I recently started to kinda compose or just play some random solos of mine, from songs or just jamming and I'm planning on maybe recording some stuff later. The problem is that,while practicing, I found out that my tone is too harsh on highs with my bridge pickup (guitar is sz520qm , ibanez) which is a Seymour duncan SH-4 from the JB series if I remember correctly.

I don't think it's my amp (it's a roland cube 20x but I don't plan on using that amp to record) since on my other guitar (sas32ex, ibanez too), it sounds clearer and doesn't get harsh highs. It's also too trebly kinda. Well yeah, it's the bridge pickup, what should I expect... but I still want a clearer and more "alive" bridge pickup tone. Lowering my treble on my amp doesn't seem to fix it. . With my sas32 though, the tone's really decent, maybe even perfect. Only thing is that I don't like the feeling of playing it physically. I don't have lots of experience with pickups so yeah... need some help.

Thanks in advance

Side note: does anyone knows anything about True-Duo Bucker pickups? Cause that's what I have on my sas32ex.
bridge=harsh. you could try muting the notes to soften it a little if they are up high.

try the neck pickup...
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I did try the neck pickup, I use it pretty often, but that's not what I'm searching kinda. I want a clearer bridge tone.

I also got a prob with my neck pickup, it's actually too smooth, too soft, it kind of sucks for hard rock but it has incredible cleans and is really perfect for jazz/blues stuff and playing "acousticly" on electric guitar..
Buy an EQ, boost it for some solo settings but roll back the treble so its not as harsh. Maybe boost the mids to make up for the lack of treble?
Quote by nickdohle
Buy an EQ, boost it for some solo settings but roll back the treble so its not as harsh. Maybe boost the mids to make up for the lack of treble?

I see, but is it bad if the mids on my amp are pretty high? (around 6/10)

Quote by Alex Vik
Do you have a bridge pickup tone knob on the guitar? If so, I'd suggest lowering it.

I see, I'll try that, and anyways for hard rock which is what I mostly play, I don't use the neck pickup pretty much.

edit: my bad for leaving so quickly but I really have to, I'll make sure to answer to the repplies(if there's more) tomorrow. -Thanks for helping
Last edited by kevC4 at Nov 3, 2009,
I dont think its bad if the mids are high. You may not even have to boost them if you grab an EQ. Or just roll back the tone as Vik suggested. That might be cheaper. haha
Quote by nickdohle
I dont think its bad if the mids are high. You may not even have to boost them if you grab an EQ. Or just roll back the tone as Vik suggested. That might be cheaper. haha

Haha well yeah I will certainly try tone knob before, I should've though about trying it before making a thread though
Depending on your guitar, pulling off the tone might muddy your sound a little.

I had a similar issue as you. Now I use a Boss Super Overdrive pedal with the gain backed right back, tone just past half way, so it gives a little volume boost, but makes for a warmer tone without losing definition.

Hope that helps.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My Gear:
Gibson Les paul Special w/ humbuckers
Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Wildkat
Ibanez RG550
Ibanez S470FM
Marshall AVT 150H + 1960 Quad
Fender Pro 185