What's the difference?
I've spent the last 10 minutes looking it up, but I've found nothing.
Could someone please enlighten me? :P

I'm thinking of getting a cheap bass to play around with and was wondering whether an acoustic would be a good choice.

All I need are the differences... and maybe some recommendations for sub-$300? haha

EDIT: I've decided to get myself an acoustic, but am now debating between fretted and fretless. I do currently have an ibanez gio that we picked up at a garage sale for 15.
Last edited by MrOmniverse at Nov 5, 2009,
I'd go with the dean EAB fretless electric/acoustic, the only difference i find is its just much easier to pick up and play, no cables/amp required. I mainly used my acoustic for school. Also the acoustic sounds a little more like a stand-up bass.
The tone is so different. Acoustics can't get the sound electrics get, and vice versa. Just like the difference between acoustic and electric guitars.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Difference: the acoustic one sounds like an acoustic and the electric one sounds like an electric

If your playing acoustic-y music, buy the acoustic, if not, get an electric
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I would just get an electric anyway.
Electric could do acoustic and many more things where as the acoustic is very one dimensional.
Just get a small battery powered amp and away you go for acoustic jams (Y)
I only play my acoustic bass at home. If I want to doodle a bit or try something. No hassle to find a cable or go to the room where my amp is.
When playing with my band or other people, I always play my electric.
I cannot stand acoustic basses.

Why? an actual legitimate reason not involving tone or volume.

They fuck up my wrist because of the thick body
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Does anyone remember the fact that you could pllay an upright. IMO the tone and feel is a lot more distinctive than an acoustic bass guitar.
they don't sustain right.

though I would gladly give that up for the tone imbued by a Rob Allen Mouse with fuzz on it. that was always the coolest part of the bassfuzz.com reviews.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
thanks guys, I've decided on acoustic, because it seems like preference and not needing to plug it into an amp is rather appealling.

Now I'm debating fretted vs fretless.
fretless. with acoustic, any fret clacking is really, really powerful in the tone.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ indeed. Most people set the action way too low and end up with a lot of that. It's not an omnipresent thing though...I don't have any on mine. Fretless just sounds cooler as well, though. Listen to this tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIKV4KeprHQ

I believe that's a michael kelly. Great brand.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 5, 2009,
^the high action is why it doesn't completely dominate your tone.

a fretless can be used to do everything a fretted can.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I still think Acoustic bassist are a gimmick, they're cool and all, but most are not worth what you pay (apart from the Olympia mentioned before and it's Tacohma alternate), they are too quiet to play along side any other instruments (including acoustic guitars) and from the ones I've played I have found the response to not be as quick as my electrics.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
I still think Acoustic bassist are a gimmick, they're cool and all, but most are not worth what you pay (apart from the Olympia mentioned before and it's Tacohma alternate), they are too quiet to play along side any other instruments (including acoustic guitars) and from the ones I've played I have found the response to not be as quick as my electrics.

Again, they're really meant to be played plugged in. That's why even the very cheapest models are A/E. Even so, though, there are quite a few models that can hold up in living-room jams...not just those two. Hell, my samick does just fine, and it's got a fairly small body and a laminated top. I mean sure, it wouldn't hold up to an energetic dreadnought, but I've successfully used it alongside two Ovations.

And of course they're a bit more cumbersome. It's the same with acoustic and electric guitars, is it not?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 5, 2009,
Acoustic basses aren't versatile at all, that's all I will say.

The amount of stuff you can do on an electric is unsurpassable compared to an acoustic bass.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

^ Maybe he means more that the acoustic tone is just that: an acoustic tone. Plain and simple. You don't go into crazy effects, and the eq shifts aren't really as dramatic?

I think acoustic has its place. I will normally defer to an electric, but there is no substitute for an acoustic bass sometimes. The acoustic sound is great, but not for everything.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Mainly. I hate acoustics because

1. the tone and volume.

2. there are no pickups to put your thumb on.