So, im finally getting a bass, very soon. I've been playing on the top four strings of my guitar(and actual basses when i get the time) which sucks but i can atleast get an idea of my playing. My favorite songs to play are Freezing Moon by Mayhem, and For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica. I can also play those on a real bass(one of my friends) so the guitar seems to crossover fairly well. Well, what i was wondering is when i will be able to start up a band with my bro, who plays guitar. I mainly just want to get myself going along to keep myself focused. Any answers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
Start now. Don't wait. Playing with other people is the best way to improve your skills. Who cares if you aren't as good as Metallica? Work at it and you will be. Every day you wait because you think you aren't good enough is one more jam session that you missed out on. Pick it up, plug it in and play!
Sounds like you'll be good enough to gig within a few months of getting your bass. Just make sure to get a drummer. ;D
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Quote by yoduh4077
Sounds like you'll be good enough to gig within a few months of getting your bass. Just make sure to get a drummer. ;D

yeah, the drummer will probably be the hard part. I want to start a slower black metal band(not ambient or any of that weird, although kinda good, stuff). Actually freezing moon would be a good example. So a decent vocalist wouldn't be too hard to find if i can even find people that like black metal.

And, i really just don't want to go up and look like a clown, i mean if i really wanted to could i get gigging within 6 months. I have a little guitar experience so the whole stringed instrument isn't new to me either but yeah know. haha thanks alot guys
i would say 5 months (ish) im not in a band yet but theres a band looking for a bassist and its oh so very tempting to try out even tho the lead singer was a friend who i fell out with for no apparant reason but women singers are irrational i think
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Whenever you feel ready. Bands are meant to be a bunch of friends together playing music. You'll learn a shedload within a band too.

On the subject of gigs, I had a gig after less than 2 months, was a great experience. I know guys who have played bass for much longer before their first gig, and failed miserably. It's all about when you feel comfortable.
I had a gig after 2 months which went quite well. The songs I played were rediculously easy, but I had great fun. Start a band asap
The sooner the better. Best way to get better is to just do it.
yeah i would want to start my own band(most likely with my brother as im fairly introverted and don't really have any friends my age but can get along with anyone over 18 for some reason lol). But i would like to have more control over it since no one around where i live really listens to black metal and i couldn't find a band i would want.

So, it seems that i should also wait until i feel ready. Ill probably just jam to begin with
TS: First of all, great taste in music. Second of all, Freezing Moon is not exactly a "slow" song by any means. Finding a drummer to cover Hellhammer's part in that song would be a daunting task. Third of all, wait until you're comfortable playing along with an actual drummer (not just along to a backing track or a song) before you start gigging.

Good Luck!
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
TS: First of all, great taste in music. Second of all, Freezing Moon is not exactly a "slow" song by any means. Finding a drummer to cover Hellhammer's part in that song would be a daunting task. Third of all, wait until you're comfortable playing along with an actual drummer (not just along to a backing track or a song) before you start gigging.

Good Luck!

haha

Well, i mean the black metal/changing tempos kind of thing. I mean really their is maybe 2 minutes of speed. Maybe im just seeing it as slower because i can actually play it I knew a drummer would be the hard part mainly because there are alot of people who would like to bash away on a drum kit but not many can do it well.

Oh and thank you for complimenting my musical taste (i need to use less smileys
Do it!

I was in a band within weeks of picking up a bass for the first time and this was my first instrument. within less than 5 months I played my first gig. I used to play with the tone controls set deep so no-one (I thought) could hear the mistakes. Then I found out that because we were practising without the drummer that every member of the band were using me for all the timing and chord changes. Scary.

It skews the way you learn as the priority is always the next few songs in the set and as the bassist you just have to get things right and not worry too much about the correct way to learn, my theory lags way behind what I play, sadly.

All bands have people who play 'better' than others but just as a football team can't play unless someone is in goal any band you are in wouldn't be there without you. The Beatles just wouldn't have been the same without Ringo (no relation)