I'm looking to record some music, but I don't really know where to start with the gear. I would be willing to spend between $300-400. I would also like some decent software that would allow me to do some basic editting (layering, looping, effects). I was browsing on guitar center and saw this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fostex-MR8HD-8-Track-Digital-Recorder-with-40GB-Hard-Drive-240341-i1480363.gc

But I'm also thinking I could find something cheaper on Ebay. Can anybody help me out? Oh and I mostly play acoustic, if that matters.
You can download free recording programs on your computer (although that can limit you if you use a desk top and you are wanting to record somewhere other than your house).

All you would need is a usb interface for your computer. Guitar -> interface -> computer.

Also, one of the best recorders that I've found is the Zoom H4n. Its a pocket sized, portable recorder so you can take it anywhere you go. Best thing is you get as close to studio quality recording as you can get without actually recording in a studio.

X/Y stereo condenser mics for external recording or you can plug your guitar or mic in via the 1/4"/XLR jack (those new 2-in-1 jacks that you see on everything now - I forget what they're actually called). The thing has a bunch of built in effects too. Its got a built in speaker for playback and a headphone jack if you wanna listen to it privately. Also, you can connect it to your computer via a usb cable and upload your recordings to your computer.

The things gonna run you $300. Its definitely worth looking into.
Wow, I just watched a 20 minute review of the Zoom h4n on youtube and I must say it seems like a very slick device. I'm going to have to research it a little more before I make any decisions, but thanks for leading me towards it.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
don't get it.

Elaborate why. You can't just make a statement like that with nothing to back it up.
okay, my bad sorry to be rude, just thats a x/y condensor set up stereo mic.its good for like outdoor recordings or like portable anytime recordings. but an interface is gonna benefit so much more, sense you can work a daw with it, use plugins etc. and track more. and have total controll. better quality with the interface too. in the end
Quote by CatharsisStudio
okay, my bad sorry to be rude, just thats a x/y condensor set up stereo mic.its good for like outdoor recordings or like portable anytime recordings. but an interface is gonna benefit so much more, sense you can work a daw with it, use plugins etc. and track more. and have total controll. better quality with the interface too. in the end

You can plug your guitar into the H4n and use the effects and whatnot on it.

Honestly I've heard recordings from an H4n that were much better quality than stuff recorded through a "professional" set up.
The Zoom that was suggested is a good choice, if you don't want to take the interface approach... my friend has it for his band, and it has provided some really nice recordings.

CartharsisStudios hits a good point on the interface approach, though. A little more complicated (well, it depends, and not really), but you can get some quality sounds from it.

If you don't need more than two XLR's or 1/4", then the Presonus Firebox would be a good choice.
For microphones, look at the OSP DL-330 (I think that's what I have) or something by ElectroVoice (eV).

Either approach would be good, honestly.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
must have not been very professional then.

you can get epic tone using vst plugins like amp sims and impulses plus the pres on an interface are gonna be of higher quality. and i am pretty sure you can't re-amp with a zoom or run outboard gear infront of it

I'm under the impression that you've never had any hands-on experience with the thing.

The TS asked for a recording device and that is one of the best options on the market. While an interface can prove to be more versatile sometimes, computer-based recording can also prove to be very complicated and confusing for someone who doesn't have a good understanding of how things work.

Today is the first day that I've seen you post in GG&A and you are already proving to be problematic. Get your head out of your ass and stop acting like you know everything.
will do. haha, in the long run, recording/mixing/editing/mastering/reamping/submixing/ will be easier with an interface plus you can get some epic tones through vst plugs and normally you can use the spifif out interface to connect to another interface when he upgrades it per say. like the firepod fp10 hooking up another interface say like an m-audio fasttrack ultra will make it have 10 channels.

Interface is gonna be the best way to go
Quote by CatharsisStudio
will do. haha, in the long run, recording/mixing/editing/mastering/reamping/submixing/ will be easier with an interface plus you can get some epic tones through vst plugs and normally you can use the spifif out interface to connect to another interface when he upgrades it per say. like the firepod fp10 hooking up another interface say like an m-audio fasttrack ultra will make it have 10 channels.

Like I said. The man didn't say "I'm looking to set up a professional recording studio. I have several years experience in the recording field and am very familiar with running programs that support VST plugins".

He said he wanted a simple way to record himself.

Also, the H4n can be connected to a computer via USB - you can upload anything you have recorded to your computer for editing, mixing, mastering, etc.

In this case something along the lines of a portable recorder would be much better.
Quote by CatharsisStudio

the zoom has condensers, though.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Also, the H4n can be connected to a computer via USB - you can upload anything you have recorded to your computer for editing, mixing, mastering, etc.

But wouldn't that defeat the purpose of not obtaining an interface?
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
According to Zoom's website, it CAN be used as an audio interface and record directly to the computer. So yeah, it's a great product, and that's what TS should get imo
Quote by Chili2122
I'm looking to record some music, but I don't really know where to start with the gear. I would be willing to spend between $300-400. I would also like some decent software that would allow me to do some basic editting (layering, looping, effects).

If he wants to multitrack guitars IMO its far easier to do with a DAW and an interface, portable recorders are great for just jotting down ideas but the TS wants to have a go at multitrack recording.

As far as cheap interfaces, you can't go wrong with any of the M-audio fast track variations, The mic pres are very useable and Its a doddle to use and If you want to get serious about recording you can use it with Protools if you wanted to!

For Software check out Reaper when you get a chance, its a very easy to use DAW. Technically its not free but the demo never expires.

Have fun
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Quote by chrism3006
If he wants to multitrack guitars IMO its far easier to do with a DAW and an interface, portable recorders are great for just jotting down ideas but the TS wants to have a go at multitrack recording.

As far as cheap interfaces, you can't go wrong with any of the M-audio fast track variations, The mic pres are very useable and Its a doddle to use and If you want to get serious about recording you can use it with Protools if you wanted to!

For Software check out Reaper when you get a chance, its a very easy to use DAW. Technically its not free but the demo never expires.

Have fun

Portable recorders offer multiple channels for layering guitars.

I still say in this case the TS is better off with a portable recorder.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
finally lol.

also if you can drop 400 get the profire 410 ****ING LEGIT CONVERSIO AND PRES it'll blow the hn4 out of the water haha

Like I said, until you've had hands on experience with a piece of gear you can't compare it to ANYTHING.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Portable recorders offer multiple channels for layering guitars.

I still say in this case the TS is better off with a portable recorder.

Fair enough man, Its just my opinion. For throwing down some acoustic Ideas your probably right I'd still go for the interface if was me
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Last edited by chrism3006 at Nov 4, 2009,
Quote by chrism3006
Fair enough man, Its just my opinion. For throwing down some acoustic Ideas your probably right, Its just that if he ever wanted to get into it more seriousely he'd more than likely a proper interface anyways.

The long and short of it as I see it; Get the Zoom if you want to record quickly and with good quality but if you're willing to invest some time and probably abit more money in the long run you'll end with a better sounding more versatile set up If you go the Interface rout.

Its all good man. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having a proper recording rig, but especially in a situation like this I think the TS is better off with something portable. He could put it in his guitar case and record anywhere he wanted to and upload it to a computer at a later time for mixing and whatnot.

And Catharsis - I left a comment on your profile.