So I have been trying to get better at finger tapping and i need help badly.

I can tap with one finger on my right hand(like playing the frets 1, 3, then play 7 with my right hand or something) but I can't do much beyond that.

The main problem is I can't seem to make good melodies out of tapping unless it's with only 3 fingers(2 on my left, one on my right) and I can really only make it sound good on the high E and B strings. The only song i've found good so far to help with my tapping is Devils Island by Megadeth(there's protest the hero but their riffs are a tad much for someone with my tapping skill).

So yeah anyway I can get better at finger tapping would be great. And I don't just mean like shred tapping, but I want to learn more melodic tapping(like trey gunn, all he does is tap and it sounds amazing. I mean sure, he uses that huge like 20 string guitar but he had to have started somewhere(unless he asked his parents for a guitar and they bought him a huge one lol.). so I don't just want to learn tapping for like soloing and stuff, but also to make songs with tapping(or at least melodic type stuff).
Take a look at some Van Halen stuff. Eddie was one of the pioneers of tapping.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
midnight ,bamboo by joe satriani and Heroes of sand by angra are good multi finger tapping songs.
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Quote by Junior#1
Take a look at some Van Halen stuff. Eddie was one of the pioneers of tapping.

Idk. I don't see what the big thing is about Van Halen. I mean I understand that at the time they were considered pioneers, but I find most of their stuff to be not that hard. And his tapping isn't that great. He mostly uses 3 finger tapping. Like Eruption, that was easy for me to learn :P
Quote by Nirvana00125
Idk. I don't see what the big thing is about Van Halen. I mean I understand that at the time they were considered pioneers, but I find most of their stuff to be not that hard. And his tapping isn't that great. He mostly uses 3 finger tapping. Like Eruption, that was easy for me to learn :P

Yeah, once you get used to his style, a lot of his stuff is pretty easy. But, if you can tap it how he did, you should be able to tap basically anything.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Nirvana00125

It was hard in the 80's, and it was new. It still sounds great to this day, and that's all that matters, it doesn't have to be hard. Some of the easiest things sound the best so don't think it has to be hard to sound good.
Here's a good video about tapping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoqB5qxaI2k
The first half is beginner info but he has some cool patterns at around the 3:30 mark.
Last edited by tenfold at Nov 5, 2009,