Moore: "Come on Mr. Frampton... you're not gonna eat all that watermelon..."
535Q, defs

Out of the box they're pretty average, but once you've spent a while with them, tweaking the controls, getting use to their pot... they're fantastic
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
I use the Crybaby. It's an amazing Wah.
Check out my Jimi Hendrix covers to hear it in action.
+ If you need: it's possible to make it a Volume-Pedal, too.
◘~(ô0)==>
Oh my tube, they rocked zwenny ! - Let's r0ck 0n!!
For distorted tone, for my money, you can't beat the WD-7 Weeping Demon. It's 100 bucks, and it has a fully adjustable frequency, Q, and bass level, and it's got a high/low switch. You can dial in pretty much any wah sound you want.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Take a look at this, it will provide you more options for your choice in wah pedals plus insights on where they seem to have drawbacks in them
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572372
(^ Yup its the link to the ultimate wah thread, with loads of info on some wahs )

If your picking a dunlop wah then the 535Q is good. You'll have to adjust the settings to each style you play though, but its still good enough to handle any genre out there as long as your capable of tweaking it right! It is not THE best wah out there, its more like a convenient jack of all trades like most people seem to call it

I prefer the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah & the Gig-fx Mega Wah, these sound really awesome to me, the second one is something i want to add to my gear list
Try one of them out if you get a chance & see what sounds good to your ears.
Quote by woodenbandman
For distorted tone, for my money, you can't beat the WD-7 Weeping Demon. It's 100 bucks, and it has a fully adjustable frequency, Q, and bass level, and it's got a high/low switch. You can dial in pretty much any wah sound you want.

Don't listen to this guy ^^^

He suggests a WD-7 anytime the word "wah" is mentioned.

The WD-7 is decent for high-gain situations, but comes up short for everything else. Unless you're going to be playing a lot of metal then I wouldn't recommend this pedal (even for metal, there are better wahs than the WD-7).

Quote by d a v e
damn... take whatever you get.... i get groceries for christmas...

+1

Last year I got parts to repair my car and clothes. I would have been thrilled to receive guitar gear, no matter what it was

Quote by mmolteratx

Agreed. Parents are normally more likely to buy their kid whichever one is cheaper due to their ignorance when it comes to gear. If you ask for the Dunlop, you have a better chance of getting it - then you can just mod it or send it somewhere to have it modded.
Thanks. For the info guys. And really I'm not the kinda guy who will ever play jimi hendrix. Ill more than likely make got awful noises with wah and feed back than play hendrix or funk. Its just how I roll.

I think I'm gonna go with a weeping demon. It seems to be geared toward distorted playing, very adjustable, I like the two different on/off setting, and the bass switch is a big plus for me.

I also find it funny that Im asking for a good wah for high gain and can't find any examples of these wahs being used for any thing but clean, and Still some guy was like"Hey you want here what it sounds like check out me playing it clean."
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Nov 4, 2009,
the vox is nicer stock than the crybaby but the crybaby is easier to mod. Id get the 535Q if you can.