so i have a very cheap j bass copy, and it hums like crazy when im playing it (like, anything above 5 on a 15watt)...and I need to gig with itt. thing is, with gig volumes, im sure the hum will go ape-sh!t...so how can i solve this problem? is it the case of getting a new bass? maybe new pickups??

thanks
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
you'll need at least amp with DI or a 300W amp to gig with, 15 W are only meant for practicing in your bedroom really.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Razgriz_101
you'll need at least amp with DI or a 300W amp to gig with, 15 W are only meant for practicing in your bedroom really.

im gonna be using one of those, but you didn't answer my question...
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
sounds like it could be a jack input problem on either the bass or the amplifier, check the bass with a diffrent amp and another bass on the amp.

Also the higher you go the worse sound quality you retain aswell as potentially pushing the speakers further causing damage.

Or there could be a chance its good old 60 cycle hum.

What gear you got as in amp,bass and any pedals?
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
The buzz is from either you Bass or Amp not being grounded. Its most likely your Bass though as most amps should be grounded properly through there power cable. If you take the scratch plate off there should be a Yellow or Green wire, this is your ground wire which should be attached to the bridge if it isn't its just a case of soldering it back onto the bridge which should ground your bass and stop the hum. This happens a lot with cheap Basses, the ground wire in my cheap P-Bass copy always comes off no matter how many times I fix it.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
it might even be a cable problem.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
You need to go through a process of elimination. Does the amp hum when nothing is plugged in? If not try changing the jack lead, then try a different guitar. by now you should know if it is the amp lead or bass. If it is the bass then it is probably a break in the earth circuit. Go to the columns and read the guide to intermittent faults.

Good luck.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Does the hum go away when you're touching the strings?

yes

and its definetaly the bass.

the ground wire seems to be soldered correctly
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Quote by alexdoabismo
yes

and its definetaly the bass.

the ground wire seems to be soldered correctly

If that's the case, then even if that wire is ok, it is definitely a ground issue. If the ground to the bridge is solid, make sure all the other wires are solid as well: that the grounded signal from each piece eventually makes it to the sleeve lug on the jack.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_jazz_bass

if something else is loose, solder it to where it needs to go and viola! At least it's a cheap easy fix.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 4, 2009,
Quote by Casketcreep
There is a wire that goes from the ground on the potentiometers to the underside of the bridge, this is your problem.

He may well be right and it won't take long to check but there are loads of other places the break of circuit might be. Sometimes solder doesn't take properly (dry joint) and especially on the input jack it will fail over time sometimes even while being shipped from the manufacturer.

Be systematic in your approach. you may need to trace the earth circuit with a meter.