The 3 last years I've just used a Roland Cube-60. It sounds great when I'm just playing in my room. I'm now in a band and we're playing Dream Theater songs.

Where we practice there's an ENGL. Can't remember which model, we've only been there once. It sounds great but when we're going to play shows and such, I will need an amp of my own. I don't have the money for that yet, but I thought about maybe buy a distortion pedal? What do you think I shall do? Save money and buy an amp or buy a distortion pedal?

Right now I thought about buying a distortion pedal then save money for an amp later? But I'm thinking, what pedal should I buy to get the John Petrucci distortion? Any recommendations?
Check out the song on my profile. What do you think?
Quote by JBA
The 3 last years I've just used a Roland Cube-60. It sounds great when I'm just playing in my room. I'm now in a band and we're playing Dream Theater songs.

Where we practice there's an ENGL. Can't remember which model, we've only been there once. It sounds great but when we're going to play shows and such, I will need an amp of my own. I don't have the money for that yet, but I thought about maybe buy a distortion pedal? What do you think I shall do? Save money and buy an amp or buy a distortion pedal?

Right now I thought about buying a distortion pedal then save money for an amp later? But I'm thinking, what pedal should I buy to get the John Petrucci distortion? Any recommendations?

To get Petrucci distortion you will need to save for several lifetimes. One thing I can GUARANTEE, however, is that you will come nowhere close from just a pedal. Get an amp first.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
To get Petrucci distortion you will need to save for several lifetimes. One thing I can GUARANTEE, however, is that you will come nowhere close from just a pedal. Get an amp first.

True that.

Get an amp first, distortion pedals are only worth it if you have a nice amp, and solid state amps like a Cube usually don't get along with pedals.
He uses, I believe, a Mesa Boogie Mark V most of the time. It's not only expensive, but also big, heavy, and very often much louder than you wish it was.

The amp with make the largest difference, hands down. But if you want to same some money, I recommend the Mesa 50 Cal or 22 Cal, which are lower wattage older Mesa amps. They sound a little more dated in the EQ department, but you can fix that with a little knob twiddling.

Also, check out www.olcircuits.com. They have a pedal modeled after a Boogie amp, with FETs where the tubes normally go. I have the SLO-100 modeling pedal, and the thing sounds fantastic. That, plus any good-quality tube amp with decent speakers, will get you 2/3rds of the Petrucci tone easy.
How about an AMT California Sound pedal into the clean channel of the cube? Very "Boogie" ish tones.

video clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K14TtBAiLhI

Can be had for ~$120 US.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by jean_genie
He uses, I believe, a Mesa Boogie Mark V most of the time. It's not only expensive, but also big, heavy, and very often much louder than you wish it was.

The amp with make the largest difference, hands down. But if you want to same some money, I recommend the Mesa 50 Cal or 22 Cal, which are lower wattage older Mesa amps. They sound a little more dated in the EQ department, but you can fix that with a little knob twiddling.

Also, check out www.olcircuits.com. They have a pedal modeled after a Boogie amp, with FETs where the tubes normally go. I have the SLO-100 modeling pedal, and the thing sounds fantastic. That, plus any good-quality tube amp with decent speakers, will get you 2/3rds of the Petrucci tone easy.

I've been a little bit around the internet for the Mesa 50 Cal and the 22 Cal. But I can't find them on Mesa Boogies web site? I also see that some people like them and don't like that at all.

That pedal who was modeled after a Boogie amp is this
http://www.olcircuits.com/olc_slowcentury.html
right?
It looks really interesting but I can't find much information about on the net.
Last edited by JBA at Nov 4, 2009,
Quote by JBA
I've been a little bit around the internet for the Mesa 50 Cal and the 22 Cal. But I can't find them on Mesa Boogies web site? I also see that some people like them and don't like that at all.

That pedal who was modeled after a Boogie amp is this
http://www.olcircuits.com/olc_slowcentury.html
right?
It looks really interesting but I can't find much information about on the net.

I own the Mesa .50 Cal+ and it's very aggresive and crunchy while distorted. It's basically 80's heavy distortion that sounds modern enough if you play with high treble and decent bass. I could give you a better response later on since I have class in a few mins but feel free to PM me.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Petrucci also recently changed the pickups he uses. DiMarzio LiquiFire for the neck and DiMarzio Crunch Lab for the bridge. Amps are only half the story!
I stepped upon the platform, the man gave me the news
He said, "You must be joking son, where did you get those shoes?"
The closest you'll get on a budget to Petrucci's tone is a Mark III Red Stripe and a guitar with high output pickups. The man's got a huge rack and more effects than you can imagine though so it's still not gonna be all that close. Forget about getting that tone out of a pedal.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by paranoid70
Petrucci also recently changed the pickups he uses. DiMarzio LiquiFire for the neck and DiMarzio Crunch Lab for the bridge. Amps are only half the story!

Pickups won't make THAT much of a difference, the biggest improvement the TS can make to his sound is the amp, pickups will perfect tone, not radically change it.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Petrucci has used almost every Mesa model under the sun for both recording and touring purposes.

He's also used a plethora of dirt pedals over his career.

Its literally impossible to nail his tone with a Cube and a single dirt pedal.

Quote by Zoso1994
Pickups won't make THAT much of a difference, the biggest improvement the TS can make to his sound is the amp, pickups will perfect tone, not radically change it.

Play a guitar with something like a Dimarzio Air Classic and play that same guitar with something like a Dimarzio X2N and tell me there isn't a radical change in tone.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Play a guitar with something like a Dimarzio Air Classic and play that same guitar with something like a Dimarzio X2N and tell me there isn't a radical change in tone.

I meant radical as in making the difference between a cube and petrucci's setup. Pups are clearly not the way to go here, amp is first in this case at least.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

mesa mark v
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Here's a list of his current touring gear, if you want something similar to his recent live tone. Basically a Mark V would get you there, the rest is fine tuning it.
http://www.johnpetrucci.com/gear.htm
But thats only his live tone. He's also used Mark IV's, III's, IIC+'s, Triaxis, Lonestars for his cleans, Recto's (layered with the Triaxis)
Try looking for a Mesa DC-3. I think that they're highly underrated amps in the mesa line, and although discontinued, will get you closer to where you want to be than with a 22 or 50 cal. Also, they run pretty cheap used, something like 600-700 USD.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I'm not thinking about getting a distortion pedal anymore. I tried to play as loud as I have to when I'm playing with the band on the Cube-60 and it sounds horrible while playing loud. It sounds good if I'm just playing in my room but I can never have a gig with it.

So I definitely need an amp. I'm thinking about getting a Mesa .50 Cal+ and a cab. I like everything I read and hear about it. Don't really know about the Mesa DC-3 yet.

It's kinda embarrassing that I don't have an amp if we are going to do a gig with our band
Quote by ibz_bucket
Try looking for a Mesa DC-3. I think that they're highly underrated amps in the mesa line, and although discontinued, will get you closer to where you want to be than with a 22 or 50 cal. Also, they run pretty cheap used, something like 600-700 USD.

This, times ten. Stonking great amps for Petrucci tones, and easy to find a a DC3 or DC5 for $500 or less if you look around.
As far as I know he uses a Dual Rec with SHITLOADS of outboard EQ and processing. Dual Recs are normally very fizzy. He has a much more processed tone. His live tone doesn't sound like the tone on the records.

Pedals have the advantage of being easier to tweak and getting a specific sound in a box so you might actually find a pedal that does it. You'll need a decent amp to go with it though.
Ok, so I've been looking at the Mesa Boogie Dual Caliber DC-5. The price is acceptable to me and I like what I read about it. But seriously, where can I buy this thing? I live in Norway and that makes everything a lot harder. I've been looking every Norwegian music stores web pages and NONE of them have it. I can't find it anywhere else either. I found the combo on eBay, but I rather want to get just the head and then buy a cab.

I can't find it on Mesa Boogies web page. Is this thing still being made or not?

And by the way, it must fit Norwegian power plugs and sockets. Do anyone know anything about that?
Quote by JBA
Ok, so I've been looking at the Mesa Boogie Dual Caliber DC-5. The price is acceptable to me and I like what I read about it. But seriously, where can I buy this thing? I live in Norway and that makes everything a lot harder. I've been looking every Norwegian music stores web pages and NONE of them have it. I can't find it anywhere else either. I found the combo on eBay, but I rather want to get just the head and then buy a cab.

I can't find it on Mesa Boogies web page. Is this thing still being made or not?

And by the way, it must fit Norwegian power plugs and sockets. Do anyone know anything about that?

They stopped making it in the late 90s, you'll only find it through used dealers and eBay etc. Brand new, it would have cost well more than double what you'd expect to pay now so believe me, going used is the way to get a good deal.

The DC heads are pretty hard to get hold of, though I don't see what's wrong with the combo to be honest. I owned one for about two years and they're superb gigging amps.