Hey I bought an Epiphone Dot off a mate today only thing is he's put a sticker on the body (some of you might recognize it from YouTube?). Just wondering if I just pull it off is it likely to leave any marks or anything on the body? He said it's just the kind of stuff you cover your books with.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7167/dscf0013a.jpg
looks like half a schwasticka(SP?)
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
looks like half a schwasticka(SP?)

never seen a swatstika have you..... looks like a "S"

after you`ve removed the sticker (use IPA - isopropanol removes all the stickyness fom the glue)

you may end up with the area where the sticker was being lighter than the surrounding finish `cos the atmosphere an UV wouldn`t of reached the finish underneath.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
never seen a swatstika have you..... looks like a "S"

after you`ve removed the sticker (use IPA - isopropanol removes all the stickyness fom the glue)

you may end up with the area where the sticker was being lighter than the surrounding finish `cos the atmosphere an UV wouldn`t of reached the finish underneath.

i've never seen half of one, but that sticker is what i always imagined....
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
If the guitar has a gloss finish it is pretty easy. What is the sticker made from? Paper or Vinyl? If it's paper you can use the damp cloth method but if it's vinyl it will not be softened by moisture. I find the best way to remove stickers is to use a hair dryer to warm it up and just carefully peel it off and use rubbing alcohol to get the glue off. I have used paint thinner for tuff glues it usually doesn't effect a poly finish but stay away from it if possible.

Sometimes if the sticker has been on the guitar for a long time the finish might be brighter because it's protected from wear and light. Once you have the sticker and the glue off just use guitar polish.

This works on poly finish guitars not nitro.
Getting stickers off nitro is a nightmare. I have seen the finish pulled right off a nitro finished guitar. There are things you just can't use like alcohol, water or even slight heat from a hair dryer on nitro finishes.

John
i used 'goo gone' to take the stickers off my guitar... but then I refinished it so I didn't car too much about the quality... it still cleaned it alright though...
Goo Gone or lighter fluid will remove the crap left by the sticker.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I don't trust using Goof or Goo Gone. I have had problems with those in the past crazing finishes they will remover the glue but you take a chance of it ruining your guitar. I wouldn't take a chance with lighter fluid. Poly is pretty much bullet proof but there are items that will mess it up especially anything acetone base. I use fingernail polish to touch up chips and it works well but using fingernail polish remover will really F up a poly finish.

John