No matter how hard or soft I hit the strings I can hear it through the guitar. The chords ring but I always get this clunk when my pick hits the string. This happens more than anything when I play distorted.

I have an Ibanez RG 321 and I play through a VOX AD30VT if any of that matters. I dont think it is my technique because I have tested it by just barely lightly touching the string and I still get the loud tapping sound. I am not saying I am an expert but I would really like some help. I already lowered my pickups and still get the same thing.

When I play the open strings its noticeable and when I play muted its noticeable both distorted. When I play clean its a little noticeable but still there. I would like to play the chords without the chunk or tapping like we hear in lots of music. Just dont get why I cant do it. I have also tried not using the amps presets and just setting them in manual thus leaving the gain at like 4 or 6 instead of all the way up and I still get it. I also tried light picks and mediums and its still there...

Thanks
"shwing"
Make sure that the pick is parallel to the strings, not hitting them on an angle:

-------------------
-----------------
-------------------

as opposed to:

-----\-------------
------\------------
-------\-----------

That's very exaggerated, but you get what I mean.
Quote by ivanm1
I have tested it by just barely lightly touching the string and I still get the loud tapping sound.

Do you mean touching it so lightly that it doesn't even play a note, but it still makes the tap sound? That seems like it might be some sort of electrical problem. Static electricity buildup? Is the guitar's wiring contacting the bridge somewhere, maybe in your tremolo springs if you have one?

Do you get the same problem using a different guitar with your lead and amp? What about using your guitar with a different amp? Same guitar and amp, different lead? What if you don't use a pick?
possibly grounding

strongly disagree with the flatpicking method (you might aswell tell satch and vai they`re not using their picks right)

are you using lots of distortion and delay/echo?
Most likely this is down to too much high end distortion. Ease back the treble and up the mids a bit and it should lessen the 'clang'.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by ibanezgod1973
possibly grounding

strongly disagree with the flatpicking method (you might aswell tell satch and vai they`re not using their picks right)

are you using lots of distortion and delay/echo?

If its wrong it's wrong:P
If you turn down the highs and boost the lows a bit it should help... another thing that contributes to the problem is the pickups in the rg. They're pretty hot pickups and they pick up any little annoyances. Its just something you're stuck with in that regard unless you switch the pups. Also try adjusting the levels on the guitar itself.
Thanks for all the replies. I will start checking it out when I get off work... Ill keep the thread updated.
"shwing"
Okay the guitar is still doing it. Even the slightest slide or anything comes through the amp extremely loud. How do I check grounding on the guitar?

Any other ideas what it could be?
"shwing"
A video/sound clip may help here. Does it happen on every guitar you have played, or just yours? Does it happen when other people play your guitar?
I dont ever remember it happening before and it happens to anyone that picks up my guitar. I only have one guitar and amp so I may go to the local shop and play my guitar through a different amp.

The slightest touch sounds when your screw driver touches a pickup. very light sliding up and down the neck can be heard clearly. The pick ups seem to pick up everything...
"shwing"
Judging by your last post, your pickups are acting very microphonic. Are they covered, or open coil?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Its to do with your tone, some brands really emphasis on plectrum noise, its really annoying especially with amp modeling software, tweak with your settings until the noise goes away I've no experience with VOX so the amp could be the problem, are you using the neck or bridge pickup???
What pickups are in your guitar??
My pickups are INF3 in the neck and INF4 on the bridge.

Thanks
"shwing"