Heyy Guys,

well as the title states im after a cheap guitar amp head and/or matched cabinete.

Amp Head Reqierments :-

capable of running atleast 2x10 cab
headphone out option
would be an advantage if it came w/o onboard effects
Prerably the same length as the cab but deffenitly no wider

and for the cab 2x10 (pref)
but has to be smallish as i will usally have space constrants
due to profferming with my school stage band

and sugestions???

btw i dont care if there off brand (clones with diffrnt names to avoid copyright)
but cheap as possable

sorry about spelling in a rush
Quote by wiliscool
When You Type Like That I Hear Brick Tamland's Voice In My Head.
Man... that sounds so much like the Marshall MG ministack
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The cheaper you go, the worse quality your gear will be. Any amp head with a headphone out is something I would be suspicious of, as it gives the impression of an oversized practice amp (like a Line 6 Spider).

Also, it will be hard to find a 2x10 cab that isn't a bass cab. The only guitar cab I can think of that is halfway decent is one by Laney.

Why not just get a combo of some sort? Is it because you want to look "cool" on your school stage? If it is, then that's a pretty poor reason for getting a head and cab. Also, Australia is horrendously overpriced in terms of how much gear costs, and you'd be doing yourself a favour if you got a combo as it would save you some money.

Don't be afraid to look used either, you can find better deals that way.

Quote by ragingkitty

I concur. TS, do not do anything so stupid as to buy anything from Marshall that comes from their MG series.

Also, you are in Australia, whereas most of UG aren't. You should know the websites and most of the shops that may or may not be near you, so get out there and have a look. There will surely be guys in music shops that will point you in the right direction.
Last edited by greggybhoy at Nov 4, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty

Thats exactly what I was thinking...
agree with greggy- dont skimp on an amp. its a long-term investment, get one you wont hate in a year. headphone jack is a maybe (my 60w has one. i dont use it, but regardless, its certainly not an 'oversized practice amp'), but I'd give a thumbs down to onboard effects. i think the digital amps sound awful

as far as cabs, take a look at Avatar. they make really cheap, really good cabs. used to have one before i went off to school
~b
Quote by ChordMonger
...but I'd give a thumbs down to onboard effects. i think the digital amps sound awful...

I'm guessing you've never heard a Vetta?
Quote by ragingkitty

lol definitely sounds like it & also like line6 SS stuff

If you are going tube amp way, then you gotta raise that budget a bit but you wont be disappointed with the tone you will get with it. Going used will get you a lot of good things cheap & dont worry about going second hand cause alot of us use stuff thats already used lol

For $200 budget you are better off looking for a low wattage tube combo, the 4W/5W ones are good for low volumes, also with a tube amp thats is fairly responsive to your playing, you wont need headphones-out. Also as long as you sound good on stage you're gonna be looking cool out there, but otherway around be ready for kids to throw empty bottles at you
Other way, you could look for PODs & other stuff, atleast they sound a bit better than an MG IMO

Quote by greggybhoy
Also, it will be hard to find a 2x10 cab that isn't a bass cab. The only guitar cab I can think of that is halfway decent is one by Laney.

That particular cab is not made in UK by laney but in china, so it raises a little concern in my mind about its durability
Quote by greggybhoy
The cheaper you go, the worse quality your gear will be. Any amp head with a headphone out is something I would be suspicious of, as it gives the impression of an oversized practice amp (like a Line 6 Spider).

Why not just get a combo of some sort? Is it because you want to look "cool" on your school stage? If it is, then that's a pretty poor reason for getting a head and cab. Also, Australia is horrendously overpriced in terms of how much gear costs, and you'd be doing yourself a favour if you got a combo as it would save you some money.

Don't be afraid to look used either, you can find better deals that way.

I concur. TS, do not do anything so stupid as to buy anything from Marshall that comes from their MG series.

Also, you are in Australia, whereas most of UG aren't. You should know the websites and most of the shops that may or may not be near you, so get out there and have a look. There will surely be guys in music shops that will point you in the right direction.

thanks mann i guess your right with the headphone thing its just insted of mic'ing the amp for some of our larger proformancesi could have just DI'd the headphone then send that to the PA or mixer depending on what we're using

i relly what a head insted of a combo is so i can use a 4 speaker cab at home and then us something smaller for gigging with my band

what speaker size do you recemend then isted of 10" i only like that size as 12" is way to large for guitar but i still want some farley good bass response mids and highs dont worry me much

but that is true about the prices over here but there are like no gear whole salers or anything over here

any way could you point me towards some fairly cheapish be reputable amp brands and not marshel thats way outta my price range???
Quote by wiliscool
You need to up your budget... cheap amp heads aren't usually great amp heads.

If you want compact.

Egnater Rebel 20
Blackstar HT-5
Vox Nighttrain
Orange Tiny Terror or Dual Terror
Peavey Windsor Studio (I think that's the one... its the 1.5 watt head from Peavey)
Marshall Haze
THD Univalve or Bivalve
Hayden Mofo

None of these come cheap.

I can't think of any solidstate heads that are small... except the dreaded Marshall MG.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 4, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
TS... from the fact that it sounds suspiciously like the MG ministack, I'm guessing that you've decided to get it... but needed a final confirmation from a guitar forum.

You even specified key aspects of the ministack... 2 cabs... 10" speakers... head same length as cabs... on-board effects. There are not many amps like that... in fact... there is probably only 2... the MG ministack... and the MG ministack Zakk Wylde signature amp.

Please don't do that... GG&A gets a lot of these kinds of thread, we don't like it.

I know what is a potential next post... you start defending the ministack and start highlighting its good points. There are no good points to the MG ministack.

Up your budget and get a tube combo... or get a Peavey Vypyr. That way when the crowd starts booing and throwing bottle rockets... you only have to grab your guitar and your combo amp before legging it.

sorry for the miss understanding by 2x10 cab i ment a cab with 2 10" speakers
similar to this

and nah the MG ministack kinda looks like one of marshels cheap products again like those pocket sized stack mini amps they made
Quote by wiliscool
Why wouldn't you want your 4 speaker cab for school gigs? Surely if you're short on space that's the way to go? And you could just have a smaller on or a combo for in the house. 12" speakers are pretty common for the majority of guitar amps so I don't see what the big deal is there. The difference in bass response is not something that you will find overly noticeable either.

Of course there are musical intrument shops in Australia - I know Queensland is a big state but here's some. Google is your friend.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=musical+instrument+stores+queensland&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU&aq=f&oq=

It's hard to point you in the right direction brand wise, as the price in Oz tends to prohibit most people there from owning anything decent until they hit the big time like Jet and the Vines so it's really a case of shopping around. Go tube if you can though, and don't limit yourself to stacks, or variations thereof. You don't need a halfstack, you don't need 100 watts, especially if it's going to sound crap.

Also, as I mentioned already, look used and you may get a better deal. Check out eBay, your local Gumtree and your local Craigslist.
Last edited by greggybhoy at Nov 4, 2009,
Quote by bill6337
sorry for the miss understanding by 2x10 cab i ment a cab with 2 10" speakers
similar to this

and nah the MG ministack kinda looks like one of marshels cheap products again like those pocket sized stack mini amps they made

Now you're making sense.

I can't think of anything... unless you get something custom from avatar... or just hammer some 2x4 together and load it with two 10" to get a cab.

The best I can think of... maybe something from Orange or something from Vox (they were giving a 212 away with the Nighttrain).

but if you want two 112s... look at Kranks' Rev Jr cabs.

Apologies if my post sounded harsh, but then again... your post wasn't deadly clear.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 4, 2009,
okk thanks heaps guys for the info

but ar'nt tube amps heavy? (this comeing from a guy whos only ever used solidstate amps)
Quote by wiliscool
Quote by bill6337
okk thanks heaps guys for the info

but ar'nt tube amps heavy? (this comeing from a guy whos only ever used solidstate amps)

It depends on the construction of the head itself, but typically... yes... size for size tube amps will be heavier due to the trannies.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
People need to lay off on the "holier than though" attitude of saying "because it doesn't look cool?" You could just as easily question why someone doesn't want a combo without making yourself look like a complete tool. Not everyone has a MG10 and is looking to upgrade to a Line 6 120 half stack. So instead of acting like a pompous jackass, try talking to him like he's your equal, not someone that is inferior to your supreme knowledge of all things musical.
Gear:
Fender USA Standard Strat
1972 Aria "Lawsuit" Les Paul

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb w/Randall cab
Traynor YCV40

Effects: (working on it..)
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
BOSS DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1978 MXR Dist.+
When the words "cheap small amp head" are said, the first thing I can think of is a used Crate Powerblock. It's a 120watt SS head that can fit in a backpack. It's discontinued and only has 1 channel, but it can be found quite cheaply and takes pedals nicely.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by burn out on me
People need to lay off on the "holier than though" attitude of saying "because it doesn't look cool?" You could just as easily question why someone doesn't want a combo without making yourself look like a complete tool. Not everyone has a MG10 and is looking to upgrade to a Line 6 120 half stack. So instead of acting like a pompous jackass, try talking to him like he's your equal, not someone that is inferior to your supreme knowledge of all things musical.

I'm very sorry. Let me rephrase.

Dear threadstarter,

may I ask why you want a head + cab and not a combo while all you needs and wishes clearly point my thoughts towards a combo.
Also, if you can, give us a budget and what type of music you are going to be playing. If it is for school I am going to assume that you are playing jazz or something?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
well i wont the ability to change the cab i use i.e size sound ect

plus its easier to carry a head then a cab than both
Quote by wiliscool
that powerblock crate head thing is prolly perfect for you. Won't sound like tubes but it's small and light.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
is there something the same but still in production,
and what could something like that handle speaker wise?
Quote by wiliscool
When I read the original post I immediately thought of a SpiderValve combo. It would be great for you, as you did say onboard FX were a plus. It's also relatively cheap and loud enough for gigs. No headphone out as far as I know though.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I have a powerblock as a practice amplifier.
Ebay can be a marvelous friend.
Sounds amazing for jazz clean tones.