Hey there.

Alright, for a while I've wanted a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR and will likely be purchasing one within the next few months. However, I have a couple of questions.

While I WILL be trying as many guitars recommended here (including the Schecter) as I can, I would still like to ask what you all think of the EMGs/coil tap for playing stuff OTHER than metal. Some of what I play is grungish (alice in chains, nirvana, etc distortion) and alternative (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVEof8zHXNY). If this guitar won't sound good doing that then I would rather find something a little more versatile.

What do you all think? In that price range what are my other options? Keep in mind that while I would rather have versatility I do not necessarily want something that will do the above but sound subpar in the process.

I'm also looking for the best price for these guitars. What's my best bet? Are there any vendors that are particularly good? Should I try to buy locally?

Thanks!
Last edited by Romanne at Nov 4, 2009,
its a bit hard to give advice on that topic without knowing were you are ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

buying locally gives you the opportunity to find the right guitar for you, you`ll know when you find it as you will be in the store for hours playing the same guitar.....play as many as possible though within your budget.

i think high/ mid output passives will be better for you though rather than active EMGs
My Cort has EMG 81/85 set and it is brilliant at Les Paul/SG type sounds as well as the expected heavier stuff. Maybe its the Mahogany body but I have no problem with versatility from blues to metal. Its really down to your ears and trying as many alternatives as you can. My local guitar shop has a soundproof room at the back but the owner lets me sound check with long cables from the shop. I find that's a really good way to discover what you'll sound like from an audience position.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Romanne
Hey there.

Alright, for a while I've wanted a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR and will likely be purchasing one within the next few months. However, I have a couple of questions.

(1)While I WILL be trying as many guitars recommended here (including the Schecter) as I can, I would still like to ask what you all think of the EMGs/coil tap for playing stuff OTHER than metal. Some of what I play is grungish (alice in chains, nirvana, etc distortion) and alternative (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVEof8zHXNY). If this guitar won't sound good doing that then I would rather find something a little more versatile.

(2)What do you all think? In that price range what are my other options? Keep in mind that while I would rather have versatility I do not necessarily want something that will do the above but sound subpar in the process.

(3)I'm also looking for the best price for these guitars. What's my best bet? Are there any vendors that are particularly good? Should I try to buy locally?

Thanks!

1) What amp do you mainly play through? Amp plays a larger role then the pickups
2) Meh good specs for the guitar but once again sound depends on your amp
3) drumcityguitarland usually have the better prices but try and buy locally at all cost.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
buying locally gives you the opportunity to find the right guitar for you, you`ll know when you find it as you will be in the store for hours playing the same guitar.....play as many as possible though within your budget.

i think high/ mid output passives will be better for you though rather than active EMGs

I would rather buy online if it'll be cheaper. Regardless of where I buy, though, I'm not purchasing without a sound test if at ALL possible.
Quote by Lurcher
My Cort has EMG 81/85 set and it is brilliant at Les Paul/SG type sounds as well as the expected heavier stuff. Maybe its the Mahogany body but I have no problem with versatility from blues to metal. Its really down to your ears and trying as many alternatives as you can. My local guitar shop has a soundproof room at the back but the owner lets me sound check with long cables from the shop. I find that's a really good way to discover what you'll sound like from an audience position.

Aye, I'll definitely see if I can't do something like that locally. Sounds like the owner is a pretty cool guy. : P

Quote by azn_guitarist25
1) What amp do you mainly play through? Amp plays a larger role then the pickups
2) Meh good specs for the guitar but once again sound depends on your amp
3) drumcityguitarland usually have the better prices but try and buy locally at all cost.

At the moment I have a B-52 AT-112. I'll check out that site, too. Thanks!
Hm. How are blackouts? SD makes some nice pick-ups, and while I'm still leaning toward the EMGs it'd definitely be something I'd like to try. What does UG think?
Anyone have any further suggestions or comments on the blackouts? Like I said, I'll be trying out plenty of guitars around me, but it'd be cool to have some direction or suggestions so that I have at least some idea of what I'm looking for.
Carvin makes a wide variety of quality guitars with lots of versatility. I don't own one, but I want to- everyone I know who does is quite happy with them.

And not only do they have a 10-day trial period for their mail orders, they're headquartered in California, and have physical stores in some cities.
tp://www.carvinguitars.com/locations/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
What amp have you got? That's you biggest tone impact. I tried out a Shecter with EMGs the other day and I found it to be surprisingly versatile. I played it through a Peavey 3120, and it was great. It wasn't a floyd rose model, but it was very good.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
What amp have you got? That's you biggest tone impact. I tried out a Shecter with EMGs the other day and I found it to be surprisingly versatile. I played it through a Peavey 3120, and it was great. It wasn't a floyd rose model, but it was very good.

Currently I have a B-52 AT-112, a digitech bad monkey OD, and an MXR 10 band EQ. This Christmas I'll likely pick up a Tubescreamer to replace the BM. I wish that I could test the Schecter through MY amp, but GC doesn't have them and I don't know of another guitar store around me that would, either.
Passive pickups > Actives IF AND ONLY IF you prefer the sound of passives. Otherwise, Actives are better.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me