So, since i am getting a bass soon i want to get a good bass. I am looking at buying the BC Rich Paolo sig because, he is probably my favorite bassist, I really love the look, and it sounds good on albums and live. But can anyone tell me if i should get it as i have heard that BC Rich's are great but only the higher quality basses and the lower end is terrible. also i hope to get the 4 string version which also seems to be the only i can find.

Vid

Here

Now the other problem is that i can't get it and an amp at the same time. Im strapped for cash and so if i get the bass(which is $550) i would have to wait a few months before i can get an amp. But, the way i look at it is that if i buy a lesser guitar that i really won't LOVE but will do the job, i will just get a crappy amp at the same time. So would it be ok if i play the bass acoustically for the time being?

Thanks for the help guys
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
If you don't have an amp for it then get a cheaper bass and an amp, you will benefit more IMO.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by ozzyismetal
If you don't have an amp for it then get a cheaper bass and an amp, you will benefit more IMO.

But the thing is that i will just be getting to lame things instead of one awesome one. IDK, it is pretty stressful as i don't have 550 to go throwing around especially with christmas coming up
If I were you I'd look into other basses in the price range, as most sigs cost more than they're truly worth just because of the name, if you want a 5-string, I'd say to look for a used Ibanez SR-505 or something of the sort, you could maybe find a pretty decent deal online. As far as the amp issue, if you're planning on getting a bass and an amp, put more money towards the amp rather than the bass, as the amp will affect your sound more than your bass would. If you want to spent all the money you have on a decent bass and just wait to spent money on a decent amp, that'd work too, so long as you don't mind playing acoustically. It's just definitely not going to be worth it in the long run if you buy a low-end bass and a low-end amp, especially if you plan on sticking with the instrument. I'm sure other people here will have better responses, this is just my opinion.. for the money you're willing to spend on the bass alone, I think you could find much better.
If your absolutely set on the B.C. Rich and anything else simply won't do, by all means buy it, then save to get an amp. You just might have a hard time hearing yourself. You can get a good practice amp for about $100. What I'd suggest is save up some extra cash, so your budget is around $600, buy an amp for around $100-$150, then look for a used version of said B.C. Rich. Another (and personally I think a better) option would be to have an open mind about what basses you would want, go find an amp, and then play as many basses as you can within your remaining price range. Who knows, you might fall in love with something else.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
fact- most basses will sound amazing through a huge amp. guess what Paolo also has?

in my experiences, that bass is terrible.

get a cheaper, better sounding instrument.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
ehhh i think i will get a nice bass first. I am open minded on the bass, mainly just asking if its good. Really i think i would be happier getting an amp later on, thanks
Quote by the humanity
fact- most basses will sound amazing through a huge amp. guess what Paolo also has?

in my experiences, that bass is terrible.

get a cheaper, better sounding instrument.

this man is correct i also tried one of these out as i thought damn a nice looking BC Rich and its a bit higher price than the last one i played surely it was better but it lacked compared to a lot of basses in its range what made it worse that it was played through a Line 6 lowdown not a great amp imo i prefer having all the pedals and crap with an Ashdown combo come christmas that is.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.