Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Last edited by Gyroscope at Nov 3, 2009,
I think most people probably just don't think of that in that situation unless they're driving a stick shift. Certainly my first reaction would be to slam on the brake as opposed to shifting to neutral if I was in an automatic.

Edit:
Quote by Gyroscope
Link fail.

Worked fine for me just a couple of minutes ago though .
Quote by samick007
I think most people probably just don't think of that in that situation unless they're driving a stick shift. Certainly my first reaction would be to slam on the brake as opposed to shifting to neutral if I was in an automatic.

I drive an automatic and often put it in neutral while braking, though it's usually because I get home late and would prefer my car to be quieter when I coast downhill to get home.

I admit, most people don't have the resolve to think of doing anything other than brake in a situation like this. Hell, I may not have thought about it if it happened to me before hearing about the cars doing it.
Quote by dudius
I drive an automatic and often put it in neutral while braking, though it's usually because I get home late and would prefer my car to be quieter when I coast downhill to get home.

I admit, most people don't have the resolve to think of doing anything other than brake in a situation like this. Hell, I may not have thought about it if it happened to me before hearing about the cars doing it.

you can just not step on the gas and you'll go faster.
Well, in new automatic cars, your shifter is just a switch, it is in no way connnected to the transmission, you put it in drive, and the computer senses that you put it in drive, so it shifts the transmission into drive. Now if the computer ****s up while your driving, then sucks for you.
Quote by SeEsAw12
you can just not step on the gas and you'll go faster.

I have no idea why you quoted me and said that
Quote by dudius
Just saw this on ABC's night-time news. Apparently it's the electronic gas pedals, but my question is, why doesn't anyone just throw it into neutral?

I'm pretty sure that's a great way to blow out your engine.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I'm pretty sure that's a great way to blow out your engine.

yeah well, I'd take that over the ass end of a truck

of course, the ignition works too
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Well now I have an excuse for driving 100 mph legally.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Throw it into neutral ?

Lawl.

Cause the ability to not be propelled won't cause high speed crashes !

But your engine will still be blasting power and you'll over rev. it and have pistons shooting up your asshole, and a ridiculously massive engine failure.

So not only are you gonna die if you throw it into neutral, but your car will be totaled.

/dontthrowitintoneutral
Oh man that reminds of when I drove my mom's expedition once about 80 miles. Somehow I ****ed it up and the car would jolt forward every couple of seconds when I was stopped. Everyone was looking at me like it was my first time driving. Felt like total n00b