Cruisin through Musiciansfriend the other day and I came across the Epiphone Valve Senior.

Lately I've been looking for a new amp, preferably a small tube amp (5-20 watts), and this looks to fit the bill perfectly, although since it is brand new I'm not really sure how good it is.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it or it's Junior counterpart (although they arent really the same amp, the junior has 1 knob the Senior has like 6).

And also if someone could give any insight or comparison to some of these amps:

Orange Tiny/Dual Terror
Vox Night Train
Vox AC4TV
Egnater Rebel
Blackstar HT-5 (not sure if they sell these in Canada though, so...)
Blackheart amps
Valve Junior
or any other small tube amps, even up to 40 watts.

I play anything really, I like to have great cleans, but also some decently heavy distortion/fuzz (I plan on buying a pedal once I get a new amp). Probably the heaviest I will be playing would be something along the lines of Weedeater (blues-metal riffs) or System of a Down (decent chug).

ANy help is greatly appreciated.
I seen this the other day too...and the hot rod is available now too. I used to have a Blackheart and Valve Jr. that I modded...got really bored with both really fast. I've played the AC4 a few times and its a great sounding amp. Didn't care for the HT-5 when I played it...and I've yet to play the Egnater. When I decided I wanted a lower wattage, compact tube amp...I was researching online and narrowed it down to the Orange TT and the VOX NT...played both, and the Night Train was just a better amp imo. Its great for what I need it for (its not my main rig)...the cleans are great, even at practice volumes...and it takes pedals very well.

EDIT:

I'd also recommend a Peavey Classic 30 if you decide to go the combo route. Very clean amps, and will take fuzz and boost pedals very well.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Nov 4, 2009,
I don't think a low-wattage amp could actually get you the all tones you want.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
the tiny terror/twin terror are good amps for the gritty od but as for the cleans the vox NT.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Tedward
Cruisin through Musiciansfriend the other day and I came across the Epiphone Valve Senior.

Lately I've been looking for a new amp, preferably a small tube amp (5-20 watts), and this looks to fit the bill perfectly, although since it is brand new I'm not really sure how good it is.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it or it's Junior counterpart (although they arent really the same amp, the junior has 1 knob the Senior has like 6).

And also if someone could give any insight or comparison to some of these amps:

Orange Tiny/Dual Terror
Vox Night Train
Vox AC4TV
Egnater Rebel
Blackstar HT-5 (not sure if they sell these in Canada though, so...)
Blackheart amps
Valve Junior
or any other small tube amps, even up to 40 watts.

I play anything really, I like to have great cleans, but also some decently heavy distortion/fuzz (I plan on buying a pedal once I get a new amp). Probably the heaviest I will be playing would be something along the lines of Weedeater (blues-metal riffs) or System of a Down (decent chug).

ANy help is greatly appreciated.

Blackheart... has quite a fat tone... its tone is a little one dimensional (somewhat lacking in character, sounds generic) if you ask me. It can't do metal well, at least not without some good OD / Dist... and an EQ. Its not a chugga amp. For da bloos... its a pretty good amp.

Egnater Rebel is quite good. Again not quite your chugga amp. Plus the tube switching isn't really prominent unless you get into really high volume territory. Also as a single channel amp, you'll need to crank it quite loud to get some natural OD. However, if you use the wattage selector effectively, you can get good OD at lower levels too.

Orange TT... good for the signature Orange tone... but not exactly as high quality as something like the Rockverb. Its a bit of a budget amp with some bells and whistles. Overdriven it can get a little muddy.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 5, 2009,
i like the egnater a lot. i have a rebel 20 and the only draw back for me is that its a single channel. but i use it at very low volumes and it still sounds great, i crank it up all the way and its great still. i still want try the valve sr and jr hot rod, but havent gotten around to it. im in the market right now for another low watt tube amp and i think i like the night train out of what's left. i cant find a tiny terror around me so i dont know what those orange amps are like. but all in all i find the egnater versatile enough for all i play, cleans to metal.
ya thanks for the replies!

I know that it's nearly impossible to find a uber-versatile small tube amp (or even a large tube amp) but I'm not super picky with the metal-tones.

As long as I can fuzz it out without hum/squealing I'm okay with it.

So far I'm pretty set on trying to find a Valve Senior, TT, and a AC4TV or Nighttrain to try out.

The egnater looks good (I've played the Tourmaster, loved it) but it's pretty expensive compared to the NT and the TT, about $150 more, and a little less than the Dual Terror.
Quote by Tedward
I know that it's nearly impossible to find a uber-versatile small tube amp (or even a large tube amp) but I'm not super picky with the metal-tones.

As long as I can fuzz it out without hum/squealing I'm okay with it..

Then I think you might want to consider the Blackheart Little Giant... it'll be a good fit for what you need.

With some of the mods from people like Mercury Magnetics... it can get pretty cool.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Well, being a satisfied Rebel 20 owner, I would suggest it. It's similar to the Night Train but with more features/more versitility. The Tiny Terror is really muddy and I find that it's WAY overpriced in Canada for an amp with three knobs. Keep in mind that 5 watt amps won't have enough power to gig with. I tried a Valve Senior in the States and it wasn't that great.

I have yet to find a Blackstar dealer in Canada. I played a HT5 in the states and it was ok. Gets too much hype imo.

The Blackheart and Valve Junior probably won't get enough gain by themselves for what you play. I think the AC4 could do it cranked.

Also.......

Canada ftw!

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I think the Valve Senior will be a much better modding platform than its predecessor, and could probably be modded to have a clean channel. If you're going to buy a low wattage tube amp I'd wait 'til some mods for it come out.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??