Dunlop 535Q wah
2 6%
Talkbox
6 17%
other (please specify)
6 17%
Voters: 36.
Page 1 of 2
Aight, so I just got 1200 from student loans back, and naturally have extreme GAS.

I'm not sure what to get. Most people would tell me to save for an awesome amp, but I have no band and have otherwise no possibility to play it, so I'll wait on that one.

I'm in the process of recording a CD atm, and thought some effects or recording equipment could be cool.

I was thinking perhaps of some sort of POD, or the BOSS GT10? I remember hearing that the old GT8 was way inferior of the POD in terms of amp modelling, but having better effects. I don't know how that is nowadays

Other options include:

- an Ebow
- a Digitech Whammy (probably gonna get the old number II from Ebay)
- Dunlop 535Q wah (love this wah to death, had to sell my old one)
- talkbox (should work with an interface with two inputs, no? one for guitar, the other for the mic?)

I don't want to spend TOO much, probably only around 200 euros, since I'm also going to get a new mic (probably an SM7), and am planning to spend more on that.
Other - Send it to me...

I'll show you how Americans spend money

on booze and women

Serious response

Talk Box....

Frampton that shit UP!
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
BUILD a talkbox. For serious.

I took one of those little pignose amps, and taped a funnel to it, with a tube. It worked great.

Have you got a delay? I find that I can't do without a good delay (even though I am, and it hurts). I love me some delay. Even if you never use it live, it's just so fun to mess with it. Find a good delay.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Digitech GSP1101(with C48 beta firware installed) is worth looking into as well along with RP500(this one is good enough for recording)

People say Boss GT series have nice effects in them but their OD/Dist models are not at a same level like others out there in the same price range even today.But remember that GT is more of a pro unit, in a sense that it allows you to tweak alot, so the learning curve is a bit difficult for noobs, but if you have the time to spare getting deep into its capability then it definitely kicks butt
Out of the box with factory presets its not that great, you will find that if you want it only for effects, then it will work for you very well, but if OD/Dist are more important to you then i would look into digitech stuff along with POD since they both seem to have better OD/DIST tones than Boss GT out of the box PLus they are easy to tweak too.

On a side note(dont flame me for this) The axe-fx beats every other modeller out there with effects in par with eventide, but then again its darn expensive than any of the ones above (about 3-4 times expensive than the price at which you could find the others used online) , but sometimes if you get lucky then one might show up cheap online although not 200 euros cheap :P: lol
no offense man, but you have some really horrible options listed up there in your poll.

bank it, do some homework, then decide what you want, because everything on that list (and the sm7 you mentioned) is 'meh' at best... maybe with the exception of the ebow, but i'm sure you could find more useful gear than that with a little help from your old friend google.
Quote by GrisKy
no offense man, but you have some really horrible options listed up there in your poll.

bank it, do some homework, then decide what you want, because everything on that list (and the sm7 you mentioned) is 'meh' at best... maybe with the exception of the ebow, but i'm sure you could find more useful gear than that with a little help from your old friend google.

are you shitting me? are you saying the 535Q is a bad wah? that alone makes me believe you have no idea what you're talking about.

instead of posting useless crap like that, how about make some suggestions instead?

sorry for the late reply, I was in hospital. atm I have an Agile 8-string guitar and a toneport UX1. and before people start coming in and saying "OMG YOU HAVE TO GET AN AMP AND RECORD WITH A MIC!!!", I can't do that becaúse I live in a dorm and have to be quiet, so I'm looking for best amp modelling possibilities out there, and have heard only good about the POD concerning amp models, and the GT10 concerning effects.
Quote by CoreysMonster

(1) are you shitting me? are you saying the 535Q is a bad wah?

(2) that alone makes me believe you have no idea what you're talking about.

(3) instead of posting useless crap like that, how about make some suggestions instead?

(4) I'm looking for best amp modelling possibilities out there, and

(5) have heard only good about the POD concerning amp models, and the GT10 concerning effects.

(1) I said it was "meh at best."
(2) Ok.
(3) I did. I told you to bank it for now.
(4) Didn't someone already say Fractal Axe-Fx?
(5) Now you're hearing otherwise.

buy what the **** you want to. I gave you my advice, take it or leave it.
Quote by GrisKy
(1) I said it was "meh at best."
(2) Ok.
(3) I did. I told you to bank it for now.
(4) Didn't someone already say Fractal Axe-Fx?
(5) Now you're hearing otherwise.

buy what the **** you want to. I gave you my advice, take it or leave it.

your advice was pretty crap, because you pretty much said "buy something else."
but gave no reason why what I suggested is crap, nor what possible more expensive stuff would be.

so what amp modellers are superior to the pod? I'm not trying to flame you, but you're honestly giving shitty advice that doesn't help me in any way.
UG is definitely on it's dib dabs today. Remember that on the 5th of December too!

If you're only going to spend €200, then just get what you want. The €1200 title is a little misleading as people will just look for ways for you to blow it on stuff you might no want.
why not get a standard crybaby add in a q control and a volume pedal switch? and spend less than you would on the Q...

personally. building a talk box would be cool. the digitech whammy can do all sorts of sh*t. if you're willing to go U.S i watched the blind test for visual sound pedals on youtube, their chorus blew me away.

the only really good thing about the pod is when you connect it to the computer, you can get almost very modulation they offer.
Quote by blandguitar
why not get a standard crybaby add in a q control and a volume pedal switch? and spend less than you would on the Q...

personally. building a talk box would be cool. the digitech whammy can do all sorts of sh*t. if you're willing to go U.S i watched the blind test for visual sound pedals on youtube, their chorus blew me away.

the only really good thing about the pod is when you connect it to the computer, you can get almost very modulation they offer.

because I would have no idea how to do that, and would probably end up breaking the pedal. I'd rather just get something that I know how to use and that I know works well.
Quote by greggybhoy
UG is definitely on it's dib dabs today. Remember that on the 5th of December too!

You Irish are crazy.....

Other than that, I'm going to have to agree with Grisky. Bank it, do your homework and THEN decide. Otherwise it will just sit there, mocking you, willing you to spend it. Then you make dumb purchases and you will regret it.

Check out amplitube.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by CoreysMonster
your advice was pretty crap, because you pretty much said "buy something else."
but gave no reason why what I suggested is crap, nor what possible more expensive stuff would be.

so what amp modellers are superior to the pod? I'm not trying to flame you, but you're honestly giving shitty advice that doesn't help me in any way.

jesus christ man, do i have to beat you with a sledge hammer?

i didn't say buy something else, i said put your money in a f***ing bank! the reason why your suggestions are poor ones is because they all have either poor sound quality, bad value vs. cost, or little to no paractical use for your needs, or a combination thereof.

once again, the fractal axe-fx is by far the most superior modeling unit on the planet today. yes, it's quite expensive. either spring for it or don't. i don't care how you spend your money, it's your money. blow it on crack and *****s for all i care. if you think my advice is s***, fine, don't take it.

good day sir.

EDIT: just read NR's post. if the money is burning a hole in your pocket, take this guy's advice... always. this dude is prett much king of FX.
Last edited by GrisKy at Nov 5, 2009,
wow, how butthurt people get when you call them out for posting advice that isn't helpful.
you could've posted that in your first post, instead of just telling me how crap everything was without giving a reason and telling me to use google. I don't mind people telling me that my ideas or gear are crap, but at least don't be such an elitist about it.

and to people saying the 535Q is crap, why? I've had it before and thought it was pretty sweet. the Colorsound wah is an awesome wah, no doubt about that, and much clearer and warmer than any Dunlop I've ever played, but it's, IMO, just a different sounding wah not everyone wants that warm, full sound the Colorsound has.

However:

both the colorsound and the axe-fx are definately good suggestions, I'mma check out the colorsound prices here and see if I can afford them. The Axe-FX is something I'll have to save up for, but it'll obviously be a good investment, so thanks for those tips, guys. But I'd rather do it like this:

1. start off with crappy TonePort and Gearbox
2. upgrade to better quality
3. upgrade to professional quality

So I'm looking more for something in better than the gearbox and toneport, but not as insanely expensive as the fractal.

EDIT: hmm... apparently they don't sell the colorsound here oh well, I'll probably either stick with the 535Q or get a morley.
I've just come out of the hospital and have had tons of blood taken out of me, so I'm still a little woozy, please excuse if my posts don't make sense.

EDIT: apparently, they don't sell any of the wahs you mentioned, nightraven
are those all discontinued models, or US exclusive or something?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by nightraven
so you want a cold and mushy wah pedal like the dunlop? the only pedal i've found worse than the dunlop line is the ibanez weeping demon wah.

you can get colorsound pedals direct from the builders at http://www.macaris.co.uk/ which is good because the pound is low atm. and colorsound pedals are on ebay and classifieds quite a bit, both vintage and reissue.

Mushy? I dunno, out of all the wah's I've ever tried, I liked the 535Q the best. I dunno, I guess I DO like that cold and mushy sound

god, now I feel like that kid who Dream_Pin was flaming about not admitting his guitar tone sucked.
I dunno, maybe my ears suck, but it really is what sounded best to me with my old gear.
Quote by CoreysMonster
wow, how butthurt people get when you call them out for posting advice that isn't helpful.
you could've posted that in your first post, instead of just telling me how crap everything was without giving a reason and telling me to use google. I don't mind people telling me that my ideas or gear are crap, but at least don't be such an elitist about it.

and to people saying the 535Q is crap, why? I've had it before and thought it was pretty sweet. the Colorsound wah is an awesome wah, no doubt about that, and much clearer and warmer than any Dunlop I've ever played, but it's, IMO, just a different sounding wah not everyone wants that warm, full sound the Colorsound has.

However:

both the colorsound and the axe-fx are definately good suggestions, I'mma check out the colorsound prices here and see if I can afford them. The Axe-FX is something I'll have to save up for, but it'll obviously be a good investment, so thanks for those tips, guys. But I'd rather do it like this:

1. start off with crappy TonePort and Gearbox
2. upgrade to better quality
3. upgrade to professional quality

So I'm looking more for something in better than the gearbox and toneport, but not as insanely expensive as the fractal.

WAT!? That's a silly idea. You have a bunch of money you want to spend on gear so you're going to blow it by buying shit stuff and upgrading from there? You'll never make back the money on the shit stuff so why not just get the decent stuff?

Even if you decide it's not for you you're more likely to get a decent re-sale value on higher quality kit.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by GrisKy

bank it, do some homework, then decide what you want, because everything on that list (and the sm7 you mentioned) is 'meh' at best...

you are the biggest ****ing idiot in the world

the SHure SM7 IS ONE OF THE IF NOT BEST MICS FOR MALE VOCALS its quality has one numerous shootouts agianst the NUEMANN tlm (you proably don't even know what that is) with a channel strip that is one of ****ing hell of a mic

hell even m,icahel jackson used it on thriller but that was "meh" at best.

why don't you do some ****ing research?
Quote by CatharsisStudio

the SHure SM7 IS ONE OF THE IF NOT BEST MICS FOR MALE VOCALS its quality has one numerous shootouts agianst the NUEMANN tlm (you proably don't even know what that is) with a channel strip that is one of ****ing hell of a mic

GrisKy's shown himself to be pretty knowledgable about this stuff.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
sm57 is the industry standard for a damn reason. I'm with ryan on this one
WTLTL 2011
Quote by nightraven
ryan (catharis) is pretty smart too. if only we knew more about recording gear

Probably true.

Although he does need to calm down a little bit.
Quote by Mark G
sm57 is the industry standard for a damn reason. I'm with ryan on this one

It was regarding the SM7. I'll admit I'm not too knowledgable about mics, I was just saying GrisKy might know something.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I voted for the POD, I've got an X3 myself and I quite like it. The amp models are solid and all of the effects work well. I find it great for playing on headphones and into a computer. I haven't done any recording with it yet but I only have audacity so I imagine it would turn out pretty meh anyways. I find it also works well run into an amp as well, I like to run it POD X3 -> MXR 10 band EQ -> amp power section and find it capable of quite nice tones. All in all a solid purchase and is only about a third of your 1200 euro budget.
I suppose we all knew this was coming, right?

Quote by CatharsisStudio

*cracks knuckles*

no, only the second biggest... you've got me beat there.

why buy a sm7 (which is no longer in production, mind you) when TS could go with an sm7b, which has proven to be more versatile than the original, with better rejection, and without having to pay collectors' prices? oh, and it's not as flimsy as the original, and works just as well on vocals (and is pretty outstanding on cabs). try it with a Chandler Germanium pre if you really want to hear it sing.

and which Neumann TLM are we talking about here? the 103? 49? 67? kinda' makes a big difference there, don't you think? or do you know wtf I'm talking about? Frosty's got better odds at a campfire in Hell than an sm7 OR sm7b has of upstaging a 67.

and a rather strong arguement can be made that the better the vocalist, the less is required (so long as fundamentals are kept in order, such as no distorting mics, etc). i'll defer to Quincy Jones as to why an sm7 was used. i don't know every piece of gear in his
chain for jackson's vocals, and it's a safe bet that you don't either. besides, what captures jackson is not the same thing that captures you, or me, or kelly clarkson, or some dude in a bus station, and it's an even safer bet that TS's voice is not Michael Jackson's.

you want to talk about hellova' mic, go dig up an old u87.
sir i tip my hat to you

lets see where to start

i thought were talking about the sm7b, not the sm7a sorry about that

also the U87 is ****ing win. also there was a shoot out between the TLM 103 and the sm7 which i know the tlm 103 is the lower grade. IF i remember right. but thats still saying something. they were so sooo soo close but the tlm had this slight 9k bump that was just a bit annoying compared to the sm7
but still sense the sm7b is a great mic that can hold its own but it would never win agianst the 67 for sure

but yeah ****ing awesome dude \m/ yeah dude those chandler pres are ****ing awesome i got to run my Sm7b through a LA-610 and a distressor into an apoggee rosetta, <3333 haha

its epic you know whats up. i'll kick my self in the dick now
Last edited by CatharsisStudio at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by CatharsisStudio
sir i tip my hat to you

lets see where to start

also the U87 is ****ing win. also there was a shoot out between the TLM 103 and the sm7 which i know the tlm 103 is the lower grade. IF i remember right. but thats still saying something. they were so sooo soo close but the tlm had this slight 9k bump that was just a bit annoying compared to the sm7
but still sense the sm7b is a great mic that can hold its own but it would never win agianst the 67 for sure

but yeah ****ing awesome dude \m/ yeah dude those chandler pres are ****ing awesome i got to run my Sm7b through a LA-610 and a distressor into an apoggee rosetta, <3333 haha

Video it!
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by CatharsisStudio
sir i tip my hat to you

lets see where to start

no need for a dick-kick, the two are easily mistaken, in fact i think someone on this thread thought we were talking about the 57. and to be fair, old 87's are not even remotely close in price of a 7b... neither are new ones for that matter, but the new u87's are known to be rather shrill. at the price point, it's damn hard to find a better mic for guitar cabs than sm7b's... maybe a senn e906. they're about half the price and do an amazing job close-micing cabs, though not nearly as versatile. akg's c414b xl's are a great re-creation if you don't mind paying 3x the price of 7b, and of course nothing beats a pair of matched r212's as overheads, distance mic's, petty much anything acoustic, and SOME close micing... maybe as dimensionals for vocals too.

the 610 you mentioned is pretty BA dude, and i've heard nothing better for overheads than a pair of royers run into a pair of 610's. personally, i'm dying to get my hands on a tla-100a and a cl1b, but EAR's 660 is giving me waaaaaaay too much GAS to spring for them.

you ever used avalon's vt737sp for vocals? i never have, but i hear it's right up there with the big boys... though it looks like a few too many bells and whistles for my tastes

so, you've got "studio" in your name, i take it you run or maybe own one? if so, you might want to hit up some of the regulars over at the bandleading forum. a few of them are in the same boat.
sorry for the mix-up, guys, I WAS tslking about the sm7b the whole time

http://www.thomann.de/de/shure_sm_7b_studiomikro.htm

my bad. I was already wondering why devin townsend would be recording with only a "meh" mic "Hey, I want to get a better guitar and amp than my squire and fender frontman" are you going to tell him to get a Diezel and a PRS Custom?
People have gotten great results with cheaper equipment, I'm just looking for something a little better than my toneport. but, ryan, I'll be hunting for you in the chat to hear your advice.

and my voice is TOTALLY like jackson's. liike, almost identical, man
Quote by CoreysMonster
"Hey, I want to get a better guitar and amp than my squire and fender frontman" are you going to tell him to get a Diezel and a PRS Custom?
People have gotten great results with cheaper equipment, I'm just looking for something a little better than my toneport.

see, that's just it, you want to IMPROVE your tone, not just get new stuff that sounds the same or only slighly better.

now, if someone's in the market for Diezel, I'm the last person to be telling them otherwise, but really it's all about what gets YOUR sound. there are so many kids on this forum that are convinced that a multi fx unit is going to give them MkIV, or JCM800, or 6505. sad truth is it just doesn't work that way. if someone's sitting on an MG, I'm not going to tell them a spider III is an improvement, but, sticking with that example, a classic 30 or maybe an ht5 or whatever would be.

actually... hmmm...

you're in a dorm room you said? that means no cranking it, but a nice low watt amp might be perfect, something exactly along the lines of an ht5. an sm7b would be fine for both your cab (you can get a sweet deal on an Avatar 2x12 loaded and wired the way you want it) and you vocals, especially if you sound just like MJ

as for guitar, if you're not happy with your current one (not sure if the squire you mentioned was yours or if that's just an example or whatever), you should have enough cash left over to look into some shec/ibanez/jackson upgrades... or possibly parts from warmoth?

as far as interfaces go... i know what you're dealing with as far as the toneport goes. i hate that ****in thing so much, but it's hella useful when you're on the go. you could look into some of MOTU's line, or Presonus pre's, both of which are pretty good quality at a great value. it's tough to reccommend studio gear, since it really is a whole different animal than live equipment... to do it right you need a number of things that work well for you: interface, converters, monitors, board, a DAW you know inside and out, mic's, pre's, comp's... the list gets really long and "optinal" at about that point. as with anything, it really all boils down to what you expect to accomplish with the gear that you plan on owning.

i'll use the sample on my page for example. they're pretty much crap through and through. they were all recorded straight line into a toneport using PODfarm and sonar5. hell, most of them even stray out of time. why? because all i use that setup for is to record ideas to e-mail to my bandmates and get their thoughts. i'm not shipping those off to Roadrunner or A&M/Octone or whoever. get what i'm saying? the idea behind recording is to capture your sound if you have any intention of marketing the recorded material (either for comercial sale or to a label). chances are slim that you'll be happy with the capabilities of a multi should you choose to treat it as your recording "do-all."

hell, after you get your rig in order the way you like, why not look into one of those handheld portable recorders? studio quality it ain't, but it's great for getting your ideas down, and they can usually be found at a fair price so long as you avoid "the lates/greatest new toy." later on down the road you can walk those ideas into a studio and really make it shine. just a thought.
grisky, I admit myself a fool and a moron.

I apologise for being a dick, and thank you for your awesome advice. that blackstar Ht5 just might work, and would probably work best out of all my low-budget options. since that amp is just as expensive as the POD, and I was getting the sm7b anyways, I'll go try out the blackstar as soon as I can.
tbh the tone port isn't that horrible if you know what your doing my friend erik does all his recording with a tone port...its stupid how great it sounds alot of the people from sneap forum use the tone port. and its all about if you know the right models to use and crap then you have your free vsts

tbh grigs the only mics i'd ever on distorted guitars are
sm57
royer 121
md421
i5
just out of curriosity, were you close micing with th 121's when they distorted?
Page 1 of 2