Why is it that todays guitars are built seeingly backwords? It seems, to me anyway, that our "bad" hand does most of the work while playing and your "good" hand is basically just support. Does anyone have any information that could enlighten me to this? It does not make any sense to me.
I see what you're saying. I'm a lefty but I play a right handed guitar. It seems to make more sense seeing as my left hand is doing most the work. I often wonder what it would feel like if I had developed my "dominant" hand as my picking hand.

Does anyone know any history about this, I'd be interested to know
I think that the picking hand does most of the work tbh. Control of dynamics, timing, tone and muting is more important than how fast you can fret. Thats my reasoning anyway.
Quote by dmtransmutation
What the Grunge-haters think is just mindless musical nonsense, in reality is the restoration of the old rule of harmony to not write an entire song in one tonality/key
Quote by Elden G20
I think that the picking hand does most of the work tbh. Control of dynamics, timing, tone and muting is more important than how fast you can fret. Thats my reasoning anyway.

I agree with this guy!
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Elden G20
+1
Yes, I actually know this one.

The idea is that your dominant hand is the one actually playing the notes- which it is, unless you play everything with hammer-ons! It probably makes more sense for classical guitarists as their fretting hand is more often just holding chords (rather than playing a lead line).

Anyway, thats where it comes from, and thats why we do it that way.
Interesting topic..good answers. I nearly bought a lefty guitar because of this very reason. (being a piano player originally with right hand dominance) But I wanted a JS1000 and this was the deciding factor..availability LOL

Just for a laugh I sometimes play my guitar upside down fretting with my right hand, it seems like it might be easier..well at least if I had started that way.