Hi guys, just after a bit of advice here.
I'm thinking about setting up a seperate bank account that I don't touch except to pay in every month for say... 5-7 years and use it to save up for a bass. But not just any bass, my own personalised, custom shop, once-in-a-lifetime kind of bass.

So obviously, price wouldn't be much of an issue, because I could just save up for longer.
I suppose my questions would be:
Are Alembic worth the price, or would I regret it in 2-3 years of getting one?
ESP custom shop- I'm not keen on production ESP basses, but if I could order one with my own specs, would this make enough of a difference?
Do Ibanez have a custom shop? I can't find one but I would love to have a custom shop bass from them.
Any other suggestions?

Also, please keep in mind that I'm not a spoiled rich kid here, I'm planning on working my arse off to get this

thanks

EDIT: tl:dr I will have potentially $20,000+ to spend on a bass in 5-10 year's time... what should I do?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Nov 3, 2009,
Quote by m3tal_R3dn3ck
Spector or Warwick. Not as cheap as Esp or Ibs, but definatly worth it.

I've never gotten along with Spector. Warwick are worth looking into and I'd forgotten completely about them, so thanks for that.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Once you get into custom-made basses, the sky is the limit. There are countless makers of high-end, specialized basses out there. You could make an argument that Alembic started it all, but if you are planning on spending that much, you owe it to yourself to check out a lot of makers.

That having been said, Alembics are amazing instruments and at the same time, they are works of art. I've known a few people who shelled out coin of the realm for an Alembic, and none of them has regretted it. And we're talking about a period of over twenty years; not just two or three. If you get one - particularly one made to your specifications - I can't imagine that you won't love it.

I don't know if a custom ESP or Ibanez will give you the same satisfaction as would a bass from a top-of-the-line custom luthier. Yes, Ibanez has a custom shop here in the U.S.A., but I've never met anyone who obtained an instrument through it. It was set up to cater to big name players that Ibanez is eyeing for a signature model. You could certainly e-mail them and ask if you could obtain a custom-made instrument from them.

One of the main factors you must consider when you commission a custom-made instrument is the time it will take to complete the order. Many of the top makers have waiting lists of several years. If you commission an instrument, make sure you get a firm commitment from the maker on the delivery time.

If you know exactly what you want out of a bass and are willing to pay for it, a custom-made instrument can be the best option.
wow, thank you for that, that really made sense.

I plan on doing a lot more research into different companies, luthiers etc. a bit nearer the time.

Also what do you think of the idea of searching out local luthiers?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

If you have such a tremendous budget go for a luthier instead of a custom shop. Find one with excellent credentials, maybe see some of his other work ect. That way you can sit down with said luthier and discuss exactly what you want (which could be anything with all that money), instead of just sending specs to a custom shop.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Local luthiers can be a great option if they are good luthiers. Just because no one has heard of them doesn't mean they aren't any good. It just means people haven't caught on to them yet. All of the giants in the field started out somewhere as struggling unknowns trying to make a name in the business. If you have any local luthiers, then by all means, check them out. Take a look at their work. Play some of their instruments. Don't be afraid to ask them pointed questions, such as: "Why should I buy from you and not Alembic or Fodera or someone like that?" If they are producing a good product, they will be able to give you several reasons to buy from them beyond just saying "Well, man, I'm a lot cheaper."

And who knows? You may discover the next Fodera or Alembic or Elrick or Ritter right in your backyard. Then, in twenty years, your early-model custom bass will be worth a king's ransom.

Like I said, once you get into custom-made basses, the sky is the limit.
Ormsby? His work is phenomenal, I suspect he can do anything.

Apart from him, Ritter are good. Warwick have a very impressive custom shop if you're interested in that.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101

Apart from him, Ritter are good. Warwick have a very impressive custom shop if you're interested in that.

i would say this i was nearly drooling looking at some of Ormsby's builds they are just fantastic tbh.

But some Alembic's look beautiful.Also go with a something you know your going to LIKE and love for the rest of your life cause these are one of a kind beasts.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Alembics are brilliant Basses however I would have a good look at many other Bass custom shops like Status, Jaydee, Zon, Warwick etc. There are so many of them.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
Zon would do anything I believe, nothing is more bizarre than a Hyperbass.
the Warwick Custom Shop is very nice however- check it out.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Ken Lawrence or GTFO. The Chamberbrase II is just as beautiful as basses get. It's majestic, like a swan. A semi-hollowbody swan, with mandolin frets and six strings...and a spalted maple top with a macassar ebony fretboard... Mmm....
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Ritter are a possibility.

Oooooh, please do this, few things are as sexy as a Ritter.

Spent almost an hour last night looking over those Ritter-Royals. Ridiculous
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Oooooh, please do this, few things are as sexy as a Ritter.

Spent almost an hour last night looking over those Ritter-Royals. Ridiculous

after 10 neck bolts, it counts as compensation.

/honesty
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ True enough, but who can resist a gold-leaf, diamond inlaid bass with a mammoth bone nut? Or how 'bout the one with the 9000 year old bog oak body with the 500,000 year old opal inlay?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
*raises hand*

that is just gaudy and might I add, from what I've heard on youtube, they don't sound that impressive, they just look 'pretty'.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

*makes forlorn face*

awwww, but you can have part of a wooly mammoth as your nut!
I will agree however, some of them look like basses Donald Trump might buy.

If you've ever seen the inside of Trump Tower, you know what I mean
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I'd rather have my nut made from an animal that survived the ice melting.

this one doesn't look bad however, much more subtle than many Ritters.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Thats a nice Roya, but I think I like the classic a little better. The other models are just too weird, especially the Jupiter. Do like the lightwave pickups on the Raptor though, would love to see how those sound
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Why does it have to be a known maker, like ESP, ibanez, alembic etc. There are many custom instrument makers in the UK. People on Basschat complied a list and there was a good couple(ie i think there was like 120 or something)

If i were geting a custom bass, John shuker would be the man for me. Overwater, Jerzy drozd
, Warwick.

Also one of my favourite luthiers is polish just trying to think of his name.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
MEC>Ritter

Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

My guitar/bass magazine has ALOT of them warwick custom bass ads.
They're awesome if you like exotic stuff.
(e.g. AAAA flamed maple with f-holes and tobacco finish)

*drool*
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Last edited by Dawnwalker at Nov 4, 2009,
There's always Rick Turner's Renaissance basses. They do customs; they just did one for Stanley Clarke. And of course, Carl Thompson--but those basses tend to be love or hate thing for most people.
Thanks guys. These names are exactly what I was hoping for. Looks like I've got a lot of reading up to do.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

I would get a local luthier to make exactly what you want. Alembics and the like are pretty over priced imo
My .02 here.

Custom basses are all about how the bass makes you as a player feel. Does a custom instrument make you want to play more, become a better player, etc? If the answer is yes, then definitely go for.

I've owned some nice basses, and I have found that I am happier with custom basses than production models. This isn't to say that production basses aren't great, but I am happier when I play a custom bass.

As for some of my suggestions for makers, check out any of these guys:

Ken Smith (beautiful, understated, and amazing tone. Definitely classy)
Sukop (hopefully putting a down payment on one of these soon. Amazing basses!)
Fodera (horribly overpriced in my opinion, but they sound amazing)
Roscoe (way fat tone, amazing playability. I'm not a fan of the looks, but the tone is top notch)
Stambaugh (tons of options and relatively affordable for a completely custom bass)
Marleaux (the M bass I played was amazing)
Elrick (another one of my fav makers, though the tone is sometimes too modern and zingy for me)

Good luck man!
Check out Conklin. Not the cheap piece of crap stuff made by Cort, but the stuff custom made by Mike Conklin. Awesome stuff.
noonesaidDrozddamnit.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Nutter_101

And it's not gonna cost $20000 to get an amazing instrument with him either.

Seriously TS check out his work, he's also Australian so that's a plus for you too.
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by Nutter_101

Quote by DeAd-RiP
And it's not gonna cost $20000 to get an amazing instrument with him either.

Seriously TS check out his work, he's also Australian so that's a plus for you too.

I think I love the both of you
His work looks amazing
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Omsby has a running thread on the Gear Building forum. You could ask him what you would be getting into vis-a-vis a custom-made bass.
yeah definitely look in to getting an Ormsby Bass, he does some amazing stuff.
check out this thread, might help
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165704

I know a guy that got a bass made by Warrior Bass
http://www.warriorinstruments.com/current_bass_gallery.htm
he's let me play it before and it was unbelievable
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
If you can get to the UK I suggest having a look at Shuker custom jobs, he has some production models as well that retail for about £2500ish.

But heres the site: http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206