Could I buy pro tools software and install it on my pc now, and then if I get a mac in a few months install it on there or will I need to buy a mac specific version?

Also would it be best to buy an interface such as the M audio fast track which comes with the LE version and then upgrade it?

Finally can I use a dynamic mic straight into the fast track interface and record at decent levels?

Thanks yo.
1. Yes pro tools is also made for mac, but i dunno whether you need to buy a new version
2. Being hardware dependant software, you NEED an m-box interface for it to work. All m-boxes have phantom power so you could use any mic, thought with a dynamic you wouldn't need it
it'll install on either a PC or a Mac - just make sure the hardware is plugged in. the install disc has both OS's on it.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by Martindecorum
1.dont think pro tools is made for mac, Not 100% sure though

Are you nuts man?

99.9999% of the Pro Audio industry is ProTools HD running on Macs.

the other 0.01% is divided between Logic running on Macs an Cubase.
Pro Tools was originally a Mac based program back in the day when it first started under the name Sound Tools. It is also correct that most studios nowadays all have the same computer setup: Mac Pros with 8-core Nehalem processors, 16 GB of DDR3 RAM, yada yada yada. And a whole lot of DSP cards and etc...

M-Audio Fast Track DOES NOT come with PT LE as it is an M-AUDIO interface, if anything it might come with PT M-POWERED but not LE.
Now many people confuse M-Audio with M-Box BUT they're NOT in the same league at all.

M-Box = Digidesign, comes with Pro Tools LE.

M-Audio = M-Audio, most don't come with anything but some have a demo of M-Powered.
NOT COMPATIBLE with LE, only for use with M-Powered.

M-Powered comes with a USB dongle (for security) with which you can open up M-Powered on any computer SO technically you could buy the Mac in a while and when you do, keep Pro Tools installed on both your Mac and your PC. Then, when you want to use your Mac, you put USB key in the Mac and when you want to use the PC, you put the USB key in the PC.

ALSO: if you feel a bit confused (which is normal, Pro Tools is pretty ****ed up) about all this, feel free to ask me and it'll be my pleasure to help you out. Questions about Pro Tools, Cubase, interfaces, mics, computers, you name it. Cheers.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Last edited by miguelito2729 at Nov 4, 2009,
Quote by TheDriller
Are you nuts man?

99.9999% of the Pro Audio industry is ProTools HD running on Macs.

the other 0.01% is divided between Logic running on Macs an Cubase.

I would say that both Cubase and Logic are substantially more popular that, especially among people who use MIDI extensively, something that Pro Tools is infamously terrible with. (Although to be fair, the latest version of Pro Tools has has gone a good length to fix that, it's still pretty inferior to pretty much every other major DAW on the market in that regard.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I would say that both Cubase and Logic are substantially more popular that, especially among people who use MIDI extensively, something that Pro Tools is infamously terrible with. (Although to be fair, the latest version of Pro Tools has has gone a good length to fix that, it's still pretty inferior to pretty much every other major DAW on the market in that regard.

true, i was specifically refering to the "Pro" world, (whatever that means anymore).
but in the home/project studio end of things, yes, Logic and Cubase are extremely popular.

im a Logic user myself btw
spent 4 years at college using PTHD rigs, and i've dabbled in a bit of Cubase.
i prefer Logic by a long way.
PRO TOOLS 8 LE midi is a hell alot better than you think . you can practically turn it into sibalius
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by TheDriller
true, i was specifically refering to the "Pro" world, (whatever that means anymore).
but in the home/project studio end of things, yes, Logic and Cubase are extremely popular.

im a Logic user myself btw
spent 4 years at college using PTHD rigs, and i've dabbled in a bit of Cubase.
i prefer Logic by a long way.

I was talkinag about Pros, especially Hip Hop/R&B and EDM producers, also a lot of people who work on soundtracks.

Quote by hans the lefty
PRO TOOLS 8 LE midi is a hell alot better than you think . you can practically turn it into sibalius

I already acknowledge that it improved a lot in 8. but it's still pretty mediocre compared to other DAWs, and Sibelius is terrible at sequencing MIDI properly, it works great in the program but exporting and importing tends to be a pretty horrible experience.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I was talkinag about Pros, especially Hip Hop/R&B and EDM producers, also a lot of people who work on soundtracks.

I think we're getting our wires crossed here. what i meant was the Pro Audio world, not just the Pro Music world.

you won't find anyone spotting Dialogue to SMPTE timecode for film in Cubase or Logic, and that kind of non-music work makes up the vast majority of the "Audio" industry.

of course Musicians/Producers make use of Logic and other DAWs, but thats not what i was refering to.

sorry for the confusion
ahh yeah, that makes more sense, although once again I would have to say that ProTools is getting some more serious competition, although for stuff like that Nuendo is it's biggest competitor.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
ahh yeah, that makes more sense, although once again I would have to say that ProTools is getting some more serious competition, although for stuff like that Nuendo is it's biggest competitor.

without a doubt.
still, it will probably be another 10 years or so before native-based solutions are able to match the consistent stability of TDM.
Quote by miguelito2729
Pro Tools was originally a Mac based program back in the day when it first started under the name Sound Tools. It is also correct that most studios nowadays all have the same computer setup: Mac Pros with 8-core Nehalem processors, 16 GB of DDR3 RAM, yada yada yada. And a whole lot of DSP cards and etc...

M-Audio Fast Track DOES NOT come with PT LE as it is an M-AUDIO interface, if anything it might come with PT M-POWERED but not LE.
Now many people confuse M-Audio with M-Box BUT they're NOT in the same league at all.

M-Box = Digidesign, comes with Pro Tools LE.

M-Audio = M-Audio, most don't come with anything but some have a demo of M-Powered.
NOT COMPATIBLE with LE, only for use with M-Powered.

M-Powered comes with a USB dongle (for security) with which you can open up M-Powered on any computer SO technically you could buy the Mac in a while and when you do, keep Pro Tools installed on both your Mac and your PC. Then, when you want to use your Mac, you put USB key in the Mac and when you want to use the PC, you put the USB key in the PC.

ALSO: if you feel a bit confused (which is normal, Pro Tools is pretty ****ed up) about all this, feel free to ask me and it'll be my pleasure to help you out. Questions about Pro Tools, Cubase, interfaces, mics, computers, you name it. Cheers.

Awesome, thanks.

If I bought an M-audio box with PT M-powered will I be able to buy the upgrade to the full program as I could if I had LE?
Quote by badgerific
Awesome, thanks.

If I bought an M-audio box with PT M-powered will I be able to buy the upgrade to the full program as I could if I had LE?

the full version is ProTools HD , which runs off its own DSP cards and runs to about $10,000 for a decent setup.

there is an upgrade path from LE to HD, but its still serious money.

you'll do fine with M-Powered for now man
Quote by badgerific
Awesome, thanks.

I wouldn't really consider such a thing as a "full program of Pro Tools", I would say it's more different "flavors" (best I could find lol) to catter to different needs:

M-Powered for more budget-conscious, amateur recording purposes. Mostly home project studios. Musicians, composers, hobbyists.

LE is a little further up the scale, requires more investment. More possibilities, can be very basic OR even approach the quality and level of HD (Black Lion Mods, etc....). It's somewhat in the middle and more targeted towards semi-professional recordings, like freelance engineers and producers who want to have a home studio, run their own thing you know.

HD is the top of line, terminator of them all. The brutal beast, nothing it can't handle BUT it's a humongous investment (minimum 10,000$ for a decent setup). This is the weapon of choice for commercial studios, professional (as people who's profession it is), big time producers/ engineers, post-production studios, etc....

You can't really "upgrade" per say from one to the other since they all require different setups or interfaces.

M-Powered = all M-Audio interfaces
LE = MBox (NOT to be confused with M-Audio) family or 003 family, the software being included in this case
HD = 96 io OR 192 io soundcards (most of the time) with DSP cards and the whole shebang.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.